[REL] rF2 Shared Memory Tools for Developers

Discussion in 'Other' started by The Iron Wolf, Jan 19, 2017.

1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Hi fellow rF2 Players,

Please find rFactor 2 Shared Memory Tools for Developers.

Download:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/45kvt7p3lb23gww/rf2_sm_tools_3.7.15.0.zip/file

Install:
    Drop rFactor2SharedMemoryMapPlugin64.dll into [rF2Root]\Bin64\Plugins

Description
    This plugin mirrors exposed rFactor 2 internal state into shared memory buffers. Essentially, this is direct memcpy of rFactor 2 internals (except for extended stuff implemented to workaround API limitations/bugs). Plugin also allows some level of input back into the rFactor 2 API.

Reading and writing shared memory allows creating external tools running outside of rFactor 2 and written in languages other than C++ (C# sample is included). It also allows keeping CPU time impact in rFactor 2 plugin threads to the minimum.

This plugin is carefully implemented with an intent of becoming a shared component for reading rF2 internals. For read operations, it can handle any number of clients without slowing down rF2 plugin thread. A lot of work was done to ensure it is as efficient and reliable as possible.

rFactor 2 API has some limitations/bugs, and plugin tries to deal with that by deriving some information: basic accumulated damage info, tracking session transitions and optionally reading game memory directly.

This work is based on:
    - rF2 Internals Plugin sample #7 by ISI/S397 found at: https://www.studio-397.com/modding-resources/
    - rF1 Shared Memory Map Plugin by Dan Allongo found at: https://github.com/dallongo/rFactorSharedMemoryMap

Source: https://github.com/TheIronWolfModding/rF2SharedMemoryMapPlugin

Refresh Rates:
    * Telemetry - 50FPS.
    * Scoring - 5FPS.
    * Rules - 3FPS.
    * Multi Rules - on callback from a game, usually once a session and in between sessions.
    * ForceFeedback - 400FPS.
    * Graphics - 400FPS.
    * Pit Info - 100FPS.
    * Weather - 1FPS.
    * Extended - 5FPS and on tracked callback by the game.

Uses:

• Basic: Most clients (HUDs, Dashes, visualizers) won't need synchronization, see rF2SMMonitor.MappedBuffer<>.GetMappedDataUnsynchronized for sample implementation.
    • Advanced: If you would like to make sure you're not reading a torn (partially overwritten) frame, see rF2SMMonitor.MainForm.MappedBuffer<>.GetMappedData for sample implementation.
    Distribution and reuse
    You are allowed to include this .dll with your distribution, as long as it is:

• Free
    • Readme is included
    • You had my permission via email
    Please also be aware, that Crew Chief will always ship with the latest version of the .dll and will overwrite .dll to match its version. I do not expect compatibility to break without game changing its model, aside from rF2Extended buffer, which contains stuff not directly exposed by the game. Every time layout of memory changes, second digit in Plugin version is incremented.

Current known clients
    Donations:
    If you would like to support Crew Chief Mega Corp Team, and all sorts of immoral lifestyle, send beer money here.

Release history:

09/07/2020 - v3.7.14.2

This version introduces input buffers. See "Input Buffers" readme section for more info.

Plugin:
    * Expose `rF2PitInfo` and `rF2Weather` buffers. Special thanks for prototyping `AccessPitMenu` and `CheckHWControl` plugin functionality go to Tony Whitley.
    * Expose `rF2HWControl` input buffer, which allows sending limited number of inputs into the game.
    * Expose `rF2WeatherControl` input buffer, which allows changing weather conditions dynamically.
    * Expose `rF2PluginControl` input buffer. Allows requesting additional plugin features dynamically.
    * Experimental: Expose `rF2RulesControl` input buffer, which allows sending rules input into the game.
    * Intenral: rework tracing and reduce code duplication.

Monitor:
    * Updated to demo newly added features.

11/10/2019 - v3.7.1.0

Plugin:

• Expose UsubscribedBuffersMask via rF2Extended::mUnsubscribedBuffersMask. This can be used by clients to validate UBM, and might be made client writable in the future.
    11/08/2019 - v3.7.0.0

Plugin:
    • Expose rF2Graphics (GraphicsInfoV02) buffer via $rFactor2SMMP_Graphics$. Note that it is not subsribed to by default.
    • It is now possible to configure which buffers get updated and which don't. This is done via UnsubscribedBuffersMask value in the CustomPluginVariables.json file. To specify buffers to unsubscribe from, add desired flag values up.
    Telemetry = 1, Scoring = 2, Rules = 4, MultiRules = 8, ForceFeedback = 16, Graphics = 32

So, to unsubscribe from Multi Rules and Graphics buffeers set UnsubscribedBuffersMask to 40 (8 + 32).

05/01/2019 - v3.6.0.0

Plugin:
    • Fix version string not behaving as expected (breaking rF2Extended change, Sorry!)
      • Reduce amount of string copies in DMA mode.
    03/29/2019 - v3.5.0.9

Plugin:

• Expose LSI messages in DMA mode.
    • Clear out accumulated damage on return to Monitor.
    • Harden DMA mode against crashes.
    Monitor:

• Implement Frozen Order detection based on LSI messages. That's the only way to handle FO in the online sessions.

02/08/2019 - v3.4.0.6

Plugin/Monitor:

• Expose Stock Car Rules plugin FCY instruction message in DMA mode.
    • Deprecate SCR plugin hosting (breaking change).

01/28/2019 - v3.3.0.6

Plugin/Monitor:

• Expose Message Center messages, global status message and pit lane speed values via rF2Extended buffer. This functionality if off by default and is enabled via "EnableDirectMemoryAccess" plugin variable.

12/15/2018 - v3.2.0.0

Plugin/Monitor:

• Update exposed field headers and C# marhsaling code to include fields found in Rules/Knockout Qualifying plugins. See this commit to see what has changed.

09/04/2018 - v3.1.0.0

Plugin:

• Exposed FFB info. Add $rFactor2SMMP_ForceFeedback$ buffer to map rF2ForceFeedback structure. Note that since it is a single value buffer, and it is updated at 400FPS, no synchronization is applied nor needed while reading it.
    Monitor:

• Updated to expose FFB info.
    03/29/2018 - v3.0.1.0

Plugin:
    • Add DedicatedServerMapGlobally preference to allow mapping dedicated server shared memory buffers to global section, so that users running under other accounts can access them. Note that "Create Global Objects" permission is needed on user account running dedicated server.

02/21/2018 - v3.0.0.1

Hotfix for physics options not being captured.

02/16/2018 - v3.0.0.0

Rework Plugin to replace mutexes with buffer version tracking mechanism. Update Monitor to match new way of reading data.

01/24/2018 - v2.4.0.0

Plugin:

• Expose Stock Car Rules plugin DoubleFileType setting.
    • Rearrange rF2Extended to better expose hosted plugin variables.
    Monitor:

• Improve Rolling Start detection when no SC present.
    • Correctly calculate distance to the SC.
    • Add Frozen Order sub-phases for Rolling start without SC, while assigned pole/pole row.
    01/02/2018 - v2.3.1.2

Plugin:

• Allow hosting of StockCarRules.dll plugin. Capture mMessage members filled out by SCR plugin and pass them out via SM.
    • Remove .ini file config and move to standard rF2 plugin config via CustomPluginVariables.json.
    Monitor:

• Minor fixes and changes to support SCR plugin hosting feature.

10/04/2017 - v2.2.1.0
    Plugin:
    • Expose rF2MultiRules buffer
    • Add rF2SessionTransitionCapture to rF2Extended. This allows tracking some state on session transition.
    • Add mSessionStarted, mTicksSessionStarted and mTicksSessionStarted to rF2Extended to help tracking session transitions.
    • Buffers are no longer cleared out on EndSession. This is neccessary to capture data in StartSession.
    Monitor:
    • Add Frozen Order rules detection.

9/01/2017 - v2.1.1.1

Plugin:

• Fix crash in physics update that happens when buffer can't be mapped.
    • Expose TrackRules01 as rF2Rules buffer.
    • Improve Win32 error tracing.
    • Minor reliability improvements.
    Monitor:

• Add rF2Rules tracking.
    • Force invariant culture on the app.

7/22/2017 - v2.0.0.0

Complete redesign/rework to better reflect rFactor 2 internals read model. Interpolation is removed, plugin is now essentially double buffered memcpy of rF2 internals.

3/22/2017 - v1.1.0.1
    Plugin:

• Replaced rF2State::mInRealTime with mInRealTimeFC and mInRealTimeSU values, to distiguish between InRealtime state reported via ScoringUpdate, and via Enter/ExitRealtime calls.
    • rF2State::mCurrentET is no longer updated between Scoring Updates, and matches value last reported by the game.
    Monitor:

• Extended monitor to dislay more information
    • Implemented correct "Best Split" time calculation logic.
    2/26/2017 - v1.0.0.1

Fixed synchronization of:

• rF2State::mElapsedTime
    • rF2State::mLapStartET
    • rF2State::mLapNumber

This eliminates the gap those values had between telemetry and scoring update

01/31/2017 - v1.0.0.0
    • Plugin: Added damage and invulnerability tracking
    • Monitor: Added phase and damage tracking and logging
    1/18/2017 v0.5.0.0 - Initial release

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    DA, ApexModding, CamiloNino and 3 others like this.
  2. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

I'm using the spotter that is actually available here in the forum. What is the difference for the crew chief?

3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

It is different spotter, try it out, it works on many games: R3E, pCars, rF1, AMS, AC and bunch of trucking sims :)

4. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Wasn't Gongo?Or Gonzo is someone else?
    Btw, I hope you are succesfull with your project, crew chief is fantastic!

@Marcel Offermans
    Dan Allongo, aka Gongo, is the man behind the integrated spotter in AMS, maybe he can help for an integrated spotter plugin for rF2 too? ;)
    It works great and will be good to have the same on rF2...

5. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Thanks Davex, my mistake, fixed description.

6. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

No prob mate, you are our hope for a rF2 crewchief port!!!
    Lol, jus to give you some pressure :p

7. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

won't help :p

8. Erick3331

Erick3331 Registered

Thank you, this is awesome plugin , really very helps the memory , yeahhhhhh ;)

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  9. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Eric, glad you like it - just remember I'll break it at V1. I am adding extra fields to make sense of rF2 damage (since it seems fairly limited atm :(). But after V1 I'll use expansion bytes, so will be good.

Erick3331 likes this.
  10. Erick3331

Erick3331 Registered

Iron, Thank you for the very useful info :)

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

wish I knew how to do this stuff, I tried to learn some C, Python and Java but I ended up wanting to punch my monitor instead of learning :D

12. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

we actually live in amazing time. In past, I had to read 300 page book to learn some subset of technology. Now, it is google and stackoverflow and github, it is much easier.

Erick3331 likes this.
  13. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

wait...there is already a working piece of code for this?

14. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

v1 released:
    01/31/2017 - v1.0.0.0
    • Plugin: Added damage and invulnerability tracking
    • Monitor: Added phase and damage tracking and logging

Erick3331 likes this.
  15. Erick3331

Erick3331 Registered

Ok mate thank you the update ;)

16. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Erick, are you building/experimenting with something based on this? :)

Erick3331 likes this.
  17. Erick3331

Erick3331 Registered

Yes now I test the plugin , and as you can see works well , perfect ;) is once again thank you very much :cool:

18. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Keep me posted on what you're doing, you can PM me if that's more comfortable. This will help me to not break you and others. Also, I am not rF2 Internals expert, and any ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Erick3331 likes this.
  19. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Works brilliantly for me. Have just ordered a mic to use voice recog.

20. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

Can I just suggest you please put at the very least the install location in the readme, please ? I'd hate for the thread/site change to happen again and loose valuable information.

Thanks, testing with the crew chief app now.