[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. gunnar333

gunnar333 Registered

Well, I just compared the mesh with google maps satellite image. And as you can see the GP circuit fits very good but the Nordschleife doesn't.
    I think this is because it was developed from the very old GPL track source which wasn't accurate.

My opinion: if you want to have an exact ("laser scanned like") Nordschleife track you have to build the whole thing back from the beginning.
    But I love the version which we already have here. When I drive it with rF2 I don't feel much difference to pCars, GTR Evo, and Shift version.

If you look at the picture it looks like the track section is very far from the original but I must say it doesn't feel like this, it feels very realistic. (Never driven it in real life though)
    So let's try to get the best out of what we have.

View attachment 10898

2. Nor

Nor Registered

In order to change the layout you'll need a team to finish in a finite time.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9001 mit Tapatalk 2

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

That can be fixed at some point. Let's let pleclair master the basics and issues he's grappling with first. I know he will want to learn how to do more fundamental track construction, too, but you can't start playing with that stuff unless/until you can put all the graphical pieces back together after the bulldozers are done.

4. Mini Schnauzer

Mini Schnauzer Registered

I think the track is great now, I do not care if there is a more or less large gap, whether it conforms to reality 100% or only 80% if you have the righteous meters or 3 meters shorter, looks and feels incredibly well, I do not mean that these things can not be solve but I think they are not the most important right now, as someone has suggested, before this would fix the old pits in order to make better careers than we do now if possible, do not know, attach it to the GT circuit Nurbur, after all that would worry me the unevenness of the ground.
    Thanks for this track preclair and Thosch for their HDR with todabia that looks better in night driving.

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Could it be that this layout has no real pitlane and start lights because it was attached to the GT track in different layout?
    Because if you add new pits and light to this version and connect GT, you would have 2 sets of start lights. I've never seen that before tbh and I can imagine it could cause issues.

6. Quartza

Quartza Registered

Pleclair are you still needing bug reports? I've just now taken the time to drive this version. The only major issues Ive seen besides a few off grass textures and mirror rendering is at Hohe Acht. The up hill left entry has very late rendering of the grass. Driving on the grass anywhere also produces a weird grinding noise.

Well never mind on that grinding noise, I've guess I've forgotten how rF2 sounds been doing a lot of AC testing. Went to another track and same there so I guess its normal.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  7. Mini Schnauzer

Mini Schnauzer Registered

This design has no actual pit lane auque old it actually is the same whether you connect the GT estecircuito no need actibar old boxes, but if you can not join the GT circuit would be good to change the old boxes.
    Ofcourse I did not mean to have two boxes, only gave two options.

8. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Normally, the Tourist layout doesn't loop. You exit the station, do a lap and come back to the starting area. I don't think there are races on this layout at all.

9. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

It truly is! Still having hard times believing this is the "same track" which few months ago was totally undrivable because of bumpiness and which was also ugly as hell. Now it's closer to (green) heaven to me. :) When drove it the first time I was 110% sure this wouldn't ever turn out to be anything usable and now... well I'm just so glad I was totally wrong!!! :)

10. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Good to see the difference between abandoned lazy untested conversions and this one is recognized :)

11. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I'm really impressed... I love the colours and the track looks amazing! Thank you :D though there are some graphic bugs here and there. Maybe I could upload a few shots.. And the background landscape looks good except a few spots where it looks very low-res or is missing.

12. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hello guys!

Sorry for the delay, I ran into some troubles with the track.

After my last time here, when I announced I had a little surprise for you guys, well here it is!

https://mega.co.nz/#!oUZzCZjT!C6amP2R8wt7_SrZL0aH3H0jrXmpDoDmZu2tnN8FNbxs

Version 0.97n!

So the surprise is, with the money I had saved for the monitor, I subscribed to gametextures.com, and got a dev account, so I can access their library at full resolution and also make requests.

I had written to them a while ago, and exchanged a few emails, and they were interested in helping out. When I told them I was ready to subscribe and sent them some textures I would like to have redone, they were excited to be working on this!

So I started replacing lots of textures with what is already available for me at the moment, I haven't received the requests yet, but I have seen previews, and damn! Things will look freaking awesome!

However, after replacing most of the ultra low resolution textures we run nearby with higher resolution one, the performance went down a notch or two. I tried to optimize things further, and got a few fps back but still... the main problem is with the terrain objects size... some are too big to properly optimize their lod, and need to be visible for soooo long, this could be much better if parts were smaller.

I didn't knew how LOD worked prior to merging the terrain and splitting it again in v0.97l... I know have a much better idea.

I assumed it took the edge of an object, and calculated this distance from you. But it looks like it calculates either from the center of the object, or the pivot point, I would have to do further testing to find out. But either way, this makes optimizing LODs a bit harder to figure.

This is why in v0.97l the lod were perfect for cockpit view, but weren't good for back mirror view. I assume that when you look rear view with the buttons, to have it full screen, it must calculate the lods as when you see normally. A simple guess.

So... I tried to merge the terrain again and split it otherwise, but I made too many mistakes in the early days, and my max file is starting to crash more often... specially when trying to weld stuff, etc... not looking good.

I sort of knew this would happen, but fear not!

I spent the last two days importing the terrain objects, this time splitted into mats, so I got no duplicate mats in my layers. This was bugging me previously. Cause I had quite a few, and even tho I tried to spot them all, and instance them... it made exporting a pain. When I changed a mat that happened to be in some other multimaterial, I also needed to export those as well, otherwise, the first mat defined in the scn file wins, so if the one I changed happened to be below one that wasn't.. I wouldn't see the changes.. so I started to play with the order in the scn file too.

Since I'm starting from scratch again, I thought I'd make a few people happy by starting with the 24h layout instead of tourist. This will make the tourist and vln layout much easier to do once the 24h will be proper.

All my work on textures isn't lost anyway, I'll just have to make a few more for the gp part of the circuit.

I have started fixing the mesh already, cleaned most overlapping faces... there was something like 6000 something, and there is now barely 500. Some are harder to remove then others... So this should help alot with the flickering and this has fixed a lot of errors there was in the original mapping, specially in flugplatz..

Now I'm quadrifying stuff.

Don't ask me for any release date right now, I have no idea... it will sure goes much faster than I did previously... I'm trying to get something out by christmas, so you can enjoy it during the holidays :)

By the way, if you didn't read between the lines, version v0.97n is quite more demanding than v0.97l. The lods are tightly optimized... if you look in rear view, you will see some popping out a bit as some parts gets toward the horizon line... left it this way to give you an idea of how things are optimized... it cannot be any more considering the objects sizes...

So if v0.97l was tight for you, don't even try v0.97n, you will probably be deceived... on the other hand, if you were running 70-90 fps on v0.97l, you should be good for v0.97n.

13. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Oh, I wanted to post this as well :)

[​IMG]

;)

14. Minibull

Minibull Member

Hue Hue...can't waiiiiiit :D

15. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

16. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Nice, I do enjoy your posts and updates, and watching the track progress.

17. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Dear ole Mega has not worked for me for two days. It always loads up a blank screen. I even have the Mega app installed in FireFox.

18. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Bummer, me too - blank Mega page in Firefox with that url, Pierre :-(

19. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Got same problem with a vette skinpack Mega link in the vehicles forum. Maybe I should try Chrome browser.

20. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Guys, if you have a blank page on Mega, you are most likely infected with malware.

I just found about this yesterday when I uploaded v0.97n. I tried to go back later to it, since I closed my browser (chrome), and I couldn't get on it. I thought they were having difficulties, so I waited a bit, but still the same.

This morning, I tried to access it, and it was still not loading. So I figured something was wrong, then I noticed a little icon in the address bar, that isn't there usually.

It said the page was trying to access an external suspicious script or something, and it was blocking the access.

Turns out I have gotten some sort of browser hijacker, and this was the culprit.

I had smart suggestor, and here the procedure to remove it... should work against most cases as well.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-smart-suggestor/

Hope it helps you...

EDIT: I wasn't familiar with Hitman Pro, it was my first time using it, and it is really good. Running it after malwarebytes revealed quite a couple extra culprits.