[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Tosch

Tosch Registered

2. gabriel666

gabriel666 Registered

Thank you very much pleclair and tosch, the truth is every update is more and more better, about Mega what would stuck, try download the link with jDownloader, in my case I use my pony but works perfect with, sorry my english guys

3. canastos

canastos Registered

Thanks, pleclair :D

byyyyyyye

4. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Well, anything that you create and end up in the track, I would like to have a look at the psd, so I can replicate this myself later in the track. I intended to do the same thing as well. When I'll have things more settled, I want to release, not only the .dds for my trees, and stuff I made, but the PSDs as well. So others, getting into this, or wanting to get in, but don't know how to, will have something to look and study.

As you said, there is a major difference between how the textures are in photoshop and how it end up in game. I noticed that non-hdr is actually pretty close to the texture themselves. The bump/spec maps effects are also much diminished, or maybe they are enhanced in the HDR, but either way, HDR makes the bump/spec map really stand out.

So getting the diffuse map AND spec map to work together in HDR and non-HDR is a real challenge when you never done this. I mean, it is hair pulling situation. A little later on, I also wanted to release in development screenshots, those who look not so good. You will be surprised how many tries I had to make to get to where we are now. If you notice the GRAB images numbering climbing every time I post a screenshot, you will know about how many tries there was :) I take about 2-5 screenshots when I try something and wanna see how it looks like in game. Then go back to photoshop, adjust and try again.

So, by providing guidelines like this, it should help those wanting to get in track conversion. The nicest feeling is when you first convert it and load it in a new game it wasnt made for. You have the feeling you are the very first to see this :) And when its your first, its a really nice feeling to play something that you are in part responsible for!

I love rF2, and ever since coleco vision, where you couldnt finish a game, and played for points, I never played a game for so long, and not getting tired. Even in the MMOs category, I never played one so long. Well done ISI. You have a gem in your hand!

Back on topic, I tried your cameras, and thank you very much for this. It will bring replays to another level. The darn clip planes! I didnt knew camera had some too. When I changed the clip planes when I started, I tried to get the scenery to never clip, but found out in replay, it clipped. I tried all kinds of thing to make it not clip, but I didnt knew it was related to the cameras themselves! I thought that someone would shed some light on this in due time, which you did!

I also feared you moved the cameras completely out of the trees and vegetation's way... I made those textures higher resolution exactly for this purpose, so that in replay and screenshot, you dont have to move the camera out of the vegetation's way to take a screen. ie: the first S curve at limerock park, that darn grass is annoying when you watch the replay :) In fact, it can make interesting screenshot with a tree or grass in foreground.

I will try to keep the world geometry as low as possible. I believe the reason why those larger textures still works with a track this huge, is because the track is really much lower in polygons than today's track.

Instead of smoothing out the hills much and stuff, I thought that adding more trees, bushes, and billboard grass all the side hills, would make up for the lack of geometry, and would hide all those details. While making a much more dense scenery, like the track really is.

I will try to smooth things I cannot hdie only.

On the grass screen you showed me, have you done anything to it beside that vivid layer to bring it to look like in game? Cause I dunno if its because its at 25% and compressed for web, but it looks a bit different. I'm curious! :)

Anyway, thank you very much for everything Tosch! Can't wait to see your next screenshots :)

5. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

Install same place as HDR file Tosch?

Thanks

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks for the comment and for the tip to download :)

7. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Actually, you need to repackage it, updating the Ring Tourist.mas file it is in. You will find the tool to do so in Support/Tools of your rF2 installation. Or wait for the next update, it will be added in :)

8. Mr.Thor

Mr.Thor Registered

hi pleclair,
    nice to see a new and wonderful update!! :)
    i really like the track and it is the first time i drive it in any simulation....
    if you ever come to Germany to visit the track, just tell, you will get next beers :) i think you will get very drunk in europe for free!!! :cool:

9. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

Ah. Thanks pleclair.

10. pleclair

pleclair Registered

On a side note, I could be buying myself this monitor on ebay:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hanns-G-HL27..._Monitors&hash=item4acb7f5745&_uhb=1#viTabs_0

What do you guys think of it? Actually, anything would be better than what I have... but I'm wondering if anyone knows this brand, I never heard of it. But at the price, even if it breaks in 2 years, it would be a steal, right?

EDIT: The auction ends in 1d, and with a buyout price this low, I'm very tempted in clicking on it. Any quick thoughts would be highly appreciated :)

11. Nils

Nils Registered

I say, wait and check your PM´s here.....

12. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Nice to see you back.

Is it possibly to have a starting grid with lights? Also is the 24hr version of nordschleife doable? That be the icing on the cake!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  13. MJP

MJP Registered

Wow how bad is your current monitor that you want to buy a defective monitor instead?

14. tking

tking Registered

(97j) Very nice, pleclair! Great job!!!

15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Happy you mentioned it, cause I have lost an auction or two already and at that price, I had the feeling it was going to be buyout instead of going till auction's end.

16. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hmmm, that's me.... I just saw this:

“Customer returnes. The outer box has been opened. We try our best to test all the functions of the item, but there might be some other unidentified matters that we have overlooked. Item offers "AS-IS" Condition. Please refer to the pictures for item details We take pictures on the exact item you will get .”

The price, and looked at the picture, and thought, well the image isnt great on the picture, but with such a bright screen, maybe it doesnt get pictured well, I dunno.

I'm a bit naive, impulsive, and quick to react sometimes :)

I would have been really pissed to have bought this!

But to answer your question, my current one is bad: Proview 19in fv-926w... you can check it out here: http://fr.apacelli.com/monitors-proview/proview-fv-926w/

I bought this some 10 years or so ago. Its a 2nd generation LCD, really bad viewing angle, and what not. But the one I replaced it with broke (2 times, 1 time on warranty, and samsung sent me a broken unit. the brightness was stuck to max... was a pretty bright screen too.. anyway, so this one broke a few months before I started work on nord)

Glad I kept that monitor, I just cannot trash any hardware... it can always be useful :p

17. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Good to see you back from the missing, was afraid you got chased off or something, thanks for the new update! Should have known you were hard at work!

Mega gave it to me in 24 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  18. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Happy you didn't buy that ebay monitor, picture of screen looks likes someone hit it with a hammer :D.

Have you tried opening up your broke monitor? Could be lucky if it's just a bad capacitor. I can say I fixed my monitor soldiering in a new Cap, and all good as new again. Think MJP up there did same with his broke one too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Pqx6LMT2w

Thanks again for new version of Nords.

19. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

u so techie :p
    I have an old monitor that is loose in the power connector... I thought "this will be easy to fix hehehe"... but I couldn't find a way to open it so I threw it into the basement, lol.

And thanks for new update, pleclair!

20. Gupster

Gupster Registered

As I started to test the immersion level went so far I ran out of gas! Thank you Sir!