[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

You been doing a bit of tree hugging Jim? :D Out and about in the trees? :D

Looking good pleclair. Love your progress reports very detailed. Liking the new trees, one on the left in last picture looks very good. I do agree with Jim on some of them. I feel the pine tree looks more like it's been photographed from a winter seen and not summer, colour seems to mismatch with other trees. Jim can say what they should look like ;). Just us picking :D.
    Keep up your good work.

2. Gupster

Gupster Registered

http://rsrf.de/rf2_downloads/rf2_tracks/Ring_Tourist_0.96.rfcmp

http://www.drivingitalia.net/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=5541

http://www.internationalsimracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=2618.0

I think Jim is looking at the screeny where you mention the treeline, The spruces needles are large (aqua green ones) for that kind of evergreen. I doubt they have Ponderosa pines in the Effiel ehee!

Thank you again for your work!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2013
  3. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

In particular the last pic you posted above look at the evergreen in distance just to the right of the car.
    It is behind the deciduous tree just to the left. The needles of those limbs are many times the sized of the leaves on the trees that are closer.
    You reckon that evergreen is about 30 to 40 yards behind the car? Compare the size of the car to the needles on the evergreen.
    The graphic you have for the evergreen is "put" together by someone. That tree by itself is out of proportion, looking at the needles in relation to the trunk.

I know it may sound like I'm maybe harping about this, but you do yourself a severe injustice after all the time you have invested in this "soon to be masterpiece".

edit*
    The post right below this one--the collection of pics--the picture under pakochan.magic.net has typical evergreens (or conifers)for that region.
    The globe shaped tree on the left is deciduous and all those to the right are some type of evergreen. Notice the needles on those trees? Hard to distinguish. they are about the same size as the regular tree leaves(deciduous)on the left side.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2013
  4. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

You have already proven all the early naysayers wrong who thought you were only going to do a quick conversion and not fix the underlying problems. You have done a marvelous job as an individual--the work of a whole team. And your openness to allowing others to help later when you have exhausted your talent and energy is the icing on the cake. Your name will be remembered for many years by all using rF2!! :)

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Should be in bed since a while ago already, but playing with Crazy Bumps is such fun!

I made normal and spec maps for all trees, and what an improvement! (only updated about half of them in Max, will do the other half tomorrow :))

Here are a few nice screenshots of yesterday and today.

View attachment 9951

View attachment 9952 (new rumble texture here, 512x512 instead of 128x128 :p)

View attachment 9953

View attachment 9954

those pics where taken at around 6:30-7:00pm...

this one is taken at 11ham (showing new bridge texture closer)

View attachment 9955

View attachment 9956

The bumps are a little too much on the bridge, will tone it down just a tad...

Hope you enjoy! Dont forget to keep your focus out of the grass ;)

7. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

Please release it!! ;-) 0.97!!! *g*

Download Link here, please.

8. Rtsbasic

Rtsbasic Registered

Looking better by the minute - thanks for keeping us updated with your progress! Can't wait to give the next version a few laps.

9. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

@peclair

Check Feels3's Putnam and Croft threads. He has givern permission to use his textures

10. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

yeah 128x128 textures are a definite "need to upgrade" step.

11. sg333

sg333 Registered

I think a 3D guardrail might have more of a visual impact before doing grass.

12. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Agreed. We need to inflate several parts of this track so it doesn't look like a cardboard popup book.

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yes, it looks like a small texture magnified (which I'm sure it is)...doesn't work for that surface at all.

14. Tony

Tony Registered

Yes I agree, the non-3d guardrail is noticeable as it's so close to the track on both sides. I guess it was flat in Com8's original in rF1, but I never noticed it then. Shows how much we've upped the ante with rF2 & having better pc's

Still amazing what you've learnt along the way pleclair - great job & still growing :)

15. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

16. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Planned :) Already gave it a shot and did one to test.

Was able to model the 3d fences easily, however, I need to figure how to map it properly, easily and efficiently, since there are many... :)

No worry, all in due time :)

17. evphelps

evphelps Registered

Great work pleclair,thank you for your efforts.
    The progress reports are a fascinating journal of a track makers progress.
    Much appreciated!

18. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Juicies of the day ;)

View attachment 9959

View attachment 9960

View attachment 9961

View attachment 9962

View attachment 9963

View attachment 9964

And now, to please the lot of you who were horrified with the neon green grass, (well, I'm included :p), I did some work on the default grass textures, and think I got something looking pretty good :)

It's gonna be sufficient until I change it completely at least.

Might desaturate it by 5 or so.

Done most of the grass, with bump and spec maps, and it looks pretty darn amazing :)

View attachment 9965

View attachment 9966

View attachment 9967

The past couple days, I've been working on the geometry during the day, and doing some texturing at night, to break up a little, and improve in this field, since I will be doing quite a bit later on.

EDIT: BTW, the first couple screens are in HDR, hard to think otherwise, but the last three are without.

Just wanted to show you that working on the texture to get them more HDR compliant dont necessarily make non HDR look bad :p Much the opposite :p

I'll try to have all the default textures (and those I replace) to work with the default HDR profile. Might not be the best looking profile for the track, as it is never the case, but at least it wont be damaging for the eyes :)

This way, Tosch will have an easier time of bringing everything to perfection!

19. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Also done some testing with the Alpha Test shader, and the trees now look better.

The alpha chroma blending, without it, wasn't showing the trees perfectly, it also included a bit of the background chroma color. Was hard to notice without seeing the difference, but there is one :)

Now the tree are cut at per the alpha channel, or so it seems.

You won't really have the chance to notice the difference, but I'm only saying so other people starting at making track are aware of it.

Might not work in all case, I dunno, but did wonder for me!

20. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

Okay, please load it up, then we can test it :-D