Reflections on state of rFactor2 at 18 months

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stonec, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Takumi

Takumi Registered

First post at the thread was solid and well written. Many good points there and I'm pretty sure that most of us agree them. One thing raises over others from my point of view. Graphics(surprise?). I am not that worried about the way RF2 looks at present state, but the performance is clearly a problem for many of us. Sim racing game really needs steady and smooth fps to be enjoyable. That is most important thing, not the way it looks. Optimization is the key word here. There is so much good in this product that it would be great shame if performance issues will ruin that great experience. I still thrust on ISI!

2. Minibull

Minibull Member

I swear, whenever I hear "optimisation", I always think and recall from other games basically the process of chopping bits out that they think noone will see. You know, going the wrong way in an on rails FPS game, where you see how undetailed and basic the things you aren't meant to look at are. Or textures that are just flat colours to save as much resources as possible. If there were essentially free gains for performance that people seem to go on about like there is almost a checkbox they forgot to tick, why were they not in the product in the first place?

In saying that, I do remember something in Skyrim, where someone had recompiled parts of the game and had actually checked a text box in the compiler, something to do with optimisation flags or something. And yeah, it did give quite a boost ingame with no downsides XD
    ...and it then that fix appeared in the next official patch from the development team XD

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

What strikes me is that I just fired up rF2 and looked at the online servers. 11 drivers online right now. It's a Sunday night, that's worrisome.

4. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

That's pretty bad....and also typical. :-(

5. Duc

Duc Registered

le plus gros problème à ce jour pour nous reste les effets de collisions entre les voitures (encore un peu excessive au niveau des contacts) ex Clio sur lequel nous avons un championnat en cours à la FFSCA (www.ffsca.org), la chauffe excessive des pneus, quelques bug graphique comme des voitures qui apparaisse une fraction de seconde, mais cela ne nous empêche pas de continuer puisque ISI travaille pour amélioré depuis le début, nous avons bien vu la différence du travail fourni et des améliorations parfois bonne ou mauvaise et nous devons faire avec en attendant des améliorations. l'avantage de cette Beta c'est que nous pouvons nous joueurs faire remonté les infos qui ne vont pas pour quelle puisse être amélioré et qu'un jour nous ayons un jeu final de grande qualité. les mauvaises critiques ont besoin d'être dite mais avec calme et ce qui est bon aussi afin d'encouragé ISI et ne pas dire que c'est tout le temps négatif pour leur cassé le moral.
    c'est quand même un avantage pour nous sim-racers de pouvoir demandé et espéré avoir le jeu ultime plutôt que d'acheter un jeu concurrent ou il manquera plein de choses que nous n'aurons jamais.
    j'encourage ISI à continuer et à resté positif, merci pour le travail déjà accompli.

6. coops

coops Banned

can some1 pls translate the above.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Maybe give each "standard" user a online clock, more hours you log in rooms the more they get off Life purchase.

They would owe me.......

lopl

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

and right now there is well over 100 on mostly in open rooms and it is Tuesday here.

Go figure. :)

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

but when you posted that its 2:10am for the UK and 3:10am for Europe....not gonna be a lot of people on from this region at that time is there!!

10. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

OT:
    I don't have rF1 but its interesting to see how many drivers are online. Is somewhere in the www a status site to shows all online drivers in rF1 ?

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Yeah, good point. I'd think there would be a bunch of N and S Americans on though. For an entire hemisphere that's a small turn out.

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

120 on atm :)

Pity they all drivin' "cupcakes" and "meringues"

jk jk

hehe

13. Jos

Jos Registered

rf2 - the real Megane simulator.

14. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

LOL. Yeah, rF2 = RENAULT Factor 2. :)

15. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I know that with other devs the USA alone can be over 50% of their worldwide sales. For us it is not by a long way. I'm starting to get emails from a lot of leagues that want to be featured on the site, seldom seeing USA as a base right now.

It's not like this wasn't an unknown, either. I hosted this forum in the UK in 2010 for a reason. USA is a NASCAR country, that really can't be overlooked, Indy will make a difference, I'm sure, but the big money and turnouts are for NASCAR content, something that isn't top of the list for us, so our product will appeal more to the Euros for a while.

17. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Yeah, seems like a LOT of the rFactor1 communities in the US ran stock cars of some sort- rF2 should be no different. I think iRacing will be the top dog on these shores for a long time to come. The NASCAR crowd don't mind that iRacing has no rain and that explains why Americans have a tendency to scatter when on a server and rain drops begin to fall :p

18. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

Am in USA ... NASCAR = bleh! To be honest, racing as a sport in total isn't very popular here in the states ... Of the people I know, none of them like racing period - not even NASCAR. They all like Football, Baseball and Basketball, however... ugg.

I prefer road racing ... Formula 1 for open wheels and Grand-Am - Rolex Series for tin tops ... I don't like any non-motorized sports except a passing interest in NHL :)

19. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

That should not come as a surprise because NASCAR does not race in the rain. Except for Nationwide series in road courses.

20. Blue fellow

Blue fellow Registered

Some of my friends would not believe me that Formula 1 was not oval racing :eek: (They thought it was the same thing as Indy)