rain developement question ;)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trollray, Apr 3, 2013.

1. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi Tim and all the others that can tell me.

I'm not complaining about the rain effect for now and i really imagine how much potential it has already. Really impressive !

But, what i don't understand, is that when i see this very old video of rain experiment,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzWNZcCIYks
    it look far more finished than the last one in the new build.

You are talking about the first pass?
    what's a "first pass" in terms of programming?
    What's the reason of so much time and the sensation of getting back 1 year and more?
    My question can sound stupid but, i'm no prgrammer and maybe, alot of other guys here would be intersted of the method of development that is in use for a simulation like RF2.
    Maybe also, that can help some guys to not complain all the way but stay focused on the potential and futur possibilities that you would offer (and alraedy does ).
    I'm just curious of that and really support this fantastic project. (lifetime membership purchased ;) )

PS : Ok, some will continue to complain after that, but, don't blame them you know, some of them are hitted and beated by their wife all day long lollll (that's probably the reason why they wear a helm ) ;)

Thanks for all
    that would help me (and probably others) how the process work and why we can see some very old renders, better than new ones.

Keep the good work ;))

Sorry for my bad english and if it sounds a little stupid ;)

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Actually, water spray looks exactly the same.
    The only difference is additional water drops effect on screen.

3. Minibull

Minibull Member

rF2's mod system has been fine for me, can't think of any times where I've been pulling my hair out. If I'm tryna join a server and don't have a certain version of track, it tells me what I need to run in that server. I go and get it. It all seems to work smoothly, and I can easily get rid of content without having to track down tons of random files.
    In singleplayer, I just go "All cars and tracks" and can easily set what I want to run with, in what class, on which track.

I bet for each person who is having troubles now, there were 2 people having issue with the old way. How many times did we see people asking where to put mod files, especially when noone bothered to pack readme's in with their content. Then getting to the point where they have slightly mucked up their gamedata folders and lost content from other mods, and have to reinstall...

The Simbin titles sure got messy for me though, super packed GameData folder, junk from old mods everywhere, mods putting things in different directories (no consistency) and only a couple of them actually coming with a proper uninstaller.
    And then trying to figure out how to get cars in different classes. I remember a big turbo 350z I downloaded, and it was put in with all the GT cars in GTR2. Not good, as it would piss on everything.

4. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

The current spray is just re-enabled and a tiny bit "tweaked". The next updates will improve it further more (propably), expect step by step improvements here. Those example movies were pre-alpha-test-stages with experimental stuff which could be implemented anytime or will go into the trash. Developing new features always means experimenting with stuff, checking it for performance and compatibility, checking the visual quality and then decide to implement or delete it. Thats just work in progress stuff. This movie was one of several testing movies. They spray was making it the latest patch just right before it was released, so not much work has been done on weather and spray yet. Be happy to have spray back in the game, visual tire wear also should be fixed, except further improvements in every area with every patch. rF2 improves a tiny bit every day, day by day.

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

You re right, the current packaging might be a big step for most people, but its moving into the right direction.
    Some tweaks to the modmanager here and there, improved download-handling and public racing becomes very easy and reasonable.

6. tjc

tjc Registered

Good post. :)

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

it has for a noob like me, ty ISI.

8. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi, thanks for the reply. ;)

That's what i suspected but, it's better to know how it work inside before complaining about something.. Specially when it as at beta stage.

Now, about the rain drops, if it was not great enough when experiemental, we can really expect a fantastic stuff on final release. They where great already ;)

If i understand well it's 3step farther, 2 step back all the time during development phase ?
    Keep the good work ISI !
    And thanks