Questions for ISI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F1lover, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fredrik Arbegard

Fredrik Arbegard Registered

2. commodore

commodore Registered

What area of a sim consumes the most CPU cycles? I guess physics would be the logical answer considering that the GPU does all the graphics work?

3. lightspeed

lightspeed Registered

Why good luck with rF2? You will just steal it anyways, I can't believe people can just go ahead and say I'm going to steal your work and product, please make it easier to do so. WTF!!! Very strange, new or not!

4. fobban

fobban Registered

I really hope they make some kind of account, which you link to a valid serial number which makes it possible to play online.

That way only legit users can play online and we can get rid of the utterly retarded Trymedia activation crap (which is similar to SecuROM in some ways).

When legit users initially have a crappier experience than the pirates, then you know the copy protection scheme has failed.

For a game being like 5 years old i must say that rFactor still kicks ass!

5. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Too True. I even changed out the exe of my own purchased copy to remove the bullsh|t protection. Now I can just copy-Paste a fresh install to shuffle mods. Once I give my money to someone its my right personal preference to mess with it anyway I like.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2010
  6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

No you can't.
    You are buying rights to use program under licence conditions. Not to to anything you want.

BTW: I have legal copy, with original protection and it is not a problem for me using it as is including copy-paste fresh install referring to your statement.

7. lespaul20

lespaul20 Registered

As MaXym said, not according the EULA you agreed to when you installed it. http://www.rfactor.net/about/legal.cfm I don't know of any closed source software that transfers ownership of the code the the licensee.

8. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

While I respect the fact that group of lawyers most likely toiled for hours on that EULA the harsh reality of "I don't give a ____ about any of that bollocks" must be taken into account. Just ask any of my friends, coworkers, compatriots, people on the street, people on the chans or people in general. They are going to do whatever feels good/right/easy to them most of the time and that has to be accounted for.

Believe it or not the Napster supreme court case while I was in college was literally my generations Vietnam war. Protests and Singing songs to our congressmen. Sort of skewed my perception of the "good" things concerning copyright and the like.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2010
  9. stillious

stillious Registered

So is the A.I. getting an overhaul for rF2? It needs one, that's for sure. IIRC one of the ISI crew said something to the effect that most people play online, so giving time to A.I. improvements was a waste of resource. Again, IIRC, many messages were added after that comment to say that there were indeed many users that solely play offline with A.I. opponents.

So then, will I and many others be disappointed with the same low I.Q. A.I. behaviour as rF1 or are you going to make our year with some good news?

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yes I remember that being said, believe it was on the original rFactor2 Facebook page (before the newer recent one)

11. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Will it be possible to determine what tyre compound drivers have been using via the results file and/or via the plugin interface?

12. Pashalis Gergis

Pashalis Gergis Registered

I would say yes to some keyboarders :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmfMTWWteUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KssEsTrsnPM

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

With the success of rFactor does the ISI team feel any extra pressure to deliver an even better product with RFactor 2? and also what area of the game, if any, has given you the most headaches to get it better than in rF1?

14. David Wright

David Wright Registered

The GPU doesn't do all the graphics work, the CPU is still very much involved and graphics almost certainly consumes the most CPU cycles.

15. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

Lol, watching that made me realise there could be some technical advantages to using a keyboard after all. I think if somebody had enough time one could configure precise and optimum steering angles for each track in it's own keyboard profile, great for qualifying, but hugely bad for any race. If somebody nudges him (say me :eek:) he can't possibly recover from that computer perfect driving style if any sudden oversteer were to happen.

16. Gleidson

Gleidson Registered

Hello everybody, I do not know if already said but I wonder what is being done for the races on ovals and one of the claims of an rFactor is that it's hard to adapt the rules of racing on ovals on it, physics is bad and mods are unreal.

Excuse my English "google"

:)

17. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

I think this is not right.

The GPU is there for Rendering the Polygons and Textures + Post Processing like Ambient Occlusion or whatever and for the Shaders of course.

The CPU tells the GPU what to do and this cant be so much. (Only if the Engine is Designed very poor with Rendering all from CPU)

18. mantazzo

mantazzo Registered

OK...
    Hello again all... I am very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very sorry for that stupid question. Forgive me :).

Anyway, here is the new question - Will rFactor 2 have a ranking system (like in TrackMania Forever series)? That would be quite interesting :)
    I thought about login system in rFactor 2, but I decided to not write it.

Sorry for mistakes, I'm Lithuanian :)

P.S. Why I asked that (about multiplayer for everyone)? Because here (in Lithuania) new games are quite expensive and I can't afford it, so I usually download them (I know, I know, piracy...). That's why I asked that.

P.S.S. Don't ban me for that :)

Regards, mantazzo

I'm really sorry for that question, please forgive me. :)

19. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Tooooooo many replys to check them all sooooooooooooooooooo...........

As we find with rF1 there is a confusion with in game steering degrees(steering lock) and actual wheel rotation (which is governed by the wheels own software).
    i.e.
    G25,G27 and Fanatec wheels have the possibility to do 900 degrees.
    Therefore car handling is different with in game steering lock,depending on your wheels set degrees.

Will rF2 have an easier way of setting up correct steering?

20. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Is there anything more simple than just set proper steering lock by yourself? Ultimatelly, you set that to your prefference (and what particular mod requires. There are some that require ridiculusly high steering lock, way too high than you would have in real life). Still, if you want to keep real world steering ratio, you just do a simple math: <total_steering_wheel_lock> divided by <steering_ratio> and then divided by 2 (because steering lock in rF is per side). Let's say, you drive a Carrera GT which have steering ratio 15.7:1 and you set your wheel to 900deg. How much steering lock in rFactor do you need?
    (900 / 15.7) /2 = ~28.7. If the mod offer only steering lock changes by 0.5 deg then you choose 28.5 or 29.0. Simple as that (as long as tyre model in that mod is OK ;-) ).

I have some questions.
    Are you stick with engine heating model from rF 1 or there will be some changes to that?
    The same about implementing drivetrain losses. Still, only spindle bearing friction and so called "clutch friction"?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.