Question about Dragracing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trackah123, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Trackah123

Trackah123 Registered

Hi Guys.

I just read about the new beta rFactor, didn't even knew.

I was wondering, since i love dragracing, will there be some sort of 1/4 mile draglane so you can tweak setting and compete against others dragracers online with all kinds of cars available in the game?

2. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

if you build it they will come...

3. Trackah123

Trackah123 Registered

Lol, you mean with a 3d-editor and everything?

I mean is there a draglane in Rfactor2 by default? just wondering :)

4. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

5. Trackah123

Trackah123 Registered

Ahh ok thanks, i hope 1 day there will be a dragmod for it then :)

6. coops

coops Banned

there is dragfactor on rf1 hope the boys who did this will move there work over to rf2.

7. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Filthy drag racing GET OUT !

I'm sure a mod will come out that does it eventually, It might be worth speaking to some track makers if they can make a drag strip track even if its simple , just doing some funky things with the start finish line might allow for you to set up drag races with your friends .

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I don't know if suspension settings are really allowing proper drag racing setups currently, maybe in future.

This is how rear suspension is laid out typically, note those holes in frame at end of those four green bars, suspension is adjusted by changing mounting points of those green bars, called links and thus this is 4 link setup. Rear axle is on those big holes at those white mounting parts.
    http://www.swracecars.com/store/images/cart/10515.JPG

Some setups allows length adjustments of those links.

So to get it work right you would have to edit .pm file and still even not adjustable one is not working quite perfectly at the moment, not even if one would put sideways support bar, even with rF1 there seem to be some oddities that at least I have not been able to figure out how to come by.

You can probably get away with triangulated 4-link, but it is not used on very high level of drag racing, imo.

However, Tim did say at one post that they would like to eventually support every suspension setup, but again timeframe for that is unknown.

That 4 forward link setup is however very common in our rally cars here too, almost any performance car uses it that has live axle, but so far I have not been able to make such so that it really would work, with rF1 it just binds left and right rear wheels together, with rF2 axle just fails, maybe someone has been able to do it and can share how?

Then there is of course starting lights issue, but timing should not be so much issue in future as afaik there will be point to point tracks by ISI, but only uncertain is certain with rumours.

I did post to wish list about oldschool automatic gearbox, powerglide for example is still popular in drag racing, so to make cars drive right such would be needed to simulate.

So it is uncertain to which extent drag racing will be supported, but I think it is quite popular and makes quite nice online racing too when properly done, so I would think that there is interest to develop that too, but maybe it comes bit later.

NHRA stamp on box would certainly look nice, there has been nhra drag racing sims before, maybe could be first proper sim of that scene, wink, wink ;)

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

#1 on my wishlist is for rf2 to have proper support for point-to-point timing for rally and drag racing. It was mentioned in early articles about rf2 and I hope it comes to pass. It will set rf2 apart from the rest of the sims coming out.

10. Joshua Healy

Joshua Healy Registered

Well Simbin managed to get point to point working on the Gmotor engine for Race 07 with the Retro pack... So ISI knows how to support it... hopefully it will actually be implemented with documentation for rF2 :)

11. ethone

ethone Registered

Heartland Park Topeka has a drag strip and I'll bring that over in the coming weeks. If the timing features allow for some form of drag racing some time soon I'll take a look at enabling it on the track.
    Sears Point has one too, maybe mianiak will enable that one too then if it's feasible.

12. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I think our modding group will come up with public road drag strip together with our mod. But I think we wait until it is clear how rF2 deals with point2point timing.

13. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

It's already been confirmed a few times rF2 will have point to point rally stages.

14. freew67

freew67 Registered

15. jtbo

jtbo Registered

For practice/single player mode working tree might be nice too, maybe ISI at some point might make code to allow it to work right online too, as I remember there being problem with rF1 that lights were not synced and that is why makers of mods did not include lights to practice / single player mode either, but this is just from my memory which is not all too great.

I guess freew67 knows all about those issues that there is to know, thx from the track :)

16. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Both drag racing and rally will require special rules and different types of game sessions. I hope it's thought out and done right. A drag race with qualifying heats and the different scoring has to be organized a lot differently than a regular road race. I'd love to see rallies with timed specials, SSS and non-timed liaison stages with check in times. And I'll **** in one hand and make that wish in the other see which fills up faster.

17. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

There was an EA game out about ten years ago, Motor City Online, there was no 'off-line' anything with it.

It was about half point to point racing, including drag racing. The other half being circuits.

So... remembering what I remember hearing then... "I had lag!!!"

Is there/ can there be any way to truly sync the two or more computers so that you're sure about the lights? Or do you assume the same amount of lag would exist at the end of the race/check point?

And would there be eliminations in drag racing? Or would it be servers being limited to, two at a time and the loser gets booted after he/she loses, so the next victim can enter the compitition maybe giving the winner control of that server?

Bracket racing or just 'run what ya brung'?

I'd like to see a scenario where like twenty guys/gals enter a server and do the elimination thing. And just give the winner choice of lanes for the next run.

18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I think that clients could do the timing and send those timings to server, that way even if there would be minor differences with lights, results would be true, also 'clock' syncing and countdown should, imo, be possible. For example if time synchronization is done before each run or even when entering to server and then client clock is used both would launch at same time to enough good accuracy.

I would go with precise ntp method (not windows default), but I think there might be few hurdles to cross.

But there might be even better solutions to that. Of course it is same for any race start, 0.5 second difference in F1 race start can mean positions at next corner. So precise method should benefit all forms of racing.

19. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned