Pikes Peak

Discussion in 'Locations' started by myself9, Jun 3, 2014.

1. myself9

myself9 Registered

The real course doesn't have near as much of a crown as this virtual version. I've noticed that this causes a lot of problems with some of the tighter handling cars. Feels great with the Historic stuff, tho!

I'm doing this conversion so I can start learning how to build tracks, so I've not gotten into the modeling side of the process yet. At some point I WOULD like to reduce the crown in the road. (maybe I should have started with something shorter?) :)

As far as the draw distance issue, I've DEFINITELY noticed that and it drives me nuts! I haven't yet figured out where to make adjustments to get rid of it.

edit: I just figured out how to increase the draw distance. Nice ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Great! You'll learn.

You can hopefully just work on small sections of the track to try different widths, camber, crown, etc. Right now, it seems to be just one consistent geometry from beginning to end. I am sure the real track is wider in most places, has less crown and inconsistent camber since it was never designed to be a high-grade highway. It was a trail that grew into a gravel mountain road that grew into the hill climb race that eventually got paved.

3. myself9

myself9 Registered

I believe the road in the model is broken up into only 3 segments, so it won't be too much of a tedious process to fix it. The biggest obstacles at this point is fear and knowledge. I don't want to break it :)

IRL the newly paved sections are very high grade. They did a fantastic job of paving the road. I can't say I'm HAPPY about it, but the road is as smooth as butter.
    Some of the older paved sections are starting to show their age, and I'm hoping to be able to find a way to reflect that.

4. myself9

myself9 Registered

Rushed home from work and maxed out the LOD.
    That stopped all of the pop in crap in the distance, but caused a RIDICULOUS hit to the frame rate in Glen Cove.
    Turns out there were an excessive number of trees in that area, so I deleted about half of them. It doesn't look as heavily forested as the first build, but the course now runs without any slowdown.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Unfortunately, fixing the road properly will require breaking it into a more appropriate number of sections. But you can experiment--just keep multiple generation backups in case you have to go back!! There are others far more knowledgeable than me on here who can help you with some technical issues if you ask. Very few people can do a track completely by themselves, so don't feel badly.

6. myself9

myself9 Registered

Fixing the road probably isn't going to happen on the first "final" build. I'm going to take a stab at getting the RealRoad implemented and call it done for now.
    Then move on and build a course from scratch, and revisit Pikes Peak once I have a better understanding of manipulating 3d models.

7. myself9

myself9 Registered

Version 0.85 is up.

That's it for a while. Need to learn some things before any updates are released. ;)

8. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

FYI, server is asking for 0.79

9. myself9

myself9 Registered

Oh, yeah. Fixed!

10. mtbboy

mtbboy Registered

bug report:

info:
    ccc driver version 12.8(when it happend)
    [​IMG]

11. myself9

myself9 Registered

OUCH!
    That should have completely destroyed your vehicle. I've hit it a few times and it's resulted in a ball of flames.
    I'm getting ready to start tinkering with the course again, I'll look into that collision issue

12. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I once let the AI drive my car and it's drove head first into this building :D. Is this building like a checkpoint or something?

13. myself9

myself9 Registered

They make tourists who are driving back down the mountain stop there so the rangers can make sure that the tourist's brakes aren't overheating. For real ;)

IRL, there's a LOT more room to get through there. Another item on the list of fixes.

14. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Hi, Right after the cabins in the midle of the track, a couple of curves later, at a lefthander I get a cutting track warning "lap will not count".

15. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Hi David, I was thinking about using this track for a fun event, similar to the one we did using Targa Florio

16. myself9

myself9 Registered

Wow, I'll check on that too. Haven't seen that happen yet.

17. mtbboy

mtbboy Registered

thhe car gets stuck there

18. Acoutsa

Acoutsa Registered

Thank you! For this lovely tour! Good luck and hope soon to see the evolution of this magnificent sprint!

19. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

1988 Pikes Peak's Climb Ari Vatanen (Milkman) Onboard in the 405 T16 Peugeot, this is no game, no RS button , I believe that it is god who is reading hes notes.

Published on Jul 13, 2013

In 1987 the Pikes Peak Race to the Clouds challenge was run on a narrow gravel road with no guard rails and of course, no run off area. The Pikes Peak Hillclimb is regarded as one of the most formidable events in motorsport.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014
  20. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Would be cool. :)