One problem in rFactor 2 that is really causing me trouble!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FFOman, Apr 27, 2015.

1. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

iRacing penalizes you if aids are used, rFactor2 don`t actually you gain lot of time if you are using aids.

2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Depends on the Aid, some Aids let you loose Time, too ;-)

But I`m not an Expert in Aids, never used one.

//Edit: not true, i`m using auto clutch :)

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Can second that. My experience is too that (depending on car) you loose time most of the time if you use aids.

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

In 2006, when I first came in contact with sim racing, I would have given up very quickly if it wasn't for the available driving aids.
    I ran F1C and rF1 with a keyboard, and depended a lot on having ABS, TC, stability control, auto-clutch etc.

I ran like that for over a year (before taking a break from virtual racing until 2011 on the PS3, and then later proper sim racing on the PC in 2013) and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
    It allowed me to get a feel for what sim racing was all about. I got familiar with the way mods worked. I edited damage files to make it more realistic. I had great races against the AI. A complete blast.

Driving aids are so important to have, to allow newcomers and curious people to get a taste of sim racing.
    I think it's great that ISI haven't dropped it. There's no point in being elitist just for the sake of being elitist.
    It's all about bringing as many people into sim racing as possible and driving aids help do just that.
    You can't expect every curious Joe to buy a wheel and pedals straight away.

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Originally it was a question about the "spin recovery aid"... It is really funny, how serious people defending aids, like the spin recovery, where the same people doesn`t get tired to complain, if rF2 isn`t perfect "get real" in some points... :D

6. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

iRacing also has TC and ABS driving aids.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

Wrong, each mod has set weight penalties fraction for aid usage. Typical is something like fraction 0.01 for TC usage, which equals to 10 kg on a 1000 kg car. Other aids like auto shifting tend to have less penalty.

8. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Wrong or right but the fact is that if you take cars like Marussia MR01 or Renault 3,5 2010 to spin at Malaysia you are 3 secs faster with TC/ABS on.

9. Panigale

Panigale Banned

As said, if you look into the car mas and open up the hdv you'll see each penalty time associated with what aid is in use. In terms of your driving, your statement is probably fact for yourself and where you are at as a driver. If you provide lap times on what track it would help to see if it is just a skill issue or something very odd that shouldn't be happening.

Put the AI to 105% and see what the quickest AI lap time is with preset light rubber at Sepang. Then reset and go out yourself with the same settings, save for TC/ABS on. If you can lap 3 seconds quicker then I would agree something isn't right. If you are not even close then this isn't a sim issue, the aids are doing exactly what they should be doing for you.

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Just to get an idea, what we´re talking about, what is your PB with Aids?

11. stonec

stonec Registered

FSR league drives with Formula ISI physics. We allow ABS in lower racing categories but almost nobody uses it because it costs them laptime rather than gains. I would expect Marussia to be similar with aid penalty. 3 seconds gain if that's true must be from an amateur driver.

12. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

It is easy to find out who is amateur driver I make server tomorrow evening with no aids, you join and we find out. I post name to dedicated server here at 19.00 CET.

See you online stonec.

13. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Ive no idea about any auto reset feature, what is it in rF2? delete it

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I'd have to agree with that assessment on all counts.

I think OP is talking about spin recovery. It wasn't button pressed to activate after you spin, you were just turning the driver aid on and off. Leave it on, it does it, leave it off, it doesn't.

15. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

When u learn how to drive a car on its limits no aids ever will make you faster, for starters because u get weight penalty for using them (depending on the car) and also because its often faster to slightly destabilize the car in certain situations to get thru the corner the fastests, f.e. by having the break bias little bit too much in the rear so you can turn your car by using slight oversteer during trail braking, technique used by many F1 drivers such was Michael Schumacher. No aid ever will let u do that. Its exactly what they prevent you from doing, for ABS that is locking rears, for Stability control that is oversteer.

If u find yourself unable to drive without aids, just switch them off and practise, bite thru the frustration and learn.

I started with Logitech Driving Force pro, as many others did, very good wheel, very crappy pedals. Yet i was mostly in the fastest group on the servers, always all aids off except of clutch, sometimes actually found it easier to get the car to its limits when braking than with my current T500

16. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Making statements about other members like, amateur driver, noobs etc. don`t belong to public forums and I am surprised it is allowed , also that forum admin agree with that assessment.

MR01 at Malaysia, test team medium rubber, RR x1.5 , no AI, 10 laps, 40 liter, medium tire, no aids, forced cockpit view, best time 1.42,4, ABS/TC on 1.40,8 = 1,6 sec. = an eternity.

17. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Server name : Amateurs_NOOBS
    Mod: Formula Renault 3.5 2010
    No AIDS, Forced Cockpit View

"Alea iacta est"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  18. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Please post results of that clash!

19. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I waited two hours,stonec RTD, four guys joined and as usual non of them managed to make one single lap and was complaining about lack of aids, forced cockpit view and no auto clutch, however I made 10 laps stint , test team medium rubber, RR x1.5, 40 liter, no aids, best lap 1.48,6. I am sure that it is possible to make 1-2 sec better time with more rubber.

Back to topic :) I think also that OP is talking about spin recovery, above Tim has a good point and don`t mind about replays from guys like stonec that aids are for noobs use any aids you like and enjoy you gaming :)

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Opinions are like... well... you know the rest.

Never ceases to amaze how quickly people jump on a bandwagon and are happy to make blanket statements and fight to the death over a particular point.

Back to the topic indeed... the OP (who hasn't taken part in this digression at all, I think it must be noted) is using a driving aid he is now often emulating with his own driving/correction. He doesn't need a smarter or more subtle aid, he just needs to turn the aid off because he's ready to drive without it. Seems pretty simple.

Wonder what he thinks of all this? :rolleyes: