Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vittorio

vittorio Registered

When everything works as expected by Oculus (1st batch with 5000 units), i will get mine in the 2nd batch probably. 1st batch will be shipped in March. There's no info right now when and how many units the 2nd batch will be.
    Actually I assume that ISI will get an early dev kit. There's even an own thread on mtbs3d.com about ISI should get an early unit.

But if that's not the case and i get mine earlier and ISI wants to work on rift integration asap i offer mine (just PM me).

2. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I didn't get an email, but as informed in the latest kickstarter update you can ask about your order status by using this URL:
    https://www.oculusvr.com/sales/

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Thanks

I just checked & mine said same thing ( I ordered jan 21st )

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Thanks +1

:D

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

6. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

how good will it be for the eyes, many hours without relaxing the eyes... anyone?

7. gpfan

gpfan Registered

I was carefully listening to this guys and was impressed with the possibilities, one thing they said and was one of the things that occurred to me immediately was when someone said that game pads don't make sense anymore with Oculus!!! And it´s true, with
    oculus developers will find solutions to get the experience more immersive, but for Racing games or simulation, simracing all periferics will not make sense anymore, fanaleds and app´s for phones will not make sense, you will immerse into the game in a 360º surround environment where you will not see the physical but in option you will need to check the virtual one to not be lost!!! I only see big potential in RPG games but in simulation not so quit!!

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

People who have used it have actually said it doesn't cause any strain as it feels very natural and as long as that's true, your eyes should be perfectly fine and no different to just as many hours in the real world.

9. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Well, common sense tells me that looking at those small displays in a closed enviroment for a long period of time will contribute to eyestrain or tired eyes.

I played Arma 3 for over 8hours today without any real break. If I would strap myself in to Oculus rift, and sit there for long period of times, I would think about getting those breaks fo sure :)

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

But the thing is....your eyes are being tricked to focus your sight much further away (or however far the objects are in the game/render...so that things that ingame that are supposed to be only 2 inches away will appear 2 inches away from your eyes and it will be hard to focus on it just as in real life).

The screen is physically going to be only maybe 2 inches away from your face but the lenses inside the oculus will act to alter the light rays from the image to make it appear much further away. Since this changes the focal point to be further away, the muscles controlling the shape of your lens in your eyes are automatically adjusted (by your brain) to far away vision. However this is not the primary purpose of the lens (it's to make the display have a greater field of view) it would/could have the affect of making the display appear further away as well (though the following point is the principle reason why strain will not occur).

The main affect that makes your eyes automatically adjust to view something far away occurs by the laws of stereoscopic 3D that add a very real sense of genuine depth to the objects in a rendered scene. If you were to compare the image of the left and right eye, you notice objects that are closer to you will not only be larger in size but also have a greater degree of location separation between the left and right view of the same object. This is exactly the same as to how and why your brain sees 3D depth in the real world and you eyes are non the wiser that the actual image viewed is in fact only 2 inches away. As far as your brain is concerned, depending on the scene, the object could appear to be miles away and your eyes will naturally change to have a focal point for something that is to be viewed miles away.

[​IMG]

Notice how left and right views (shown in colour) of closer objects (such as the hands) have a greater distance of separation in location from one another than the other objects further away.

You strain you eyes when you focus on objects that are very close but so long as the left and right eye are shown the respective left and right eye view of an object with the correct amount of separation and alignment, the muscles controlling the independent direction of your eyes will naturally diverge from one another and also relax the muscle that works the lens in your eyes so that you feel as if you're viewing something further away.

The result....a completely fooled brain and eyes into thinking it is viewing whatever distance is set in the scene and so long as your eyes respond accordingly, you won't get eye strain as your eyes will physically be adjusted to view things further away.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  11. bigjez

bigjez Registered

Today with my HMD... 3 1/2 hours driving, nearly non-stop.
    No problems at all... well no different from looking at a regular screen for that long.

My specs are almost identical to the rift and the immersion is incredible... especially driving the Lola.
    Could do with more resolution though.

12. vittorio

vittorio Registered

It doesn't strain my eyes judging from using my DIY rift (same specs as the oculus rift, except my FOV is higher)

As a comparison:

Active 3D does strain my eyes (feeling uncomfortable after 10 min)
    Passive 3D doesn't strain my eyes as long as i don't use pop outs.
    My DIY rift doesn't strain my eyes. There is no pop out or pop in anymore because the screens edge is outside of the human eyes stereoscopic view.

On my passive 3DTV: If i set separation and convergence that the steering wheel is in the correct depth/distance, it does strain my eyes a lot, so much that the setting is completely unusable for me. Due to pop outs on the borders of screen and even looking at the steering wheel (although completely inside the screen) strains my eyes a lot.

On my DIY rift: No pop in or pop out. The steering wheel is in the correct depth/distance. No strain at all, it's like looking at the steering wheel in real life.

I don't know why there is that much of a difference, it probably has something to do with the image distance. My 3DTV is in 2m distance. The Rift is very close to my eyes.

13. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Just tested dev version. It's so... awesome. But I would not suggest dev version for any gaming use, as the resolution of the screens is too low. The pixel resolution is not so much of an issue, but the actual screen resolution as you can see all the little dots or whatever they are called. Looks like you watch old CRT monitor from very close. There is also some screen tearing when panning (moving head) fast, but these both are "issues" that are going to be fixed for customer version :) The lag that has been mentioned is not bad or distracting for me at least.

Your head / eyes will get used to the new controlling scheme very quickly, it all just comes out natural. That was pretty surprising actually. But it also depends on type of the game. My eyes didn't wander around the screens, but stayed focused in the center and my head did the looking around. Any sort of cockpit simulations will be !perfect! with this.

I tried to be as objective I could, but truth is that... far out man. It just is the thing.

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

So you can't see yourself using it in rfactor 2 then?

15. Johannes Rojola

Not the dev version, but customer version will be perfect with any sort of cockpit simulator games. The dev version is aimed for testing and game development, not for serious gaming.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Johannes, you actually have yours then ?

17. Johannes Rojola

No I don't personally have one.

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Did you try one at a show or something like that?

19. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Johannes, any video of you testing it?

Either way, there is test on youtube with it. Looks promising!

20. Johannes Rojola

We have one at our game studio. Maybe I can fix some pictures or video later :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.