Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I though wrong then, I thought ISI would be supplied with the software tools & some instructions (with the oculus rift) for ISI
    Devs to build the compatibility , gosh guess we'd be relying on oculus then too

Anyway fingers crossed !

2. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Sorry, my post wasn't ment to be that serious and i was talking about developers as individuals and not as a department or from a managment point of view.

A pity Oculus can't provide an early demo kit for ISI.

3. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Well I think that's not important at all at this point. Better for everyone to wait for Oculus to finish their SDK. I also feel they got too much too soon and now are under heavy pressure developing the SDK and especially the consumer version of the device. Let's just hope they are not forced to release something that isn't quite there yet. My main concern is display resolution. It's easy to waste this great hype they've created by releasing "unpolished" product.

4. vittorio

vittorio Registered

agree. i'm impressed of the timeline they are trying to accomplish. this is no easy task.

5. Bty

Bty Registered

They won't commit to the consumer version until the developer version is out of the way. Then they will wait for the feedback and plan the consumer version appropriately.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Their developing / testing the consumer version now,they know the weak points of the dev version,they are waiting for all feedback & perhaps a problem(s) they may have missed, I'm hoping the consumer version will be available later this year -although I've preordered the dev version I'll be preordering the consumer version too assuming I'm happy with unit

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

What they're doing makes sense. They have to do their development. :)

8. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

I also have concerns about finding my buttons when im blindfolded. But shouldn't it be possible to make a cockpit addon-mod with the IRL buttonboxes, steering-wheels and gears rendered and placed in the virtual cockpit exactly at the same location as you have them mounted IRL?
    If the Occulus have really good headtracking tech and do not drift away to much, i should be able with a quick glance at the rendered (cockpit-addon-mod ingame witch look exactly as my physical device), press the right button on my physical box?

Another issue is the field of view, if each eye has half of 1080p monitor the fov must be terrible!? I mean i have very bad horisontal fov now with a single projector in 1080p, so bad im thinking about buying 3 monitors next instead, and with Occulus its gonna be even worse? The screenshots earlier in this thread is like screenshots from my cellphone in portrait mode, witch means i see more roof of the car and even less sidewindows/mirrors??

Or am i missing something?

9. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Yes you are missing something. You forgot to read about the device. It has lenses so fov is very high. From wiki:

10. Christian Rosén

I still dont get it, if two screens share 1080p you cant have higher resolution ingame then 1920x1080?? Its like saying i get wider fov when i sit closer to my projector screen, no?

I could use a curved projector display too and achieve the same effect with 2 projectors, but still only have an resolution of 1080p?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
  11. thuGG

thuGG Registered

You don't look at the screen directly, you look at it though the lenses that make the image look like it's around your eyes so the fov is very high. The image is specially rendered to work with these lenses (that's why game engine must be modified to render this special image). People testing the device said that there is practically no borders around the image whatsoever.
    If you still don't get it then it doesn't really matter, the important thing is that it works.

12. Christian Rosén

Aha, then it must be like the picture is stretched on the sides (with less resolution?) out of focus and the lenses correct this in some way, otherwise this FOV would be impossible if the games resolution still is 1080p. Interesting solution if that is the case, since we don't need the highest possible resolution in our periferal vision, it could actually work.

13. thuGG

thuGG Registered

14. Christian Rosén

And btw thuGG it matters alot for me what the compromise are and how they have maked this compromise to be as transparent as possible. But im anyway grateful for your added info. I now can at least guess how they solved it. :)

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

16. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Just can't wait for my unit

.......the pain !!!

18. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I will wait for some serious preview specially how it will work with racing simulator!
    How much does it cost?

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

€300 for the 1st version
    If its decent I'll be ordering the consumer version too (no date on these could be a year or so maybe)

I'll post a full review of first impressions when mine shows up. (March / April time )

20. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Ok, great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.