Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I couldn't wait anymore, so i built this beauty yesterday :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inspired form this setup:
    http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15607#p84593

After some fiddle with lenses, distances, separation and convergence it finally worked and it's awesome (even without headtracking). You are IN the virtual world. It's one of the big moments (regarding technical things) i had in the past like seeing as a child a wireframe rendering from a spaceship on a book cover or getting my first 3DFX Voodoo graphics card.

I can't wait being IN Spa sitting in my historic F2 spark at the start with other fellow drivers and looking down to Eau Rouge, waiting for the start and ...

To be able to do this (when the parcel service comes with the Oculus Rift) the "only" thing needed for a quickstart i guess is:
    * Porting the now open source driver Vireio Perception to work with rf2 (tried it , but does'nt work with rf2 right now)
    * TrackIR (nothing to do, already works)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  2. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

rFactor 2 and every other sim I'll fire up in the future has to support this!
    I just wonder what kind of resolution the consumer version will have. For such a huge field of view it needs to support at least FullHD I think.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Vitt

Brill! & I thought I was impatient !

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Awesome vittorio!!!

5. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Try tridef! It should work and it's free 14 days.

6. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Some update on my DIY oculus rift and rfactor2 trials.

Good news: By using Tridef + TrackIR we can immediately go racing when our Oculus Rift Dev kits arrive!

I tried all Stereoscopic 3D drivers:
    * IZ3D: crashes with rfactor2
    * 3D Vision: doesn't support SBS
    * Vireio Perception: doesn't support rfactor2 right now. And even if it supports rfactor2 they need to change some basics.
    * Tridef: does work (you were right Postipate! some tricks are needed though)

Using Tridef for Oculus Rift Dev:

There's a Tridef profile for rfactor2 here (without 3D mirrors):
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...3D-vision-thread?p=42371&viewfull=1#post42371
    (and with 3D mirrors, i use this):
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7739-3D-Vision-anomalys?p=105987&viewfull=1#post105987

But since the screen is 7" = 15.1 cm wide, the left and right images are 7.55 cm separated . My eyes have an IPD=6.3cm so they can't focus.
    Setting "percent in front" to 100% in the tridef settings gets a lower separation, still not enough.
    But by creating a custom resolution in the nvidia driver (there's some way for AMD too) i get a smaller image centered.
    By using 1170x800 instead of 1280x800 and percent in front=100 i get 6.3cm separation for most distant objects = same as my IPD -> perfect! (losing some FOV though)

SBS in Tridef gives a wrong aspect ratio by factor 2 when used with the oculus rift, but by using a custom resolution 1170x1600 (and a monitor.inf
    for a 1280x800 screen, i used the thinkpad X200 inf) the aspect ratio is right!

Finally setting vertical FOV in rfactor2 to 100 (unfortunately 100 is max right now)

Using TrackIR:

Setting One:One in TrackIR settings, and in player.PLR:

Glance Rate="20.00000" // Rate to follow controller for glancing
    Look Up/Down Angle="1.58000" // Angle to look up/down (pitch) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Look Roll Angle="1.58000" // Angle to lean head (roll) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Glance Angle="3.01600" // Angle to look left/right (yaw) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)

Results in 1:1 head->camera movement. Lag seems to be very low, by judging what i see on the monitor.

Trying the WarpTune_Alpha3 demo was amazing.
    Then trying Vireio Perception and Dear Esther made me feel discomforting and i started to doubt,
    but this is caused by Vireio not rendering the image for left and right eye simultaneous afaik.

Using Tridef and rfactor2 feels totally natural, almost like sitting in the car IRL (no discomfort at all). I didnt race right now, only sitting in AIs car watching and looking around,
    but i could do that for hours being amazed and not getting bored :)

The resolution is very low on my DIY rift and i first thought i probably need factor 4 (amount of pixels) higher resolution for simracing. Near objects are ok, but distant objects aren't.
    Factor 4 would be 2560x1600 resolution. But then i meassured FOV and with my 5x magnifying (20 dioptry) aspheric 5.5cm diameter lenses i get a horizontal FOV of 125° (enormous)
    The Oculus Rift Dev kit is said to be a bit higher than 90° horizontal FOV. And when i calculate:
    tan FOV/2 = screen width/2 / lense distance -> my resulting screen width after magnification should be 1.575 higher compared to the rift.
    -> So the rift resolution should be 2.5x higher then my DIY rift. 1920x1200 would be 5.5x higher...

I guess now that the resolution of the rift is low but already useable for simracing. The higher the better probably up to 8000x... 2560x1600 would be great.

(Some images: Resolution on the Oculus Rift Dev kit should be 2.5x higher, Aspect ratio is wrong on these images)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Gosh hope it looks better than this

Good info though thanks for sharing

I read about the optics & aparently the image is more squashed the closer as it gets to the centre,
    The image is corrected to allow for this which means perhaps that the quality if the image (res etc) is better in the eyes direct vision than it is on the outer sides of the image ( this understanding may be a little off but I'm hoping this is the case anyhow)

Only another month before we find out (-:

8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Yes, i get that too with my lenses. (Although i don't notice this in game)

This is a view to the center:
    [​IMG]

And this is a view to the edge:
    [​IMG]

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Just an FYI, first dev kits will be ready middle of March, we're told.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya ordered mine about a week before ISI,from a few emails I'm roughly guessing mine will be with me in mid April, I do hope that ISI get a put to a high priority (due to being a software house) & receive in 1st batch etc for mid march

11. cookie

cookie Registered

Hi all, did you guys that ordered Oculus VR get a email ( Order Status: Ready - Your order is ready! We'll notify you as soon as it's shipped.) Not long now.

12. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Re: Oculus rift -over 10,000 pre-ordered already ...ISI supporting??

Yup was in my inbox when I woke up this morning. Looks like the're on target. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Not had my email yet )-:
    Did you guys order early (or recently ? )

14. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Re: Oculus rift -over 10,000 pre-ordered already ...ISI supporting??

I think mine was ordered a few days after the kickstarter began, so right at the start for me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

15. vittorio

vittorio Registered

YES, Order Status: Ready - Your order is ready! We'll notify you as soon as it's shipped.

My Order ID is 9701, so as long they didn't built 10000 instead of the 5000 on their first batch i won't get it that soon. I pledged mine on the last kickstarter day, guess that was the 31. August

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

You guys were in there fast,
    Great -keep us all updated ,

Shame ISI & software houses don't get pushed up the front if the list just to speed up development etc

17. vittorio

vittorio Registered

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Well if you receive yours & there isn't much you can do with it after checking it out & playing with it for a while, ask ISI if they want yours & they to send you theirs when they get it, i 'd maybe do that as I only use my pc for simracing (& a bit of arma2)

This would give them a head start & you never know rfactor 2 could even be supported by the time you get ISI's unit

Just an idea (-;

19. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Indeed, i had the same idea ;) So ISI if you don't get yours early, there are maybe other ways to get you one early if you want to. Keep us informed!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
  20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

ISI ordered about a week after me, so I think we'll receive ours around late next month (April) could be a tad later though I guess

Hope you get yours real quick,maybe their on route from china right now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.