Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thuGG

thuGG Registered

There is only one screen in Oculus Rift.

2. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

No. There are two screens. Each "screen" shows each eye picture for it's natural pov and mind is creating depth of image that you are being shown. It's right there where the magic happens, not in the actual Rift. Right there you are being shown images that your mind is supposed to process and give you this possibility of 3d feeling and sense of depth.

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

There is only one physical screen actually. There's a plastic divider inside the goggles :)

4. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Same goes for our nose. We have one nose but there's a organic divider inside the nose. :)

xD

So ok, we have ONE screen showing TWO slightly different pictures for each eye. ;)

5. thuGG

thuGG Registered

That's what I meant. One physical screen divided in half. Each eye gets it's own image.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Used mine alot now, the more I use it the more certain I am that soon we'll be looking back at out static framed monitors like we now look back at vinyl records !

I think a vr headset with a screen resolution of approx 900x2900 is needed ( that's 900x1450 per eye)
    A 1080p screen will still seem low

It wouldn't surprise me if some big manufactures are now developing these -perhaps one that make their own screens too ( Sony ? )

Oculus ought to be fairly swift on their consumer version, maybe they'll even get brought out by a big electronics co

Exciting times ahead (-:

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

did you mean 2320x1450 (assuming they still use a single 16:10 display)? so that's 1160x1450 per eye.

That's very gratifying to hear.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013
  8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya drr1

Re.resolution

Thinking about it I guess it's the pixel count that matters
    Overall I think about 3million would do it, there are already some small displays out there already offering this pixel count

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

ok, so visible pixel sizes that are a little over 3x smaller than the current dev kits. How distracting is the current size for you?

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Drr1

Hiya,

The devkit version is super low resolution, ok for software development which is its intended purpose , I don't mind the fishwire (trap door etc) I don't notice it really,

Distracting ? ......that's not the right word, "unusable" is the correct word

The devkit is approx 1 million pixels

HD 1080 is 2 million pixels

A VR headset needs at least 3 million pixels

(I've tested mine to represent a 1080 rift in 3d mode by running it in single display mode & I'm only using one eye open ....sounds strange but trust me it works out)

There's new screens being launched ( 7" ) with 4 million pixel counts ( paradise & exactly what we need & will also give us a little headroom in resolution ! )

Oculus seem like a smart bunch
    I doubt they'll launch the consumer version with just a 1080p screen

*bear in mind the screen is split in half ( one half per eye ) & your eyes are close to a small screen & also using optics

P.s the rift is an amazing piece if kit that will change alot. We'll be looking back on our static framed detached monitors like we now look back at vinyl records

But it does need a suitable screen

11. Adrian

Adrian Registered

I don't think its unusable especially in racing games, I've played through all of dirt3 and a couple of hours in Iracing, and game with longer viewing distances don't work (warthunder etc).

I don't know how far they can go with the resolution as how many peoples PCs can maintain 60fps at resolution over 1080p, especially considering there's going to be a leap in hardware requirements when the new consoles come out.

12. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

Yeah, I think unusable is a strong word ;)
    I'm waiting for an official option for any current racer but after playing HL2 and War Thunder I don't see racers being a big problem. It's not like you need 1km notice of a turning point.
    I've found myself messing around with Proton Pulse and Tetris as much as anything..but come on racers..just one of you come along quickly or at least let us have VorpX :)

13. VRSimulation

VRSimulation Registered

My 3rd Episode has been posted:

14. Rik

Rik Registered

bad fov with oculus

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I didn't think i would say this but the resolution is soooo bloody terrible on these dev kits....it's pretty much unusable to me. I also experienced motion sickness about 10 minutes into use which really surprised me. Perhaps i was being a bit arrogant to sincerely think "no, i won't fall into that catergory" but i really do. The reason this really surprised me (but maybe shouldn't have) is that i used to do a ton of aerobatic flying irl and not once ever felt remotely sick. However, stick me on a boat and not long into the journey and you have me feeling really sick, dizzy and disorientated (though never to the point of vomiting). I also feel like this in a moving car if i'm not looking out the window, preferable straight ahead to which i'm then 100% utterly fine.

Also the screen-door effect is just horrendously hideous and distracting. Motion tracking was pretty damned good and responsive. I'm not sure but i think my motion sickness comes down to a mixture of resolution, the total lack of g-forces and perhaps the fact there is still a delay (despite being very small) in the tracking.

I have not tried any racing games with the rift yet though. Perhaps i should.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Yes the resolution is horribly low
    But this is just the devkit put out cheaply for software dev's to make compatible with their software etc ready for the HD consumer version

I was getting a bit of motion lag (which I think causes the sickness) but turning down graphical details sorted this (my rift was on my much less powerful test pc)

I've now sold my rift on eBay (£565) & I'll be ordering the improved HD version as soon as preorders become available

Happy times ahead !

17. vittorio

vittorio Registered

That's unfortunate, but there's some hope, many people who experienced motion sickness first are getting used to the Rift after some time (getting "VR legs").

Wow, you made some good money there.

The resolution is terrible, but the immersion is still incredible. Playing Half Life 2 and HL Episode One & Two now (although I never liked FPS) often gives me full body goose bumps (I experienced goose bumps only on the arm before) and once I got nausea not due to motion sickness but cause of disgust. Flying through the Solar System in "Titans of Space" was an extraordinary experience.

But the low resolution (seeing RGB subpixels and the screendoor effect) is often disturbing. Good antialiasing and let the Rift downscale from 1920x1080 helps alot. I'm experimenting with diffusion filters ATM to get rid of the RGB subpixels and the screendoor effect with some success. Trying to get a HD display later and upgrade the Developer Kit 1 (or hopefully there is a DK2).

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Yes got my monies back & more, luck really,

We must remember this is the developers kit, it's here to create software compatibility so when the consumer version's released there is instant compatibility

I currently use 3x 27" 3d vision monitors, when I get the consumer version & tested it for a week & if im happy with it I'll be selling my monitors on eBay/forums, I'll put a 42" tv on te wall fr windows & use the VR headset whilst in sim
    (

19. osella

osella Registered

Not the best example there is because vinyl records are still used heavily by djs and some recording studios and audiophiles in general :rolleyes:

I want to try Oculus myself, sounds like true revolution in gaming (unlike 3screens etc.)

20. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

Shame it didn't work out for you mate but at least you got to play with it then make some money, which is always better than playing with it and losing money on it ;)

I've settled into the camp of messing around with tech demos and not taking it too seriously for now. I wont play games on it until VorpX comes out or more official support but I'm happy to mess with all the other cool stuff. I spent an hour playing the Tetris game the other night it was fascinating :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.