Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

It's supposedly depends on individual preference and eye sight severity. They supply a limited range of eye cups for the near and far-sighted and so you can either wear the 20-20 default cups with your glasses or switch to one of their alternative cups if it matches (or is close enough to) your eye prescription.

2. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

I know this is a little off topic and also perhaps a little strange... But has anyone thought to stick a camera on the front of the rift (as others have done) but use green screen for everything but let's say the wheel and overlay that on the game? So basically, what you'll end up with is an image of your wheel and hands on top of the in-game cockpit. The lighting would be really hard to set up, but I think if you get it right it could be super cool.

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

After seeing the F1 2012 video I am reminded how immersive it would be to have helmet overlays around your head and rain pouring onto and around your visor/goggles!!

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Gosh if it had cameras on the front, one could walk around & see within the rift everything we would see just as in the real world

(-;

5. Magus

Magus Registered

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

bum grapes :(

8. oqvist

oqvist Registered

RIP. About the 3d in GTR 2, GSC or whatever title that works well is there absolutely no convergence issue? Can be hard to discern that from ghosting. My crappy xl2410t is a bit to slow for 3d so get a bit much. More then my plasma and a lot more from when I was running my Crt. It's not just about separating the displays but hope that helps a lot.

Wonder how much I would bother about not seeing my gamet peripherals. When in race mode you have a set focus on the road. I find my shifter in my sleep. Sure particularly my 320 mm rim is in my peripheral vision maybe will miss the steering cue or a virtual wheel would do that trick.

But I have already given up on it. 1/1000 chance it will have acceptable input lag for simracing.

9. Ghost55

Ghost55 Registered

Other sim racing devs are using it which I think is a good thing because all the others will have to follow to stay competitive.

http://racesimcentral.com/2013/05/simbin-testing-oculus-rift-virtual-reality-headset/

Any devs that think that gamers and sim racers won't be racing in a virtual world are not thinking future forward... if you are going to put that much effort into making a game you want players and racers to be playing 10 years from now like GPL you had better support VR now!

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Despite agreeing with you that they should support VR and preferably now (for my own selfish reasons of i would love to have it now....pleeeeease :p), but it's probably more simpler to (post-)impliment than most probably think for games such as racing and flying that naturally lend themselves well to these types of devices. The current 2D UI is probably the only big issue here but totally-work-aroundable with a little time and patience.

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

On the TF2 vids I have seen, the UI has been handled pretty well. Only only problem is that menus are going to have to be made in a completely different way to adjust for VR. Porting the ones we have now are just too small to read, which may be just the resolution on the small screens, or the limitation of viewing in VR.

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

[​IMG]

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Thanks for the heads up Adrian. ;)

15. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Re: Oculus rift -over 10,000 pre-ordered already ...ISI supporting??

Mine was processing for 3 weeks and then turned up before it had changed to 'shipped' I got the shipping confirmation about 10 days after it had arrived :-D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Cheers Adrian that confirms my info

ISI will maybe get theirs around mid July or a tad earlier. ( me & drr1 last week of June )

17. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I got my Rift Dev Kit last week. First impression with demos: Although I had some impressions with my "DIY Rift" I was completely blown away by the immersion. I can't remember when I was as much impressed in my very long tech live. (Even the CAVE didn't impress me that much)

Perfect stereoscopic 3D + high FOV + fast headtracker (very important!) tricks my mind completely.
    I know it is not real, but the informations get processed before my cerebrum. I wondered first where my hands and my body are they should be there (no problem though, after some time it's accepted that they are missing).
    When there was a leaf in front of my nose (not straining the eyes at all btw) I instinctively smelled on it. LOL.
    The rollercoster demo scared me. I felt I'm 50m above the ground and going very fast.

I got rfactor2 working (with infos from ammonthenephite and mbuehler) by using:
    * Tridef -> stereoscopic 3D in SBS
    * Oculus Overlay -> uses SBS image and corrects lense distortion. setup IPD (eye distance)
    * Opentrack -> Oculus Rift headtracker support and FreeTrack protocoll -> compatible with rfactor2

To correct the resulting wrong acpect ratio in rf2 I used a custom resolution 1280x1600.

Although the setup is far from being perfect it feels so great sitting in the Corvette and looking around, it feels like sitting in the car in real (with a helmet), very natural.
    For the first time I am aware where the cars are around me!

Unfortunately the resolution is very low, most noticable on distant objects. Factor 4 higher resolution (in pixelcount) would be great.

For me it is obvious now, this is the future for simracing.

BTW. Is there a way to change aspect ratio in rfactor2?

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Have you tried using it with a helmet (visor) overlay?

19. vittorio

vittorio Registered

No I didn't, will try next time. By "it feels like sitting in the car in real (with a helmet)" I ment that the vision is still limited due to limited FOV like looking thru a helmet or goggles like my avatar has.

20. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Yeah... I just thought a visor overlay would add to this immersion. When I saw that vid of F1 2012 and the rain streaming over the visor, that was great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.