Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vittorio

vittorio Registered

2. coops

coops Banned

Hi Tim can you ask Gjon if he can post in here about it when he gives it a good work out ?

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Gjon is trapped in Rfactor 2 world like Lawnmower man :D

lawnmowerman.jpg

4. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

What's the chances of us beta testing Oculus implementation...got mine yesterday and really up for some VR racing :D

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Cool. Whats your honest impression of it?

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Great! Yes post honest 1st impressions please

Also what was your order date?
    &your location?

-cheers

7. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

With the right software..amazing.
    Obviously the dev kit is low res so that must be taken into account but the headtracking is perfect. I tried Dirt 3 with the virieo drivers and it was very fiddly to set up but I'll be back on it tonight. I think proper dev support will be much better and it's nice to see our fav racing devs having kits ;)
    The one demo that really impressed me was the vrcinema3D, it felt amazing and really was like being at the cinema with a 50ft screen..none of this 80" screen from 8ft type stuff :D

8. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

UK (Hampshire) Order #92XX (ordered 31st august)

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Thanks muse

Bet you were surprised when it finally showed up

I guess me (&ISI as they ordered very close to me) will have ours in about 3 to 4 weeks

10. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Hi museusteve,:) are you going to replace your triple screen setup with this new device?! is it better than the triple screen?
    Ps: nice to see you here!

11. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

Hope so mate.
    It's definitely an amazing bit of kit. There was something quite unique about looking to my right and seeing my co-driver :D
    I wish I was more into FPS etc as they'll get plenty of support from communities and third party drivers but I'm only really interested in racers and proper dev support is a must as any lag would take you out of the experience. I had some lag with my wheel last night (CSW) and that takes the whole immersion away and is very confusing on the brain but that may have been down to how I had everything setup so I'll get my teeth into it again tonight and post back when I've had more chance to test stuff out.

12. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

haha..that's the million dollar question and even though I've only dabbled with Dirt 3 I think I know already that I wont replace my screens. There's great advantages to having the Rift, the FOV is amazing, the headtracking is spot on and the immersion factor cant be matched by any screen setup but even with the best will in the world I think you will want to see your wheel and/or shifter at some time, as well as other goodies you may have on your rig.

What did feel very surreal was that after a very short period of time I actually felt like I was looking at my wheel and arms in Dirt 3 :D

13. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

haha...awesome.

For those who have triple screens and that have nice gizmo's that make up your home cockpit, i can appreciate they would kind of go to waste (in a way) if you wear a VR headset. Surely though if the resolution was high enough and/or you could find a way to easily use those "goodies" would you then consider using it full time?

Lastly, as it stands with it's current resolution...do you think it is adequate enough to be used for racing? The worry here is that Oculus are gunning for a 1080p display (assuming the screen is to be the same 16:10 aspect ratio means the display will be 1728x1080 -> 864x1080 effect resolution in stereoscopic) in the consumer version which is only going to shrink the pixel widths down to 74% of those in the dev kit. It doesn't really sound like a great improvement.

edit: second last question :p ... how does the image look with the lens concentrating more pixels in the middle of the view? Is it pronounce and obvious or rather subtle? And with that, do you find yourself moving your eyes around the entire image to see things around the edges of your fov or do you find yourself naturally wanting to move your head to bring something of interest towards the center of your view instead?

Thank you :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2013
  14. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

The resolution isn't great but the 3D sort of negates most of the disappointment and you see past it as a shortcoming, if you know what I mean. I'd race with it certainly.

If I were to design a system I'd want a way to 'see' the cockpit. I imagine a system where you take a digital pic of your cockpit and somehow overlay it into the game but then you still have the issue of the drivers arms wont leave the wheel in game and this is where the other issue is. You do something that isn't relayed on screen and it either breaks the immersion of becomes disorientating.

Maybe sit down in your fav chair, pick up the remote control to your TV and press the obvious buttons...then put the remote down, close your eyes and pick it up and press you fav buttons. Even if you know where they are you will still have times when your thumb is looking for the right button and an almost non-conscious glance and you've found it..you just cant do that with a headset on.

Tonight I plan to fire up Dirt 3 again, get it running properly then add my motion setup into the mix. It may have mixed results and I will have a bucket close by :D

15. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

I'm not sure about the resolution really, I think it's something that can only be rated when it's in your hands. I know the dev kit is low res and has chunky pixels lol...but you really don't notice them once you are in the game, I guess the brain is concentrating on the fact that you your peripheral vision is just about filled.

I don't notice an issue with pixel concentration (only taking Dirt as an example). I've read before about people worrying about that but I think in reality we rarely move our eyes around to any great extent when looking at stuff, we just naturally move our head and the headtracking is spot on

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I'm very glad to hear all this and by the sound of things, so far, it seems to align with my expectations. I am eagerly awaiting for mine to arrive.

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

18. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Aplogize because I haven't read all 13 pages of this thread and know absolutely nothing about the rift but that has never stopped me before :) ...

- How is motion blur?

- Why is resolution limited? Seems like they should have apple retina display resolution?

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Kknor

This version is just a reduced price beta version to increase support from software developers for the consumer version eta next year

Some reports of noticeable motion blur & fairly low resolution on this version , however if you look on YouTube etc you'll see people's reaction to the technology, the consumer version should have a much higher res & even lower tracking latency

The 3 d effect on headsets is perfect/natural as each eye has its own screen (or its own share of 1 screen) no ghosting no shuttering etc

If your not an extreme tech head (like me!) then do wait for the consumer version

I have triple 3d 27" screens which I love but do hope I'll be using the consumer version 100% next year (will sell my monitors then too & just put a 2d tv on the wall for windows desktop etc)

Still waiting del of mine )-:

20. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I know they have some separate lens in the dev kit box for those for those with short/long sight, I wonder how it works while wearing glasses. Or whether the diff lens can be used to counteract the need for glasses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.