Observation with rF2 default setting (SLI compatib. bit) for Nvidia SLI. Is this inte

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by alpha-bravo, Jun 23, 2014.

1. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Dear ISI devs.

Following observation I made on my system :
    I use the SLI bit 0x00000000 with two way SLI. Did a short test to compare my setting with this value: 0x02402003 and the default value which seems to be 0x02402005.

same conditions only enter the car in pit and hit strg + f for all with hdr I used the automated HDR profile. Multiview was always on and FXAA always off.

with 0x02402003 and without hdr 55 fps
    with 0x02402003 and with hdr 26 fps
    with 0x00000000 and without hdr 62 fps
    with 0x00000000 and with hdr 50 fps

the default sli bit I see in nvidia inspector is 0x02402005 but the fps performance with this value is also very poor.

This confirm my statement that the SLI stock settings for rF2 (from where ever they come) especially with HDR are not optimized and are far below the already possible performance.

I'not sure how the 0x02402005 SLI bit value found in my settings but I'm sure I have not done them.
    I presume this setting came from rF2 after the first start ?
    Can you please take a look inside this settings and confirm my observation ?
    Are there any better or other SLI settings I can set ?
    Why is there a big impact to FPS with SLI, multiview and HDR ?

I can post further information about my other nvidia driver settings if you need this information.

thx in advance Alex

PS: I noticed the ISI automated HDR give more fps then all other profiles. Good job :)
    You can see my hardware spec in my profile.

Edit: I will update this post every time if new and good settings are available.
    link to the post with all needed settings:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...I-Is-this-inte?p=295180&viewfull=1#post295180

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014
  2. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Good thread. The funny thing about the default SLI Compatibility is that I can be at 120-150 fps with multiview but HDR drops me to 30 fps. So comparing to your numbers... it's not a % performance drop, there's almost a 1/2 refresh rate thing limiting the framerate. I've noted that CPU and GPU are not completely used in this scenario.

In triple monitor nvSurround configuration I noted the following (the bolded is interesting because the GPUs and CPU suddenly aren't being used at maximum):

SLI + multiview: GPU1 and GPU2 usage are both at ~95% and the CPU is pegged at 90+%

SLI + multiview + HDR: GPU1 and GPU2 usage are both at ~60% and the CPU is between 50 and 75%

Then this test:

My usual test for each build is the C6.R at Lime Rock sitting in the pits.

SLI + Multiview = 120 fps
    SLI + HDR = 120 fps
    SLI + Multiview + HDR = 30 fps (!)

I need to try 0x00000000 tonight though, thanks for that tip.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2014
  3. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

0x00000000 what do you mean by this? is this a setting somewhere?

4. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

The Nvidia gfx driver provide several settings which you can change in the nvidia control panel but there are much more settings available but they are hidden.
    With additional tools like nvidia inspector or something else and of course much time and very important knowledge about the topic you can tweak this values to get some extra frames or eye candy effect.

If you are not familiar with this I strongly recommend you to do some research before you change anything because the result can be also very bad and in worst case a damaged hardware.

Good places to get some infos are overclocking and gaming communities but you can find also many posts about this topic here in the forum.

5. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Yep very interesting because with my settings the fps difference is not so big but on the other hand the given fps without hdr are not so high.
    The SLI bit 0x00000000 made for me not much sense or in other words I'm pretty sure I lost some SLI performance due this value but
    rF2 without HDR and ATM multiview (I wait for the Oculus rift dk2 maybe this is a alternative solution) is no choice for me.

The posted values are facts on my system and are a result of reading tons of posts about SLI and multiview settings from other people and endless try and error testing.

Looking forward to read your results with 0x00000000 and hope to some dev feedback.

6. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

You're on to something here:

Tested with C6.R at Lime Rock sitting in the pits.

0x02402005
    SLI + Multiview = 140 fps
    SLI + Multiview + HDR = 30 fps :(

0x00000000
    SLI + Multiview = 95 fps
    SLI + Multiview + HDR = 60 fps! (unfortunately lots of tearing and not so smooth at times when driving)

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The 0x00000000 profile is clearly still not optimized. W/out HDR, the 0x00000000 profile only outputted 95 fps, while the 0x02402005 profile outputted almost 50% more at 140 fps. That is a massive difference. This leads me to believe that even the improved HDR-enabled fps of the 0x00000000 profile are still not anywhere close to as high as they should be.

8. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Thanks for sharing your results. I notice your fps are exactly on 60 fps.
    I know sometimes there is a tearing visible.
    I've turned off vSync and I cut the fps at 63 or 64 fps through the value in the player.plr
    Try if it helps to reduce the tearing.

9. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Yes I think the same but as we can see the 0x00000000 doubled the fps on some systems.
    I hope on some dev feedback why this happen or what they reasons for this behavior are.

10. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I'm pretty sure that 0x00000000 is no profile at all. That is, no optimizations.

I thought I'd seen a reference for the meaning of the compatibility bits somewhere but I can't find it now :(

11. otta56

otta56 Registered

For reference purposes, the various compatibility bit settings for different sli configurations for rF2 as broken out by Nvidia Inspector's bit editor are listed below:

0x02402004 - Single GPU
    0x02402001 - 2 Way SLI AFR (Alternate Frame Rendering)
    0x02402002 -SFR (Split Srame Rendering) (needs a minimum of 2 cards)
    0x02402003 - AFR-SFR (AFR of SFR gets around the 3 frame buffer limit of DX9. Try this if using a Tri- or Quad- SLI setup)
    0x02402006 - 3 Way SLI AFR (This setting does not provide increased performance for a Tri-SLI setup. There seems to be a limitation in scaling judging by the in-game SLI indicator which freezes at a set level for all sli settings except AFR-SFR where the scaling is higher.)
    0x02402005 - 4 Way SLI AFR (This is the stock setting.)

A key change was to use the compatibility bits from the 'Crysis 1' (0x82482005) profile instead of the rFactor 2 compatibility bits. The rest of the rFactor 2 profile can be left stock. The change results in higher frame rates on all tracks with all in-game graphics options set to maximum including road and environmental reflections. There is some texture flickering on some tracks.

As always, your mileage will vary.

12. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Thx for bit reference :)
    Unfortunately the (0x82482005) does not made significant changes on my system ^^. Did a short test with this bit and my FPS dropped from around 60 to around 30.
    Anyone else tried out the (0x82482005) bit? Would be interesting to see if it something on my side and / or can be replicated on other system.

This is a really annoying matter. There is nothing clear for me it is like search something but don't know what exactly.
    Since one year I'm now (sometimes more and sometimes less) searching a solution for this and I've still nothing that helps.
    No clear statement from ISI and what should I ask nvidia ? no idea ? All I know is: there is something wrong

really annoying

I'm until sunday away from home and maybe also from the internet but if anyone have some inputs please post this here!

ISI please a clear statement would very welcome

13. Magus

Magus Registered

I'm using 4GB680's in Sli with 5760x1440 resolution with Multiview. If I enable HDR, none of the profiles that have been suggested work at a playable framerate. For me to use HDR I need to set my NVI to the following:

View attachment 13290

However, when I disable HDR I use the following NvI settings:

View attachment 13291

So basically, yes 0x00000000 does make HDR possible on my system, but also requires me to use Level 4 AA in-game settings, where as with HDR off, I get better AA using 8xS.

With all other graphical settings remaining the same, I experience more drops and tearing (with adaptive sync) than I do without HDR. But without using 0x00000000, HDR is unplayable, even when toning down the graphical settings further.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2014
  14. otta56

otta56 Registered

I have also been experimenting with profiles for improving framerates specific to my setup (3XTitans) which have terrible framerates with the stock profile amd most of the others I have tried for multiview performance. A useful one from the latest series of tests has been 0x00F00005. I can follow up with a more detailed explanation on the bit settings but the "5" enables 4 way SLI and the "F" changes the AFR2 rendering to something more suitable for 3 physical cards. The performance differences can be dramatic; with the "F" profile framerates are between 90-120 FPS at Brianza with 15 AI and all options turned to maximum. There is some stuttering however. HDR performance is still in the 20 FPS range when enabled with multiview for my setup. There is next to no published information on what the bits in the SLI profile actually do so it comes down to experimentation.

15. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

With the build 767 I did a new aproach to find some good settings for a nvidia 2 way SLI.
    Yesterday I found some interesting settings which gives me a good compromise between fps and quality with multiview and HDR on.
    I will post the settings here in the evening when I'm back at home.
    The interesting thing was if I use the default SLI compatib. 0x02402005 bit and change the force SLI rendering to SFR it increase the fps around 20 - 30 fps.
    Also I have the feeling that the image quality and the AA works much better with this settings.
    Again I will post the settings in the evening hope somebody can confirm my observation.

Edit: Here are the settings:
    rf2 options: AA Level4, VSync off, Multiview on, HDR on, FXAA off, Windowed off
    fps limited with player.plr to 64 fps (less tearing)
    Ingame settings Screenshot: View attachment 13397

nvidia inspector profile

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  16. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Your profile screenshot shows SLI_RENDERING_MODE_FORCE_SINGLE. Is that what you saw the framerate increase with or was it SLI_RENDERING_MODE_FORCE_SFR?

SLI_RENDERING_MODE_FORCE_SINGLE disables SLI as near as I can tell.

I get the same framerates with 0x00000000 and 0x02402005 with SLI_RENDERING_MODE_FORCE_SFR.

17. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Would be logical :confused: . Due the second rF2 Installation I've ATM (unstable testing) I have a test environment where all settings are on default.
    It looks to me that the better image quality I noticed has something to do with the settings in the player.json
    As I wrote in a post above all I (can) do here is more or less try and error testing because from ISI is no statement available .

This are my last used NVI profiler settings which gaves me around 6 - 10 fps more. But hard to say if this can replicated on a another system :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
  18. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I think settings like this is works fine with you system.

View attachment 13456

View attachment 13457

HDR off gives you + 30-50 fps

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
  19. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Thx Ari I will give it a try. I'm again away from home because this weekend is the Truck Grand Prix in Spielberg and I got an invitation from one of our customers :)
    I will report back the result when I'm back from Spielberg.

alex

20. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

My system is locked to 120fps no HDR because of big fps lost (-30-50 fps in my system).
    No HDR and game looks dark and there is no sunlight , SweetFX is good work around to that.

You can download SweetFX here: http://sweetfx.thelazy.net/
    64bit drivers here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4581604&postcount=528

Use SweetFX BLOOM to sunlight, there is also HDR but I don`t use it.

PS. Remember HOT KEY to SweetFX is ScrollLock, on/off.