NVIDIA 344.48 WHQL GPU Drivers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Oct 22, 2014.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Look I will always over state it of course, just to make the point there are better ways and methods is all.

For example most people that fob off true image restores without even having actually tried it use a reason like......" my OS would have changed that much by then anyway "

I do not use trueimage like you use system restore, I do not do incremental backups or even secondary backups.

I do a single backup for each new hardware or driver combo I use, that is it.

The art I feel is not in the tool but how you use it, how fast you can get a blank hardrive back to a identical state you had 5 minutes ago.

In the end you know what tools apps and drivers work for you, after that you save bookmarks passwords add anything else, clean all that up, diag it, bench it, screw it every which way......when you happy,

THAT is when you do a image , anything that comes after that should be on another hardrive of any importance. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
  2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

OK, tried it and it actually works. I now can run only 8xS AA when using this file and no longer use supplementary SGSS--and it looks pretty much identical to when I used SGSS, except of course a big boost in FPS :) I am running high res, so not sure how much that affects it, but I wouldn't hesitate to try this if you are someone extremely picky like me who is using SS or SGSS because you can't stand the jaggies.

THANKS smr_hot!!!

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

1. Yes, use 16xCSAA instead of 8xMSAA (8xMSAA is also known as "8xQ"). The "CSAA" modes get rid of more jaggies, at least on my system (780 Ti) AND 16xCSAA offers better framerates than 8xMSAA (8xQ). It really is a win-win situation :). If people have the same results as me, then they should definitely be going with 16xCSAA instead of 8xMSAA (8xQ).

2. Also, make sure you enable Transparency Multisampling as well (not Transparency Supersampling if you're concerned about framerates). The Transparency Multisampling enabled pretty much does the same thing as "Transparency AA" in the rF2 player.json file, however the NVidia version does a better job, having said that, you can enable both for an even teeny, tiny further improvement because it doesn't seem to effect framerates so I leave both on. However if you were going to just pick one, then enable the transparency multisampling from the NVidia control panel.

Note: Even though I have Transparency Multisampling enabled through NVidia Inspector, when I look at my rF2 profile settings in the official NVidia control panel, it DOES NOT say that I have transparency multisampling enabled. The official NVidia control panel says that it's still on the default "global" setting. This is odd as most other changes in NVidia Inspector get reflected in the official NVidia control panel since they should be "tied" to the exact same thing. However, rest assured that setting the Transparency Multisampling definitely, 100%, works when set from NVidia Inspector as that's where I set it from for all my comparison tests.

I just spent 3 hours comparing regular multisampling modes (including CSAA), control panel transparency multisampling VS in-game transparency AA, and all texture sharpening modes (0-5, I think I will use 1 or 2 now, 0 looks hideously blurred - just terrible)...I will make a thread about all this later or tomorrow (got some things to do).

I'm not sure I understand...he says in his post that he is just using Level 3 AA (which is just 4xMSAA) and that's it. That is hardly any AA at all and should look pretty aliased, yet his picture looks cleaner than 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA...There is no way he's just running 4xMSAA in that picture, no way.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2014
  5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Everyone will be satisfied with different quality levels. Regardless of what quality you prefer, odds are if you use this file you can turn down resource-intensive sampling. I prefer not to reduce AA itself, but to each his own. I have been using SGSS for 4 or 5 years, going back to rF1 and whatever point the NVIDIA idiots disabled the clamp feature in their drivers. I no longer need to use it.

By the way, why would NVIDIA disable clamp? Perhaps because with it enabled you don't need nearly as much GPU horsepower to get the image to look good????? Why are people skulking around and needing to hack this? I am quite annoyed about it, actually.

Only way to find out is to try it for yourself and decide for yourself what balance is best (no different than now). Except your options of performance versus quality will suddenly be better.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

? I don't understand what you mean? What file? What settings? All I see is a post from smr_hot saying he's only using 4xMSAA, yet his picture shows a nicer image than mine with 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA. Other than that there is no more info provided from him. To me, his picture looks much better quality than regular 4xMSAA, so I'm not sure what's going on there, but my PC sure as hell doesn't look as good as his pic when all I have enabled is regular 4xMSAA.

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

He is/we are using a special NVIDIA driver file that you stick in the rF2 .exe folder. It fixes the "clamp" option that has been disabled in official NVIDIA drivers for a long time. But it's a feature that makes or breaks ISI-based graphics and why some of us resorted to using SGSS to achieve the same effect, but at a huge performance penalty.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ohhhh, yes, yes, I know of that file. Does it work better than setting texture sharpening in the player file to either 0, 1, or 2?

9. TechAde

TechAde Registered

What clamp does is force all negative biases to zero...

What Texture Sharpening at zero does is force all biases to zero.

I don't think a track or car exists that uses positive bias.

Therefore, effectively, clamp and Texture Sharpening at zero do exactly the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

There is more than one of "these" files floating around. The most popular one doesn't work. It sure works differently/better on my rig.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I would assume that, too, but not my experience with rF2. I'll try again comparing these precisely with more tests when I have a chance later.

My personal favourite test locations are the metal fence/separators in the garages at Portugal and the fencing in the pit area at Silverstone. Simple test: do they look solid and real, or a mass of shimmering, shifting, jagged-edged digital mess? ;)

12. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I keep hearing "clamp" is disabled in Nvidia drivers. What?

View attachment 14848

It's right there. What am I missing?

13. TechAde

TechAde Registered

The fact that the setting doesn't actually do anything!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

its works for older sims better, it does not harm other profiles so why not use it globally. ? lol

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

When texture sharpening in the player file is set to "0" ("0" corresponds to "off") I have wayyy more blurring then when texture sharpening is set to "2" and "1" which correspond to "blurry"/mip-map LOD bias +1, and "very blurry"/mip-map LOD bias +2, respectively.

At "0" ("off"), the blurring is atrocious and looks like a mip-map bias of +5 or something, it literally looks like the track-maker decided to stop rendering/implementing any textures half-way down the straightaway, and as if Anisotropic Filtering stops working halfway down the straight. Where as texture sharpening @ "2" ("blurry", mip-map LOD bias of +1), or "1" ("very blurry", mip-map LOD bias of +2) doesn't completely "wipe-out" the game's graphics, while still achieving some nice smoothing.

EDIT: Actually, I analysed my pics further. It's odd. It seems that texture sharpening @ "0" is actually less blurry and destroys less objects (not only the sharpness of objects, but entire objects all-together like flowers, grass, etc.) than texture sharpening at "very blurry" ("1"), but only for some closer objects; for further objects (eg. as you look further down the track), then texture sharpening on "off" ("0") is much more blurry than even "very blurry" ("1"). In-fact, it's quite a dramatic difference.

So I was actually wrong in saying that "0" kills more graphics than "1". "0" is slightly better than "1" with some closer objects, but "1" absolutely demolishes "0" as you continue to look further-on into the scene.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2014
  16. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Would you care to back this claim up with some screen shots?

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes, TechAde, I'm in the middle of that now. Will make a new thread about it, give me 20 or so minutes...

18. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Thanks. :)

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I don't understand this clamp LOD aversion either.

rF2 looks brilliant now whether it is last gen drivers or ISI builds I don't know.

Before I used to have sparkles and shimmering on all the F3 chrome / alloy, now it is absolutely clean.

Before jags and sawtooths, now, any view, TV cam or free I can't find a jag anywhere anymore ( ISI and better circuits )

Even the track vehicles look better in that then they used to cleaner lines something i dunno know.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned