NVIDIA 344.48 WHQL GPU Drivers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Oct 22, 2014.

1. smr_hot

smr_hot Registered

Yes. Send me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2014
  2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Addict, give 16xCSAA a shot. Also, you can lower other settings in order to use a higher amount of AA without loosing performance. Set less visible opponents, set anisotropic filtering to 8x (instesd of 16x), set opponent detail to low or medium, and set

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Interesting idea with the AF to 8 from 16. What should we expect visually when we lower that filtering? How about 4x?

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

At 4x you can notice blurring of the ground textures as they go further off in the distance. 8x, though, is hardly a difference from 16x (in terms of IQ) but can help fps especially with lots of cars on screen.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Well, there is just about zero performance gain for my system by reducing this to 8x. Really dropping it has a small effect. However, for people with lower-end cards, it certainly appears like rF2 is so sharp in the distance even at lower settings (if you are using a fairly high res), this could be a good option to gain a few FPS.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

When I had 30 opponents on screen, AF at 8x instead of 16x gave me at least 10 fps, maybe 20, I cant rememner for sure, it was a few months back. Alone, though, I found it hardly made a difference.

7. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

8. sg333

sg333 Registered

I was a couple of releases behind on drivers but just upgraded to 344.60. Even at 1080P on my GTX780 I've lost a ton of frames (down to 60~ where over 100 was possible)... BUT... it seems to be worth the cost as it looks beautiful (Sebring, evening, URD :) )

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

60 fps instead of 100? That's an extraordinary loss of fps. Are you sure that every setting - in-game, and driver - is set exactly the same as before?

10. SinnerMcSaint

SinnerMcSaint Registered

Same here, significant loss of fps with the new drivers. All settinge exactly like before, will do more testing tomorrow

11. sg333

sg333 Registered

Yes, all the same settings. I am still getting (capped) 120fps quite a lot, but with large grids on certain tracks, certain portions of the track I would suffer small loss down to 90-100fps, now those same sections are dipping to the 60's.

Perhaps the Nvidia default settings are different to the last driver version I had (I think it was 340.xx) so I may do some digging there.

12. Carlo

Carlo Registered

I didn't notice much of a difference in fps when going to 344.60 from 344.48. Maybe a slight loss, but nothing more.

Odd that some are experiencing such a fps loss. Please let us know what you find after checking your settings.

Slightly OT, but I found image quality to be better as a result of updating from b860 to b890 - not as a result of nVidia driver updates. I could be drunk however.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

No

lol

;) sg333

---------------

My method is extract the driver before setup and delete everything I do not use.

That leaves 2 folders, Display.Driver and NV12 ( no need for PhysX on my "sim" OS )

After install open NVCP, set Power Management and Display Performance Mode and apply globally.

Close NVCP, open NV Inspector and import your saved profiles. ( you do save profiles ) p

Now start rF2 ...no need to run any config.exe ...........you may change something else.

Simply let it start offline, it will boot at 1024x768 ( at least mine does ) then click settings, click resolution and apply.

All she wrote that should run with a whisker +/-

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
  14. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah the actual driver seems to be same package, probably apps updates.

16. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Guys, I'm stuck way back with 331.82 drivers. I seldom change because it can be a crap shoot as to whether anything can be gained or even if things can be made worse with an upgrade, like for instance these newest drivers for some folks. I tend to go with "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but after so long it makes sense to go ahead and take a leap. Can one or more of you guys that updates often give me any advise that will save me from reading tons of threads. I have a 780ti with 3 screens. Is there any consensus driver might give me a few more FPS with not too much risk? A prettier picture would be nice too even if there was no FPS gain.

All I play is rF2 and I don't go crazy with AA, usually 4x but sometimes I venture into 8x territory depending on the track. I try to not lose to many FPS.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Try the 2nd last WHQL drivers (v344.48), seems to be ok for me. The beauty is that you can always uninstall and then reinstall the older drivers again.

18. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

thanks I'll give them a try. I'll make a restore point before I do.

Edit: Well those installed with no trouble and I seem to have gained a couple of FPS. It's funny, when I had a lesser graphics card I thought if I bought a really good one I would see such huge improvements that I would stop fiddling around so much trying to eek out every last FPS I could get. Haha! That obviously hasn't turned out to be the case!

Thanks for the tip Spin

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
  19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Snap out of these restore points mate. lool ;)

You should have all that garbage disabled.

System restore won't save ya.

Get TrueImage, I show you with Parted Magic how to reset your SSD to factory speed and restore your best saved image in minutes.

Why waste time with a slow arsed tool don't even do a decent job. :)

=====================

edit: hehehe

Why don't we do a benchtest 7 vs 10 compare. ?

Show people how spending a extra $100 on a OS is good bang for buck. :rolleyes:

Example, just stick with your W7 and get a i5 instead of a i7 you you will have $250 EXTRA to spend on a GPU .....................

Talk about bang for buck .......lool

P.S. Actually with aussie dollar MS has risen to $112 for W7 HP or W8 standard.

==================

P.S.

Look I am not being trolly or conceited or ego headed.

I personally run sims , rF2 is my only concern so a upgrade to W8 or W10 is a total waste of money.

If like me all you care for is rfactor2 and a few other sims besides watching movies, whatever ..... then stick with W7.

You like your tablets , devices, community sites and heaps of icons to click on and look at
    ( lol sarcastic bugger DD p ) and run your SIMS ........... well W10 is the go for you no doubt.

Especially if you run latest gen stuff with 100% efi bios and all GPT partitioning and SSD's
    .......I would recommend W8-W10

Which is all I said when W8 trial was first released.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  20. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Actually it has saved me many times. It may not be state-of-the-art but it's a winner for ease-of-use. I have no reason to not use it.

Durge, it's very generous of you to impart so much technical guidance to the group but I'd guess that 1 in 20 people here have your system level expertise. Most of what you recommend seems so daunting to me that I can't bring myself to undertake it. But by all means keep it up. Of the 19 dummies out of 20 here I'll bet at least some of them take the Durge challenge sometime. :)