New nvidea cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smbrm, Feb 18, 2014.

1. smbrm

smbrm Registered

I suspect that these new nvidea 750 cards are not enough, while the Titan black just sounds expensive, although double the memory?

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750-ti

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan-black

Perhaps with the preference that Rfactor2 has for nvidea cards it would be nice if they included Rfactor2 as a standard benchmark? But I guess racing sims aren't popular enough to qualify as a standard benchmark?

Interested in comments

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yes. And more so, rf2 is a very small portion of that racing community. Adding rf2 benchmark to their list is not going to be applicable to 99.9% of people looking at that data to gauge whether it's worth upgrading to that or this card for them. Battlefield 4....totally different story. Probably applicable to 50% people looking at those graphs.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Within reason I find most sims bear roughly the same results in relative performance when applied to a specific GPU.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_750_Ti/25.html

With that you get more a idea then NV charts.

It is spread over both card makes, all resolutions and a suite of games that is the best and worst with all GPU :)

BTW at bottom of page is dropdown for individual games used and resolutions

4. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Going by the benchmarks that they (NVidia) provide you would have to say the Titan black gives so little extra it seems rather pointless. In one of the nvidia benchmarks a 690 beats it, that's how tiny a performance improvement it is, that on certain occasions a card from a series lower can out perform it. 780 or 780ti seems like the best bang for buck until they bring out a new chip. Some people will have to get 4x titan blacks though, and they know that. :)

5. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Waiting for the GTX 790 :D

6. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Here's a shock -- the performance difference from a 480 to a Titan Black is just 100%. Quite surprised by that.

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Just wait until you guys find out that R and D never stops on GPU's. If you're always waiting for the next best thing you're going to have your current card for quite sometime. ;)

8. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Well I've joined the nvidia family , did have the 7970 ,great card but im a sucker for having whats recommended, got my Gainward GeForce GTX 780 Phantom GLH 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card , well I am amazed / happy and so glad I could change :)

9. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

The GTX 790 is interesting, Nvidia is thought to be putting two 28nm GK110 GPUs on the card working across dual 320-bit memory buses.
    That will offer a rather ridiculous 4992 CUDA cores. It’s also combined with 10GB of GDDR5 memory. The GPUs are not expected to be fully-enabled parts as Nvidia wants to hit a TDP of 300W.

:cool:

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

5 is mid-range. The first number is the generation, the middle number is it's position within that generation. A higher position lower gen card can beat a lower position next gen card. 690 would/could beat 750.

11. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Does that mean the 790 will feature two slightly cut down 780 chips, or two slightly cut down 780 Ti's?

12. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Question about the 790 is to run the card at full capability do you have to enable SLI? If so it isn't going to work anywhere near as well as the specs would make you think. Another benchmarkers card quite possibly.

13. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Yes you would definitely have to enable SLI for the 790.

14. smbrm

smbrm Registered

So, is it the Cuda cores, the clock speed, or the ram level that is most important to rFactor2?

Which are better, the 780 single fan versions or the double fan versions?

Sounds like maxwell based cards may only have lower power consumption as a primary benefit, just speculation?

15. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

I would suggest the Gigabyte GTX 780 OC Windforce 3GB GDDR5

The reason is it has 3 fans, a newer design for air flow which keeps it cooler than the other 780 designs and is factory overclocked and outperforms the other 780 versions except for the larger ASUS brand I believe. It is 295mm long though so you'd need a case to support it, it is the second longest 780 card in the market with the ASUS being the largest.

16. RJames

RJames Registered

No neither, although i've not seen the final 790 specs they have always previously used lower spec chips than the x80 range. E.g. I had a 690 which essentially was 2x 670's in one card in SLi.

I'd very much expect the 790 to be 2x 770's. And the cuda cores & ram I'd doubt would be as high as said here as nice as it would be it would mean the next generation 880 would have to be a absolute monster + the fact it would kill the titan black market.

I'd expect to see 5/6GB RAM max on it also (690 had 4GB). From the progression of previous cars. As also said Nvidia will cap these cards, probably quite heavily not because of the gaming market but because of their Quadro Range of cards, they have to hold back geforce performance so that they can sell the unlocked Quadro cards for alot more to 3d artists etc. This is why the titan was a interesting card as at release it was borderline near spec of some £4k cards in the Quadro range.

I paid a little extra for the double fan on my EVGA SC ACX 780, as under load having a extra fan & better cooling can only be good right! So far it has not let me down and i've tried things like AC Black Flag at the max with full particles etc which did rev the fans right up.

17. Narrowbackwing

I got this a week ago Gainward GeForce GTX 780 Phantom GLH 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card , rF2 just loves this card everything on max settings with new rf2 update , I run 3 screens and getting around 55 fps at start or race Silverstone , Marussia F1 21 AI visible , after that a steady 70 to 80 fps , best move I've made in years to update my system .
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sear...R5+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card&_=13935214058879
    The new GeForce GTX 780 is all about hyper-realistic gaming and next generation technology. The GeForce GTX 780 features the same record-breaking GK110 GPU used in GeForce GTX TITAN. The massively powerful NVIDIA Kepler ™ based GPU contains 50% more cores than its GTX 680 predecessor AND comes with 3GB of high-speed GDDR5 and NVIDIA GPU Boost 2.0 technology. GeForce GTX 780's 384-bit memory interface provides up to 288.4GB/sec of peak memory bandwidth to the GPU. All this combines to give you over a 40% gaming performance upgrade.

Features:-
    - Gigantic 3GB GDDR5 memory for the best gaming experience & the best resolution
    - NVIDIA GPU Boost 2.0 Technology for intelligent monitoring of clock speed, ensuring that the GPU runs at its peak and the game is at its highest frame rate possible. It offers new levels of customization, including GPU temperature target, overclocking, and unlocked voltage
    - NVIDIA Adaptive Vertical Sync adjusts VSync to current frame rates for maximum playability
    - Bring games to life with NVIDIA® Surround™ multi-monitor gaming on a single card
    - PCI Express 3.0 Delivers double bandwidth per lane of PCIe Gen 2 for faster GPU - CPU communication

Specification:-
    - GPU: GeForce GTX 780
    - Core Base Clock: 980 MHz
    - Core Boost Clock: 1033 MHz
    - Memory Clock: 6200 MHz
    - Memory Size: 3072MB GDDR5
    - Bus Type: PCI Express 3.0
    - Memory Bus: 384-bit
    - CUDA Cores: 2304
    - Memory type: 64Mx32
    - DirectX 11.1: Yes
    - DVI Port: DVI-I /DVI-D
    - DisplayPort: Yes
    - HDCP: Yes
    - HDMI: Yes
    - Warranty: 2yr

EDIT , Nice Warranty And temp stays around 38 .

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  18. C3PO

C3PO Registered

@Narrow -- what resolution are you running and what CPU?

19. Narrowbackwing

Hi C3PO you click on my specs all info there .

Res 5952x1080

Intel core i7-2600 sandybridge .
    For anyone who don't know click under avatar , all should do this it helps when trying to solve problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  20. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Wow -- that sounds great. Looking to upgrade from my 2 x GTX 680 2GB cards -- think the VRAM usage is holding things back. Also considering the Titan Black 6GB.