New nvidea cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smbrm, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

So should I try to sell my asus for to save an extra $100 or just go for it and do the trade + $800?

2. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

If it was me I would just get it done, by the time you pay fees on selling your card if thru ebay you would loose the $100 probably.

In UK you can't even fill your car up for $100 unless it's a little one. Depends how important a possible $100 saving is.

3. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

This is to good to be true lol , bit the bullet , that's an amazing deal , what have you got to loose ?

Sorry if I miss it , but why is he selling , and why dose he want your 7970 .

Buy buy buy , no sell sell sell , s.h.i t go for it .

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

He doesnt want my card per say, but if hes giving me $300 for it but can sell it for $400 then he can make an extra $100. I am going to go for it. My plan is to keep both cards and get into 3d as 3d almost halves your fps. Or I might use 3d for my non-simracing games only because you are forced to not only be at only 60 fps, but also with vsync on, so too much lag for my racing sims for me. So, disable the 3d for sim-racing but enable it for everything else.

Hopefully getting used to 3d in my non-sim games won't spoil me for when I need to disable it and run 120 fps / 120 hz 2D Lightboost for my sims.

I needed some convinving from you guys or I would have probably just said "screw it" and went for a used, single, non-Ti 780. Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

To be on topic:
    I just bought a 750 TI and I must say that the performance in rF2 is
    Fantastic!
    Everythings fine! I play with details on high (except track: that is max)
    HDR on, road refl. high, shadows max (include shadow smooth fast), 8xAF, 2x AA with 8x SS, 1440P
    and on top of it, it is so cool and quiet that I can turn off my chassis fan!

Strongly recommended!
    (at least for everyone under a 660)

Greets
    Pete

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You use 8x supersampling and 1440p? Are you sure? That would normally kill even a gtx 780, let alone a 750ti.....

EDIT: Wait, first it says 2xAA then it says 8x SS???...I don't get it. So you are using 2x antialiasing but 8x supersampling? Isn't supersampling the form of AA? How are both treated as 2 seperate options with 2 seperate amounts of AA? Nvidia AA settings always seem so confusing to me.....

7. MJP

MJP Registered

I assume he means Transparency AA that he's using 8xSS (in NVCP/Inspector) as opposed to whatever sort ISI is using with their PLR option.

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yes, sorry for the confusion!
    I mean Transparency AA setting in Nvidia 3D manager.
    But one mistake I made nevertheless: it´s only 4x.

Greets
    Pete

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

So SS doesnt stand for Supersampling? Sorry im not too familiar with all the nvidia settings but I am very curious as I just went back to nvidia for the first time since my first ever GPU (FX 5600)

10. TechAde

TechAde Registered

With nVidia Inspector you can set normal AA and transparency AA separately, so you could have e.g. 4xMSAA + 8xSSAA.

11. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Hi Everybody,

The results are in. The 780Ti has arrived and is installed. Very pleased with the results overall.

Three screens connected to one card: one via HDMI and two via DVI-I. The HDMI output feels slightly less clear than the other two though (is this an issue with HDMI output, my cable or something else?) . There is a third "D" port whatever that is. EDIT: fixed this visual quality issue on the monitor by using an HDMI to DVI adapter into the monitor.

Anyway, these are the FPS using Build 494 and the standard test described in page 2.

Red = 780Ti single card 3GB
    Blue = 680 SLI 2GB x2

[​IMG]
    picture share

VRAM usage is around 1.8GB for 16 AI at Silverstone. With the 680s it was just over the 2GB level. Temperatures goes to 58C under load

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
  12. TechAde

TechAde Registered

13. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Airflow in the case is fine as I've whipped out 2 680s and there is now just this card ... will check the fan operation...

14. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Sorry sorry -- I was reading the wrong thing. Under load it is 58C :cool:

15. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Phew, I was panicking for you there.... :)

16. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Me too!!

17. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

I think DVI-D only carries a digital signal - while DVI-I has digital and analog .
    Nice results .

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

oh ok I think I got it. So the 4xmsaa is basically just 4x regular good old aa, and the 8xssaa is 8x supersampling aa, but that 8x supersampling aa is only for the "transparent" objects like trees, fences, etc. while the rest of the scene uses 4x regular non-supersampling aa...Is thst correct?

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I used to always have a slightly different picture with my HDMI as well. Also, HDMI is jnferior to DVI and Displayport as it cannot do more than 1920x1080 or more than 60 Hz, well until HDMI 2.0 I believe. I would use Displayport for the third monitor if you can, rather than HDMI.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  20. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Solved this issue with a HDMI to DVI adapter. All is fine and in sync now :)