My experience with a more realistic FOV.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by green serpent, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Louis

Louis Registered

Another thing, doesn´t seem the girl eyes are 50 cm away from the screen. G27 body occupies almost 30 cm. The screen seems few cm after g27 body, so match this 50 cm to screen, her eyes should be less than 20 cm from the screen. Doesn´t look like

And your fov in this picture doesn´t seem to be 70~80. Looks much lower value like 30~~35

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  2. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Can't give you the exact numbers anymore because I have slightly changed my setup. But I can tell you with basically 100% certainty that that is not a 35° FOV (according to what rF2 was telling me anyway.) From memory it was around 70°, and you can tell visually that it is a relatively wide FOV from the crazy distorted stretch of the A pillar of the NSX.

But yeah, I agree that the driver is sitting too low and either the seating position needs to be moved up or screen moved down.

My current seating position is 70cm away from the screen, which means a 1:1 vertical FOV of 52°. I usually crank it up to about 65° for a greater sense of speed.

I'm intrigued about your crazy FOV theory... surely you sacrifice a few more neurons for the greater good of sim racing immersion?

3. Louis

Louis Registered

lol i will try, i had to take some images. So be prepared for bad english, crazy logic and images taken directly from a cell phone (and a horrible and old 27but still working )

4. Louis

Louis Registered

So, this is the most famous tool to calculate fov 1:1
    http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/
    Is based on screen size and distance from screen to the eyes of the player. Just like multiview tool do on rf2 (but in rf2 we don´t get the fov number)
    I will use myself and my rig as exemple. Im at 65cm from my center screen using 3 24" screens. Calculating using Mrpixcalculator, i got 26º
    In rf2 without cockpit using same measures i got this image:
    WP_20180217_23_23_08_Rich.jpg *sry, forget to turn on multiview tool so you can check measures

So the problem is that my screens are serving as windows to the virtual world, but "my real cockpit" which should be part of the virtual real road represented on screen, does not start on the screens, it starts on my steering wheel (about 40cm distance rom my eye )
    I think every one could agree that the most perfect position to screen shoul be just after stering wheel (not after steering wheel entire motor, jus after the wheel like it was atached to monitor.

So, in this case the screen distance to my eye should be about 42 cm to the screen. Mrpix fov calculator doesn´t have this distance because no one can manage to stick the wheel into monitor (people with projector can get close to real fov than triples. Vr is invencible)

I can do this on rf2 (setting my eyes distance to screen to 42cm) Cockipit feels good and imersed adjusting seat position and seat pitch but it kills road view because cockpit and road fov are integrated for what i understand
    Here an exemple of me using 65cm to center screen and 40 cm to what would be the perfect place for center screen and how this kill the road fov because i take the picture from 65 more or less to the screen
    WP_20180217_23_24_40_Rich.jpg 65 cm to center screen. Take in consideradtion that i can only adjust this mod well to my screen because it has a wide range of seat adjusts

WP_20180217_23_27_35_Rich.jpg Now at virtual perfect screen position of 40cm (distance of my eye to the wheel). It was a lot easier to adjust to cockpit but road looks way streched.
    In 65, most car i have to go max back seat and not always good

So, long story short because i have a lot of images but i´m already loosing my train of thoughs, im sleepy, i compromise and split in half the virtual perfect screen position (behind my wheel 40 cm) to the real screen position which is 65. So i got 25 cm of diference, cut in half, take from 65 and got 53, i think put 2 more to be safe and go play with 55 lol Serously, 55 fit to every cockpit in game both open wheel or gt without sacrificing too much the real fov (real, but not ideal beacause idealy the steering wheel should be atached to monitor

images left WP_20180217_23_27_35_Rich.jpg WP_20180217_23_32_33_Rich.jpg WP_20180217_23_34_08_Rich.jpg WP_20180217_23_34_27_Rich.jpg
    vIDEOS:
    Some video dind upload, I missed the start, i forgot i was using headphones, the smartphone wave to much, i´m tired with headache, hungry and riled up

tried at least

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Louis I think you're overthinking this. The virtual cockpit is the right size, the track is the right size, so both will look fine with correct FOV (1:1) and a suitable seat position.

The anomaly is that your eye to steering wheel distance may not match the car's helmet to steering wheel distance, which can mean your view of the cockpit edge may be wrong when your virtual eye is in the correct position in the car; it seems you're inclined to adjust until the cockpit is correct at the expense of the track being correct - and then sort of going halfway in between (so neither the cockpit nor the track are correct, but they're both only half wrong)

I'd say just make the track correct (true 1:1 FOV for your screen distance) and accept that the cockpit may not match your real wheel distance. I realise this may affect visibility of some instrument clusters depending on the car, but when you're trying to drive to the limits of the track it's the track that you need to see properly.

Louis likes this.
  6. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Hahaha, thanks for going to the effort of explaining it!

7. Louis

Louis Registered

:D

8. Louis

Louis Registered

I went from overthinking to underthink when uploads and images got messy here :D
    But i´m happy enough that you was able (even not agreeing) to see what i was trying to tell:
    " which can mean your view of the cockpit edge may be wrong when your virtual eye is in the correct position in the car; it seems you're inclined to adjust until the cockpit is correct at the expense of the track being correct- and then sort of going halfway in between (so neither the cockpit nor the track are correct, but they're both only half wrong)"

But closer to 1:1 is better. Thats why i talk about mods and set adjustment. Not al mods that i use allows to put seat back enough so i can feel immersed as i think it should be. So i tend to compromise 1:1 fov a littlebit because that setting is one to keep for driving purposes braking points and etc.

Wondering again (dont worry, without images and not to much), there is 3 possible solutions:
    1. what i use (compromising a little bit 1:1 fov)
    2. Diferent fov settings to vehicle and to track (dont think this is possible)
    3. Modders doing cars model in a higher scale then road and track objects. Like, if track, objects, opponents was build in a 1:18 scale, vehicle (only cockpit view, not the opponents) would be doing in a 1:20 (dont think it is possible too. I have no clue about cars or tracks modelling)
    Cheers

9. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Oh. Man. Just looking at those triples makes me want to dig mine out. I will never get tired of the clarity over VR. But I can't find that perfect FOV with them. I want to try bigger screens on end so I can see more gauges and the top of the windshield. For some reason, that really bothers me?

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, I started out disagreeing with you then as I typed I understood what you were getting at... and I wasn't even tired :confused:

I imagine your option 2 isn't entirely impossible (the game could actually scale up the car body graphically when you're in cockpit view) but I doubt there's enough demand for it to actually be done. But I think this issue can basically be removed by 'just' having bigger screens and more flexibility on where they are.

I tried hooking up a 32" tv yesterday - albeit still nearly 80cm from my eyes, I just don't sit that close to the wheel and I wasn't going to try some sort of mount setup for a quick test - and even with 28 degrees vFOV I could get around a track pretty well and it was good to feel like things were in the right place visually. But I could barely see my car at all, so I had that choice of correct FOV and put up with it, try to move the seat back as far as possible so I can actually see what I'm driving (but then have to adjust my lines a bit, because now I was so far back from the normal driving position), or have more FOV. I stuck with the first option for my few laps but it wasn't really comfortable. But I think my main problem there was driving the radical with my upright seating position and the wheel well below my eyes, and having to try and relate that to the on-screen car which I should be sitting down in but then half my screen would be cockpit and I'd feel like my wheel is down on my knees. I guess VR could hide that discrepancy better.

It does make me think that if I ever go for triple screens I'd like to have some flexibility in seating and wheel position, so I could have a low driving position for open wheelers and a higher one for tintops. Just moving the wheel up and down would probably suffice.

11. Louis

Louis Registered

Vr is another level in immersion terms. Even a big enough triple screen setup can´t match VR experience. I think in 2019 first quarter will exist a hardware with good enough resolution to people even have second toughts like @vegaguy5555. But it will be expensive. And not only because vr hardware but pc to run it, as you already know.

In rf2 early beta stage i built a cockpit (I still use many parts of it) with adjustable steering height and a 32 "lcd tv. But my mistake was to make it dependent on the monitor.For openwheels it was cool because the monitor (center) was almost aligned to my eyes but when adjusting for gts, the monitor went down as well. I ended up setting at fixed position a certain time, and just slipping a little on the bench and pushing away the pedals to get a better feel for openwheels. Then as advice if you do, it is to make a bench with height adjustment and inclination. I was not able to have at the time some smart and affordable solution.
    Here is my nephew driving in it but i didn´t found pics of the mechanism that I created together with a locksmith (<-this is what google translate gave to me about that professional that cuts iron pieces and weld things. Doesn´t seem right but you can figure about what i´m talking)
    IMG_0695 (2).JPG The tv was too low but even so i had great races at Durge´s f3 Rookies
    The structure could be a problem too. You must want a solid stuff (another problem i had in this cockpit). One in the forum that was rock solid that i remember is from a guy from Israel, i think, or palestine. not sure. I even made a joke about a bombing happening in his country and his cockpit still up. how funny am i? Jesus... Glad he take in a good way. His nick was Wadji...something.
    Well, thats it. I getting tired again ahahah
    Cya

edit: 47 minute to right this shit, annoyed now and dont even said all what i want...f

12. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

With TrackIR you don`t have to think seat height or mirrors. I have huge triples and I am using TrackIR to get 1:1 view, right set positing and I can also look into the apex which is the main argument to black knights of VR about why VR is so superior vs triples. It is also possible to use Nvidia 3D vision at 100 or 120 fps which was not possible before to get even closer to VR immersion but ofcourse you need high end PC to be able to run 3D vision at 100/120 fps. I have VR but my choice to sim racing is triples, TrackIR and Nvidia 3D vision ;)

13. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I use TrackHat, but I don't use it in RF2 as much as I would like since you only get about 45deg looking left or right. AC on the other hand you get a much better look around view and is a lot more sensitive so it's easier to use.

14. Stephen O'Sullivan

Stephen O'Sullivan Registered

15. Ernie

Ernie Registered

I would recommend this video:

Stephen O'Sullivan likes this.
  16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Now I have to figure out my screen rez, my ratio, it's work work work and I have a Kingdom to run, an Invasion to plan and....

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If the angle is based on rF2's "glance angle" you can change that in either the controller or player file (can't remember which). I increase that value because I find look left/right don't let me see approaching cars in the pit lane. It's in radians.

AMillward likes this.
  18. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Thanks!

19. Louis

Louis Registered

I think is only good for replays. I can not get how 1 single screen user can drive turning his head to left or right but keeping eyes on monitor

20. Louis

Louis Registered