My experience with a more realistic FOV.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by green serpent, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I use trackIR with my racing and flightsim games and with the software you can manipulate the speed at which the view moves and how far, for me turning my head maybe no more than 3 or 4 degrees either way will have me looking directly out the side window.....probably not even that much, if i straighten my eyes when the view is looking out the side window then my eyes are pointing close to the edge of my 27" monitor. You get used to it after a while and I quite often get caught out watching youtube videos and the like and moving my head and wondering why the ^%$##^$% the view isn't moving o_O :D

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I have a TrackIR and triples.
    Using it in flight sims is fine but I didn't like it when I tried racing.
    I must admit I don't think I spent the time to do a custom profile for racing so I might try it again.
    I did however use trackIR in the truck sims. It made looking at the mirrors, dashboard and out the door windows very easy.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I keep thinking of the impact suffered by Massa and it seems the car part that flew at him would come right through the Halo. The Halo raises up too much, for visibility I would assume, that the flying missile that almost killed Felipe would still come through the left opening.

4. Louis

Louis Registered

When start lights is just few meters ahead of you (using track ir) :D
    trackir.jpg

Goanna likes this.
  5. Louis

Louis Registered

It will never be 100% safe. look this video:

Could save some lives despite the fact is horrible

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@davehenrie Yeah, it's not about trying to stop everything (I mean, obviously that would be great if they could find a way), but having something that will help in certain identified scenarios without causing too many issues of its own. The Massa incident isn't really targeted at all; as some have said, the halo could potentially deflect an object and cause it to hit the driver. But statistically I'm sure that sort of small object is less likely than tyres or cars, and the halo can mitigate those somewhat. (there's a limit, but if a tyre or car hits hard enough to break the halo, it wouldn't be doing the driver much good without the halo either)

People say the same about Bianchi ('the halo wouldn't have helped') but about the only thing that could have helped with that impact is driving the cars remotely. Car seatbelts don't protect you from everything either (and have the potential to cause their own injuries, or even trap you in a car), but that's no reason not to use them because statistically they're doing a lot more good than harm.

7. Filip

Filip Registered