My experience with a more realistic FOV.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by green serpent, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Have you turned multiview on? If it is on, in-game fov adjustment should do nothing.

2. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

3 x 27" 144Hz 1Ms monitors, angled at 45° and 58cm from my eyes.
    Looks fine to me. Shows everything I want to see and is great immersion wise.
    In-game FOV adjustment would be a plus for some cars, especially since the seat pitch can't be adjusted in-game, which in some cars results in not being able to see either the rearview mirror or the dash instruments. I always try to mimic the exact drivers position.

3. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Fanapryde likes this.
  4. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

This has slipped my mind. Won't forget it now. Works fine, thanks.

5. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

You are100% right with fov. It's funny you mentioned the Cobra! I had the same resolts and reaction.

Was it something like this?

PS Are you a lady or is this your daughter/wife? No big deal. I wonder, sometimes, how many of us are women is all.

PPS I had posted this a few minutes earlier but pasted the wrong video. Thats why I deleted it. Sorry everyone!

6. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Hahaha no it's my girlfriend. I make her play rF2 under duress, but she's actually starting to like it/get good at it now.

Great driving, I know it's much harder than it looks. As I've said many times in the past, I find that sometimes if I am late with my corrections/correct too much, it can have a negative effect, and its almost better to not correct at all - the way I visualize it in my mind, is that the car begins to rotate and the front of the car moves inward off the racing line, and if you apply opposite lock at this point, the front tyres act as a kind of brake, and this makes the rear want to come around even more. If you miss the initial rotation, it's almost better to just keep all inputs steady and let the car go into a four wheel slide/understeer and steady itself out.

I used to be unsure as to whether this was accurate or not, but the more I tweak my setup, the more realistic things are feeling. With the wider FOV and the greater sense of spatial awareness, I am better able to apply correction at the same time the rotation occurs, and keep the center of mass of the car traveling along the racing line.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  7. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy Registered

I originally had no issue with the 24" and 1:1 FOV. But it wasn't until running a few laps of the Nordshliefe where the twister more technical sections where the trackside scenery was scanning across the screen so fast, that it made it difficult to accurately detect whether or not I was getting unwanted yaw that needed correction. Tracks like Sebring where your horizon and objects are WAY out in the distance, it's no problem.

vegaguy5555 and Korva7 like this.
  8. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Well, it's been a long time since I logged in here, and longer still since I drove rF2 (or anything else), but I might have picked the right time, with the arrival of VR possibly imminent.

I'll chime in on this thread for the moment to say: I love(d) "the big picture" back when I was racing, and wouldn't settle for anything less if I get back in the cockpit again, but I would describe what I mean as "lifesize." Not sure yet if we are on the same page or not, so...

...can someone explain what a 1:1 FOV setting is (and how to achieve it)? And is "lifesize" what you are trying to realize for yourself (or yourselves)?

CS

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  9. Jake Loewenstein

Jake Loewenstein Registered

yeah, what the heck does 1:1 mean in this case?

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  10. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

So..what have you been doing, if you don't mind me asking?

Driving other sims or games or not on a computer much?

11. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

If you were to sit in a real car take a picture and did the same, with the same car in a sim, the two pictures would match up perfectly.

12. Christopher Snow

Oh, I'm on PC's almost every day (typing to you now on a Linux/live CD box), but not any race PC's any more. Ironically I broke my last sim-racing PC when I moved it home after doing a...

...(wait for it........)

...after doing a lifesize sim-racing demonstration--hands-on-the-wheel type--at a Christmas party a few years back. It was a very popular demo using rFactor and Richard Burns Rally (rf2 had not arrived yet), but the CPU/cooler shifted during the ride home, resulting in bent pins, and that was that.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    vegaguy5555 likes this.
  13. Christopher Snow

Lifesize image then, ok. FWIW, I used a projected image (image projected overhead downward from a position above and behind my head). The aforementioned party-demo was set up using the same idea, although it was probably off by a few percentage points from true lifesize, due to time-constraints while setting up.

My own home-rig was as lifesize as I could make it, and I measured it out quite accurately then (+/- 1 degree of arc). Interesting that the original poster notes some of the real constraints too, or things that must be taken into account when you try this. Things like observing that the feet and pedals practically speaking will end up behind the monitor (which is an issue today mostly for those who want to emulate a modern F1/Formula car driving position very accurately--you either must use a projector, or you must limit the size of the monitor you will use. The projector solution is the more flexible, but it has its tradeoffs too.

THIS VIDEO shows about what I had rigged myself, and shows too how the legs fit into the whole scheme (the screen in that area is simply removed):

CS

kevib1 and Korva7 like this.
  14. Christopher Snow

About the video above: There is some distortion of the front tires, which indicates to me the image is not strictly lifesize, but it's still pretty close I do think--if it were precisely scaled the mirrors would be bigger and further apart both, as would the front tires (front track). Remco would also be sitting a bit lower down--he's currently in what I think of as "the James Hunt seating position" (James was very tall for a F1 driver, and looked downward from on high more than most would).

15. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

I would also recommend using FreeTrackNoIR with a basic web cam to allow you to look around the cockpit and see the mirrors with tighter views on smaller screens. FreeTrackNoIR tracks your head movement to control head movement within rFactor. Takes a little bit of setting up and getting used to but it now feels completely natural and I can't drive without it.

16. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I'll have to check that out. Trying to get as close to VR as possible but on a budget.

It occurred to me while watching Snow's video that I need to either raise my seat or lower my screen so my eyes are centered in the middle of the screen. Might have to cut a big hole in my LCD to achieve this...

I've always had to mess around with pitch to get the instrument panel/dash to look realistic behind the wheel. I think if I bring my line of sight up to the middle of the screen - or as close as I can to the middle (and therefore raise my steering wheel and lower the virtual seat to bring it all in line), I should be able to get a realistic view, while keeping pitch at 0°.

17. Christopher Snow

I found it most important to set the viewable horizon at my eye-level height, which I did by carefully marking my eye level on one edge of my screen (I did this on each edge independently with the image OFF, and then cross checked (with a level) to make sure the two edge registration marks were both at the same height, which they were). Once the eye level is determined, a quick trip to one of the seaside tracks (Monaco) and a bit of fiddling and tilting the projector, or adjusting the image digitally if the projector allowed it was all that was required.

I'm just one of those people who is hypersensitive to up/down, I guess....

CS

18. jeanshumake

jeanshumake Registered

Hey misc, can anyone recommend a good office chair for 10-12+ hours of use? I want to buy a good quality chair and so far, I have run through some of the cheap $150-$200 chairs

19. Louis

Louis Registered

FreetracknoIR it is the most horrible thing to use in my opinion. Most of the movement to see around racing is made by eyes movement, not head movement. Besides that, in a single screen, when you move your head to "look" right you must compensate the movement you are doing keeping your eyes on screen. I think it is the most contra-intuitive (i dont know if this word exist english but im so much outraged that i dont have time to look at google translate :D) thing.

edit: btw, i have a "crazy" theory about fov. The tools are correct. You can´t fight math but you can fight how people use it and calculating the distance to the "windows" (monitors). But trying to explain will make me loose too many neurons and i cant afford loosing more

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  20. Louis

Louis Registered

btw, the steering wheel of the op is too high (or the girl is too short or is to only play modern open wheels) and the fov is too low