Minimum/Recommended System Specs for rFactor 2

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 12, 2011.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Joe has a stack (literally, a stack) of video cards that he swaps in and out. He's done a lot of compatibility testing with various cards. There probably isn't a lot of difference between drivers (unless one of them screws up their drivers between now and the initial release of rF2). You're probably best off looking at performance charts on toms hardware as that should relate well with rF2.

2. knightyc

knightyc Registered

tim im guessing my 2 nvidia 9600 gt's in sli wont cut it for rfactor 2

3. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Tim, in rF 1 Ati was/is way behind nVidia in terms of performance (for example, HD5850 is slower than GTX 260). Is it possible for you to confirm, Ati in rF 2 finally have performance as expected?

4. BanjoMaster

BanjoMaster Registered

Pulled the trigger last week on one of the little Cryopower Gamecubes - i5 2600k with 8GB RAM and a GTX570. Not totally top of the line, but compromises were necessary and hopefully this'll handle RF2 quite nicely. The only downside is I'll have to play with an XBox pad for a while, but I reckon I should be able to wrangle a second hand G25 or something of that ilk in time. Overall, can't wait for RF2 now! ;)

Thanks for the previous guidance :cool:

5. stobe84

stobe84 Registered

Gamecube?

6. FOG>Daheee

FOG>Daheee Registered

Think you need to check your facts on that one. HD5850 owns a GTX260

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/295?vs=318

7. Marek Lesniak

Have you read my post carefully? I said - Ati sucks in rF 1 and that's the fact. That's why I'm curious if revised gfx engine in rF 2 works better with Ati.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I know people that have run rF1 with an ATi just fine so its not "fact" at all, stop getting your opinions mixed up with what you believe to be the truth...broaden your mind, open the box, walk into the field of thoughts and all that malarky ;)

9. Marek Lesniak

The fact that people are "just fine" with Ati doesn't mean, it provides a level of performance in rF 1 it should. I know that because I did a lot of tests on various cards within last few years.
    The question is, how many you did. Any at all, actually?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2011
  10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

aahh a washing machine, I'll get more sense from that!

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I thought it was a fairly widely accepted fact that ATI didn't run as well as it should in comparison to nVidia. (ie an ATI card that should be 1.5x faster might actually produce similar performance to the nVidia - both 'fine', but ATI underperforming in relative terms) (in rFactor)

12. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

The 2 ati cards i had played rf perfectly fine, my 4890 played better than my 88gtx so i wouldnt say they sucked unless its fanboyism.

Older ati cards used to suck but its now a myth.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

From doing a quick google it looks like the 4890 outperforms the 8800gtx at least 2:1 at high resolutions in various games. If it performs 1.5x better in rFactor, it's performing comparitively worse.

I don't know. Some people who have had both, or have upgraded to ATI and expected a certain boost, have suggested here and there that rFactor 'prefers' nVidia. It doesn't mean ATI will 'suck', just that it's not quite as good as it 'should' be.

Trying be a little more scientific than just "I have ATI and it's fine" or "my ATI runs faster than my nVidia did"...

14. Mee

Mee Registered

Not if you take stability in consideration.
    I bought a new GTX560Ti, lovely card that worked perfect in everything... except rFactor. All was well in practice sessions, but in race sessions it just randomly crashed. Sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after an hour. Did all kinds of tests, but couldn't get it to not crash.
    So I sold the Nvidia and bought an Ati 6950: not a single crash since I've got it...

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

And your 1 example proves what? Your first card was dodgy? :)

Stability is another factor in choosing a card, but we've just been talking about performance. For example, I don't think anyone's got to the bottom of the 'black screen' nVidia problem in rFactor, we probably all have our own tricks and superstitions in order to reduce them, but going ATI seems to be the best cure. All I'm saying is I've heard/read a lot that ATI underperforms in rFactor (compared to other games, in comparison to nVidia cards). Really not interested in nVidia vs ATI wars...

16. Mee

Mee Registered

Dodgy in rFactor, yes. Heard from a friend I wasn't the only one with that problem, the other guy also sold his Nvidia because of rFactor crashes, no problems wth Ati.
    It's a shame, because I'd definitely pick Nvidia over Ati if I have the choice...

And btw, I agree with Nvidia > Ati in performance in rFactor, my GTX560Ti performed better than my 6950...

17. Marek Lesniak

Even GTX 460 1GB outperforms 6950 (after mod to 6970) in rFactor 1 :)

And yes, 4890 probably was slighly better than 8800 GTX (don't have my test results in my hands atm, though, to be more precise) but as Lazza said, in normal conditions 4890 was like over 2 times faster than 8800 GTX, so...

As for issues with nVidia... I noticed it depend on drives in relation to particular card serie. Ati is also not without issues - you might get slight stuttering on some tracks, even with fps levels like 80-100fps (confirmed on HD58xx and 69xx) but I couldn't figure out what's the reason for that.

18. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

Thats strange. With my GTX 560 Ti, i have various problems and crashes with some other games. But never with rFactor. No matter what driver i used.

19. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Scientific lol, i prefer to go on first hand experience, i have never had any issues with ati cards playing rfactor, i can also say i have never had any issues with any nvidia cards either, both the 88gtx and 4890 were 100 plus fps easy with aa and as forced x16 1920 x 1200 on a 28 inch monitor, i'm back to a 480gtx now but that was due to the best card for price and its over kill for rfactor with 300 plus fps.

Have you used an ati card that you seem to think they are 'not quite as good as it should be' seems like you could have had a dodgy card.

It all comes down to what the best deal is at the time your looking for a card, i wouldnt say dont buy either brand both cards are good these days.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I have to agree with Hutch. The two brands go back and forth with who is the current king. You just have to do your research at the time of purchase to see which card gives the best bang for the buck in your price range. I went from an 8800GT to an HD5770 and the 5770 looks a little better and has been more stable and runs drastically cooler then the 8800GT did. rFactor would CTD once every 3 months on the 8800GT but rF hasn't CTDed a single time yet on the 5770. I run rFactor about 3 - 5 hours a week. rFactor is all that is installed on my gaming rig. I am not a gamer at all.

When it comes time to upgrade again I will go with the best bang again. I am not the fanboy type that buys ATI just because it is ATI. The 5770 is my first ATI sense something like 1993. Same goes for hard drives. Some people love Seagate, some people love WDC. They all suck from time to time. They all crash from time to time. They all have their known bad runs. Just do your research and don't be a fanboy.