Latest Roadmap Update - March 2017!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 17, 2017.

1. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Because it makes no fcking difference!
    Discussed here to death some time ago, and every now and then a discussion about miles and sound-engines pop up.
    Nothing to do here, other then using proper, REAL samples.
    What S397 needs is a sound engineer, who does nothing but record and edit sounds of REAL cars!

vegaguy5555, sg333 and stonec like this.
  2. stonec

stonec Registered

Which release? I thought rF2 was released four years ago. S397 have outlined their plans about moving to DX11, a new UI and adding VR support. That's it. Nowhere was there any promises regarding rain overhauls being done for Q1 2017. When over half of the cars in rF2 don't have proper rain tires, I don't know how many really drive with rain at moment anyway. The spray is already related to speed btw.

bwana likes this.
  3. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Oh, sorry, I should have missed it!I am relatively new to some topics...

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

release of DX11 update... I thought it was clear enough, apologizes

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Sorry to correct you here: No, it is not.

6. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

As far as I know S397 will tell us what is happening with rain soon...

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yeah at least on my PC the spray is the same be it on the minimum speed it appears or 500kph

Guimengo and peterchen like this.
  8. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

I disagree, I've seen nothing in MSS that allows us to apply filters to various samples, nor is there the influence of engine load on on throttle/off throttle samples. I'm not sure those things are even available in MSS. If they are, we are going to need help on the backend.

You are correct that great improvement in sound will come from the use of better samples. It might be the case that the sound engine is good enough for the user base. We as modders will just need to work a bit more to extract results.

9. Emery

Emery Registered

R3E still uses Miles. They added additional triggers for some of their special effects and work really hard to make their samples the best quality possible. I've no idea if they're using recordings or synthesizing the samples.

We've seen AC totally muff their use of fmod because they just use crappy samples. The transition was painful for modders, too, and it seems every update made to AC manages to break sound for mods. I don't know if that's intrinsic to fmod or if its due to decisions made by Kunos.

One of the conundrums when writing sound for sims is still the hardware limit of maximum voices... if the player vehicle is making squeaks, rattles, transmission whine, wind noise, engine noise (which can be up to 4 simultaneous sounds as they blend in Miles), tire noise, & doing the intermittent spotter/horns/loudspeakers in stereo (or surround sound!), that's 15 voices used. Doesn't take long for non-player vehicle engine noise to eat up the remaining ~110 voices. 30 vehicles on grid is likely more than our hardware will support, though one could argue that when so many voices are running at once they could be blended into a single voice to leave more detail available for the nearest sound sources.

Codecz, MarcG and stonec like this.
  10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I don´t know really, but I could imagine that something like this is possible. At least seperate samples for off/on-load shouldn´t be a problem.
    Otherwise fmod is deep shit. But I doubt.

11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Good question whre the limit is. At least it isn´t the sound engine.

12. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Thanks 397 staff. The improvements seem to be very relevant.

Personally I'd beg for better rain effects (currently there's almost nothing in terms of visuals informing you the status of rain condition) and better visual damage. It's frustrating to violently crash and the car still looks like brand new, realism breaker.

2ndLastJedi, F1Aussie and Guimengo like this.
  13. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

500 kph? :p where can I download this dragster mod? ;)

14. knackko

knackko Registered

Lots of replies here, maybe my question will be redundant with another but with the update to DX11 of rFactor2, will DX9 still be choosable?

15. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

AFAIK mostly will be compatible downward.

16. stonec

stonec Registered

You can always use the betas tab from Steam if you wish to go back to any older build, this is the option most leagues use if the update hasn't been determined stable.

17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I am not sure, whether it is related to speed. I think it is related to the amount of water on the track. Anyway, just thinking that weather is a feature in rF2 that should help marketing, it would be a no-brainer to give it some refinement. As it stands now, it's rather WIP. It doesn't need to be as sexy looking as PCars, but a basic implementation would be very good. Even a system similar to Race 07 would be good enough and a big improvement allready. DX11 allows for some better and more efficient working particle systems iirc, so there is no better moment to give this feature some love than with the implementation of DX11 :)

18. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

The current sound-engine can handle the interior sounds pretty well but, it's quite limited in replay sound effects. Replay sounds are not high-priority for most but, I'd say AC replay sounds are now better than RR now.

Sadly, the sound-engine that can replicate RL racing sounds hasn't been created to date. I think the best in the business is CodeMasters (Dirt Rally) but, that's a unique audio application with a limited number of cars.

Sim-Racing needs a specialized sound-card / sound-engine that can leverage the right information and samples to be processed efficiently with the appropriate effects built in; there needs to be a creative way to implement things such as engine-braking effects, drive-train flex and more dynamic environmental reflection to reach beyond current audio limitations imo.

19. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I installed R3E again but can't get my wheel to work good enough to go for a drive. I have to confess that I haven't spent much time trying. Too distracted with rF2 at the moment.

I have never been this immersed in a sim before as I have been with rF2 lately, even without VR!

I never used my triples so much.:)

20. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I think the sound in rF2 is the best I've experienced anywhere in a sim with my 5.1 surround sound system. 12" subwoofer right behind my seat in my three seater cockpit.

I love blasting it with the AC Cobra!! :)