[REL] Keimola Motor Stadium Conversion to Rfactor 2

Discussion in 'Locations' started by EmperorOfFinland, Jan 27, 2021.

1. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

interesting. i wonder how that became a thing on the PNG textures. the PNGs should not so how should i fix this? the subdivision is its own thing really. as i did bring it down so how i weld them together? Albeit i think the thing would be fixed if i import the welded surface in. but i still need to give it some bumps for sure.

I deleted thouse png files and the track loads just like normal now. so they are not even needed.
    Most of the material formup is inherited basically from GPL on the conversions.

So the tires are seperate as they are supposed to be detachable so if you collide they would move from the road as i got complaints that the tires would be like hitting a concrete wall. so now they work like cones basically if you detach them

I think if i weld the vertices together i can get the verticecount down considerably and that would improve the tracks performance alot on its own if a single object will improve it considerably. cutting 40k faces and 100k verts will make it run considerably better.

Johnny Speed, makan and pkelly like this.
  2. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

??????

Yes but it doesn´t have to stay like that. Those tree walls for example, they have a triplicated material so just removing the extras and merging the entire tree wall into one object could probably cut down a good number of draw calls.
    A bit of speculation, but maybe having a tree wall loading 3 textures (even if its the same texture) at a time would cause it to also cast 3 shadows at the same time?

I guess it would; this is more speculation but having 4 times the verts on the surfaces, would that mean the game is doing 4x the calculaitons on the tire-surface interaction? if so then it will help a lot. But maybe the extra verts are also being made during export, it´s worth checking if that´s the case too.

3. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

I dont know if it harms or harms much but many objects have the shadowcaster set to dynamic in the scn-file.
    There are also set many objects unnecessarily to CollTarget=True although they are for example behind a fence and could therefore not be touched by the cars.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So you've not seen my driving? :D

Some objects set as CollTargets shouldn't impact too much, as the game can quickly rule out a potential collision just based on distance. But yeah, if there's really no possibility of getting to them (or getting back from near them, so no one will bother interacting in a normal sense) it's probably fair to take them off.

vava74 likes this.
  5. EmperorOfFinland

Yeah that would work probably. i mean the assets are from GPL, RACE07 and RF1 to begin with. The main issue is that i have no idea how to remove the trees from the triplication or what you did to reduce the vertice count down. as the verticecount reduction should work quite well. as the tracksurface is the most heaviest part of the track anyways.

6. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

Right, to remove a material select it and remove it with the "-" button
    mat.PNG

To weld the verts select your objects, go to edit mode and press m to merge by distance, if your scene is in real world scale then set the weld distance to 0.01m

7. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i added some bumps to the roadsurface. So the next task should be improving the performance. i did the vertice merge on the main roadsurface as its the most heaviest part of the track to begin with. other parts are of lower verticecount to begin with. now i have ran similar surfacedensities on the nords conversion and it does not suffer from similar performance loss.

The main problem is if i verticemerge the other objects too it basically ruins them.
    reducing shadows barely improves fps on this computer. even if i max out the shadows and keep it as is. so its not the shadows.
    I would have to billboard the trees but they would have to be individual for that.

Basically the game caps at 110fps give or take at max