[REL] Keimola Motor Stadium Conversion to Rfactor 2

Discussion in 'Locations' started by EmperorOfFinland, Jan 27, 2021.

1. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

So basically if i figure this out i can also do the same IBL/PBR shaders for keimola and give the IBL/PBR upgrade to it too.

2. redapg

redapg Registered

racegroove.jpg Is your Texture looking like this?

3. EmperorOfFinland

its looking like that
    its a texture from the loch moddev track albeit its green and red With normal groove texture.png

And this is if i input it to the track if its orientated like that

4. EmperorOfFinland

If i rotate it 90degrees its like this Rotate 90.png

5. EmperorOfFinland

if i had to throw a guess its taking its UV-A from the existing texture but this also means i probably have to rotate the other UV-Map aswell.

6. redapg

redapg Registered

@EmperorOfFinland As said, i'm no Track Modder, but that looks like a Mapping Channel Problem, because the Groove shouldn't be permanently visible in that Way.
    Did you map the different Textures to the different Channels, like it was said on the linked S397 Page?

7. EmperorOfFinland

The groove is not permamently visible per said the groove texture itself is rotated 90 degrees on the map what means its not correct when it gets applied ie the lines you see on the side are sideways instead of going the same way as the road They should go to the same way as the road itself. and i cant figure out why

8. EmperorOfFinland

The very problem is that there is no other UV map levels mapped for the textures as its a conversion from older version and this is the problem with keimola, they basically have 1 UV-map on them

9. redapg

redapg Registered

@EmperorOfFinland Yes, it really looks strange.
    Did you follow these Instructions about how to map the Race Groove?

EDIT Do you use 3DSMax?

Mauro likes this.
  10. EmperorOfFinland

i dont use 3dmax i use blender, as i cant afford 3dsmax as im unemployed i barely scrape on to begin with.

11. EmperorOfFinland

Problem is that i lack some of the programs to do this properly as i cant afford them. paying 220€ per month when i actually get 100€ extra per month is a tough job to justify especially as i dont get paid for doing the trackmods i do it for my own fun.

12. redapg

redapg Registered

I don't know Blender, but can't you map different Channels with it, that you can do what is written on the Page that i have linked in Post #129?

13. EmperorOfFinland

well i dont know how to do that either on it as i have not used it enough and the tutorials for doing that on it are not easy to find per said as like in general nobody really knows they say oh this works but when i go to do it myself it does not work. like adding UV maps on blender.

IE the button youre supposed to add them with does not work. Classic

14. redapg

redapg Registered

@EmperorOfFinland As said, i don't know Blender, but if that, what is shown in THIS Video, has to be done to create different UV Channels, it really looks VERY complicated.

Mauro likes this.
  15. EmperorOfFinland

I know Svictor knows his way around the Blender on stuff like this pretty well though. anyways, the real road atleast works for now so the last thing to figure out is to probably remap it.

16. redapg

redapg Registered

Yes, it seems so.
    I wish you good Luck with it. :)

17. EmperorOfFinland

Keimola New mesh.png I have decided to remake the surface for keimola as its too small subdivision and too heavy performancewise as a result. especially in VR

I have done 4 out of 62 as of now and i will continue doing it. i will merge the parts of the track into a single road so its easier to manage it and i can eliminate some of the things

Instead of subdividing it by 7-8 times i subdivided it 2 times and that should reduce the drawcalls considerably. I will also probably upscale the textures with AI on some of the lower quality textures and do other optimisations around the track.

jimagn, svictor, pascom and 3 others like this.
  18. svictor

svictor Registered

You can use 3dsimed to "create" extra channel, just open material panel, do:
    scale UV > Scale/Offset UV channel 2 (which matches UV-C I think, same for other channel), then change 0.000 value to 1.000 for Scale U & Scale V, and save the file. Now UV-C should be usable in material editor.

Corti and Mauro like this.
  19. EmperorOfFinland

Interesting so that would work that way. I will take a look on it on the coming week. Thanks for helping though :D

svictor likes this.
  20. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i have started the mesh from old backup that i had, i will reduce the amount of polygons on it with using 0.5-1.5m squares on the road. im at 18 out of 62 at this moment on it, at this speed i should have it ready by next weekend, i will also try to ai upscale some textures

jimagn, Corti and Mauro like this.