Karts 0.991 and Quebec SuperKarts 1.07 track available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Also it remains to be seen how many of us have been able to push real Karts to the limit.
    The nice thing about this mod is that possibly everyone of us have driven real Karts and maybe that's also one of the reasons its so popular, so many things we actually recognize and relate to (as apposed to most other mods)

I've been Karting on occasion when I was a bit younger, well before I stepped into simracing, and a few times in recent years.
    Once a tournament with a large group of friends rented the track and Karts and I remember how cocky I was because I was a simracer and the rest where all noobs. but some of them noobs where faster then me lol.
    Turned out I was too overwhelmed with the forces, completely forgetting to keep my cool and focus on lines and how the Kart reacted.
    Started to implement what I knew and within no time I was on the top of the table but I was far off any track records needless to say.

I never was able to push to the max though, that would probably taken a whole week of intense practise but in simracing we get to do just that and perhaps experience things that we never felt in real Karts as many of us hardly reached limits.

inb4 i'm a professional :p

2. pitkin

pitkin Registered

This is the first mod that's kept me hooked on RF2. I've done hundreds of laps this weekend and my arms are aching so I've stopped to types this.
    I've done a small amount of real world karting like many others here, and I feel this is really close to what I remember. I think it feels twitchier than the karts I owned fifteen years ago but it really does feel close to reality for me.
    I hope one day someone will make a Twin engined four stroke Pro kart for this sim. It was the first kart I owned before going to 125 two stroke. The Pro kart was much slower but the rear end felt so planted in comparison and was a lot easier to drive.
    I big thank you for this, I can't afford to run karts any more but ISI have given me the next best thing. I think if I had an Occulus Rift I'd truly believe I was there again.

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

4. AdrianF1

AdrianF1 Registered

Sorry if someone has already said that, but I think that the pit limit should be faster...

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

At my local kart track they allow only 5 mph in the pits.

6. Twista

Twista Registered

I'm quite easily beating the AI at 110% , I'm averaging mid 40 lap times. I don't think assists should help consistent driving, consistent driving should help with that by itself. :p

I was a 3 time local club champion, raced nationally, as well as club champion in a few other places, so that probably helps with it. All the same principles carry over, but nothing can bring back the seat of the pants feeling that you get in reality. I think if I had that I'd be able to shave another few seconds off.

@ woodee, those karts at Buckmore will be quite a bit heavier than proper karts. They'll probably carry more fuel, and their tires won't be so well taken care of as a proper kart. They might have rubber track rods too instead of metal ones, and that changes the way the steering feels quite a lot in my opinion. But again, same principles of driving will carry over. Being smooth and carrying your speed is the most important thing. Also, if they're using Honda engines they'll be 4 strokes instead of the Rotax 2 stroke ISI have modelled.

7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Ah right thanks for the info... I obviously have never stepped in a racing machine, just the "arrive and drive" karts at 2 local circuits. As i'd imagine with all the extra faring and parts not being too lightweight they would differ quite dramatically in weight. But the same driving principles would apply to both.

I am liking the sound of the 2 stroke engines rumbling away behind me :)

9. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

I have quite similar thoughts about this issue with karts but starting to believe it's mainly because of input lag. I mean even though our systems have very low input lag, 120 Hz refresh rate and LightBoost 2D hacks but it may still not be good enough compared to real-life because like you said karts have these super quick dynamics (unlike any other vehicle in rF2) so the input lag effect should feel amplified. Of course tire contact patch model may not be fully finished yet (could it ever be?) so I believe it probably has some role in this issue too and who knows maybe could explain your experiences with rF1 or other cars together with input lag effect.

But don't get me wrong - I love ISI karts! These tiny beasts are freaking awesome! So annoyingly impossible to put a perfect lap but at the same time so much fun trying to. :) Huge sensation of speed and VERY believable vehicle dynamics (at least to my limited experience with real-life karts). This sim is soooo good even with it's imperfections but hey that's life - you can't have everything. Anyways one helluva happy customer here taking of his hat and making a deep bow.

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

11. Twista

Twista Registered

Where did you get the helmet and suit templates? I'd love to add my own helmet to the sim.

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Regarding real road, yes, I think so. Everyone having this issue should just temporarily change their setting to green track and no build-up to see the difference.

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

There are topics on this forum, somewhere, to download them. I had to search around but they're together :).

14. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

15. Twista

Twista Registered

Not everyone drives hunched up, when I got out of cadet class and into junior classes I started sitting really rigid in the kart, not sure why. I think the main problem is that the driver is just a bit too tall, especially compared to the seat.

16. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I even think it might even cost you if you're driving hunched up (had to google translate that part ;) ). All it does is making sure that you get less of your back against the seat, so your body has a smaller contact patch with the kart, which reduces (IMO) the feeling for the kart. You want to be one with the kart as much as possible. Even if you feel something just 0.001 quicker it will help, because if you correct earlier, the kart won't be as much out of shape, so you have to correct less.

Lot's of people on this forum have talked about the 'Seat of Pants' thing, so I think that this makes sense a bit, doesn't it??? :p For me, when karting, it is also how I drive, really resting my back against the back of the seat. And besides the point above, I find it a more relaxed/comfortable position, thus making it easier to concentrate.

17. Twista

Twista Registered

I think it's personal preference more than anything else. As I started driving bigger, more powerful karts, I found myself stiffening up my shoulders. You can actually see a pretty big difference in photos of me in terms of how I sit in a kart between cadets and junior TKM. It's similar to tucking on straights, it's sort of a negligible gain, but if it makes you feel faster, you do it anyway.
    The bulk of my racing time was in cadets, maybe in the higher classes it's a far bigger deal.

In other news, I added my helmet. I'm super happy with it. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I dont know...

I just did some testing with the old classic open wheeler F3 doing slides coming out of the final turn at Monaco, and catching the initial slide is just fine but then the "return to centre" part is just way overly snappy. Even in the replay it just looks way too overly aggresive and "off". It looks like instead of the rear of the car being returned to centre, instead, the front of the car simlply just wants to snap steer to the other direction. It's almost as if the rotation axis point is not happening from the rear, but from the front. I've always felt this "front axis rotation point" in ISI based engine sims, especially the bigger your oversteer moment is. It feels more as if the front of the car is just simply turning sharply and the momentum along with it (with some rear slip), rather than the rear end trying to swing around while most of the vehicles momentum is still continuing to go forward. It makes the car look like it's doing a very sharp turn rather than a rear powerslide.

Overall I think RF2 has the best dynamics and is my #1 sim (even though I play and enjoy more than 1), however I still feel like this is one of ISI's main physics issues (like I said thouhg, overall I still think it's the best).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I concur with this analysis. It's the only "flaw" in rF2 physics that I can detect consistently across all vehicles, including cars that are mods based on ISI vehicles. And it's really the only flaw at all if I think about it.

I have never been sure if it's the pivot issue, or just a systemic lack of grip or something at the rear of the cars. Your explanation is a better articulation than I have been able to come up with ;)

20. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Thankyou ISI, These are the best fun i've had in along while, Top job...