JM Virtual Tracks Data Search

Discussion in 'Locations' started by cyruscloud, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

Providing help in a public thread benefits the entire community regardless of whether the end result is for payware or not. Don't conflate the two issues.

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Payware is a way of gathering funds. It doesn't necessarily mean the only way forward for top notch material. Passion for that content still is above all else, and quite a few people do things of AAA quality for free. Some of them to have that content in a game they play, some to build their portfolio, and some for both. The good stuff will always get recognition and who knows how many hundreds some people make off donations alone.

@Cyrus:
    I know exactly what you mean, that's why I was mentioning the sharing of things that could be found with online searches, though some would take more in-depth searching. It is up to you, of course. It's a shame pCARS still is on shady grounds about modding because their track quality and variety is absurdly good.

3. SpeedLab

SpeedLab Registered

@ P.S.R. I'm not sure exactly what it is you have against Mario. To be clear, I don't personally even know the person. I rarely make posts especially with people who are generally complaining and being negative, but in this case I feel like your words are not only uncalled for but extremely inappropriate.

Essington Park may not be fully one of his circuits but he did help to the point of him being mentioned in the credits on the loading screen as shown below.

As far as Leinz being finished or not, I don't really know. It certainly is a massive track and an absolute joy to drive around in its current state. Even if there is nothing done to it in the future, I can't imagine very many people would not be happy to drive or race the circuit in its current condition, as it looks fantastic.

As for the Mountain Circuit you are correct it doesn't load. I imagine this has something to do with the fact that rFactor2 is a developing product and there is something about the new builds that this track is not compatible with. I certainly hope that he does whatever it needs to be playable again because it also is a very unique and fun circuit to drive especially in low horsepower vehicles.

I don't know you either P.S.R. so this certainly isn't meant to be a personal attack. But I don't think people like Mario are going to be motivated very much to finish anything or add more with the type of attitude you have displayed in some of your posts.

People have feelings and if I was Mario I would be very put off by what you have said. As a member of the community I am very appreciative of the "limited" contributions he has made to the community and I certainly don't want to see him stop or go away because he feels not appreciated.

Generally I think people should be very appreciative for people who attempt to make this game or community better especially anything they contribute for free.

If something should be done better or differently it would be nice if people had the consideration to use a constructive articulation and tone. It takes a considerable amount of time for anybody to do anything of quality in relation to modding or adding on to the existing game. With the way many people respond and treat people who put their hard work and passion into trying to add on to the community I'm surprised we don't turn more people off.

Are there any great contributions you have made to the rFactor2 game or the community in general for you to be using such an accusational and condescending tone?

View attachment 15157

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Perfectly put man, oh what a reply. :)

5. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Please, :rolleyes: this thread isn't about helping anyone other than the OP.

6. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Speedlab, you are responding to a post of mine which was a response to someone else's post which was an inaccurate response to a post of mine which was a response to someone else's post. Which one do you have a problem with?

7. Emery

Emery Registered

Okay, I'll delete my response and submit it in a PM. :rolleyes: x2

8. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Oulton Park.... hmm... that is one I have seen requested a lot and one I have wanted to do for quite a while. Just so happens I dug up some information today that may just get me going on it. Sometimes people tracks their walks or bike rides and this usually has very tight points and includes elevation. Two such references, here http://www.mapmyride.com/sc/victoria-english-river/oulton-park-spring-duathlon-route-16328665 and here http://www.mapmywalk.com/gb/tarporley-eng/oulton-park-circuit-route-81740237 . I've used this kind of information once before, I had vehicle gps but it was a bit scattered making it hard to use, I found a bike ride for that track and it met a lot of the same points the vehicle gps did it also made a lot more sense and was more detailed and worked out really well. Good thing about these samples is when two different samples have continuity, the same locations on both samples are showing the same elevation, the one for a walk looks rough from above since it was someone walking and likely with other people their lap wasn't smooth. However the points are really tight for elevation and seem quite accurate. With this, satellite imagery and some videos I can get going on it but I will need to search out whatever other references I can find as well.

So... if people really want this I can get going on it, it will be very difficult but its doable, I'd realistically only expect to get the road done by new years with the holidays involved and all.

9. Minibull

Minibull Member

Well I'm right behind you with my wallet man, that's all I can provide as support sadly. That and testing but that's a loong way off it this goes ahead.

In the end, you choose your projects man, it's your time and your hard work so you be the boss. What I do know is that your Gingerman track is a hoot with the Skippy XD, good luck with your work

10. Emery

Emery Registered

Oulton is a definitely a desireable track!

11. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I've contacted a friend of mine. He drives in a British championship. He uses a little device called an AIM solo.

It plots his line on the circuit for us to analyse it.

We're checking the suitability of the data (if it has altitude/elevations) but if it has what I think you need, he has data for Brands GP, Cadwell Park, Lydden Hill and snetterton.

12. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

That's the spirit Rich.

13. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Oulton's one track I'd put down money for. Hope something can come of this.

14. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

What an absolutely wonderful combination of words, Oulton and Park. Exciting!

15. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

OK, this is what I could provide you with for the previously mentioned circuits;

gps longitudial accel, gps lateral accel, gps heading, gps slope, gps gyro.. and gps altitude...

Let me know if interested.

16. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

gps altitude would probably be the key componet, contact me through pm if you want and let me know what format the data is in so I can be sure I can make use of it.

17. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Will do mate. I'll get everything together and pm you when I have

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

What about having a look at GP4 tracks? They did have that procedure with GPS. And you'd be taking that info, nothing else, from a dead company with a dead game for research.

(I want Suzuka, Hockenhein, and Melbourne from there :p)

19. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Good luck mate and I will support you by purchasing all your tracks! Rf2 needs more quality stuff, because I'm tired from all these ugly converted tracks!

20. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Just an update, I had every intention to go to work on Oulton Park, actually have been working on it. However looking over sales of Gingerman has caused me to take a bit of a different course of action and I am likely going to need to do something else instead to try to spur sells. I plan to continue with it but possibly at a slower pace while focus goes on what is more likely to sells, along with other tracks I want to do that are likely not to sell well.