JM Virtual Tracks Data Search

Discussion in 'Locations' started by cyruscloud, Dec 11, 2014.

1. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Howdy,

Now that Gingerman Raceway has released and is selling fair and the interim patch is done I am moving on to the next project. I am basically searching for useable data that can be brought into 3ds max or general elevation information. LiDar data in a useable/mesh form would be awesome, gps that is fairly accurate and not all over the place would be a help. Survey sheets documenting elevations with a decent spacing of samples is good too. Have a favorite track you want to see done and know where to find good data, let me know. Started a project years ago with good data but likely to never finish maybe I can use that data to make that track. I am posting this thread in here due to all my other threads being in this section even though this topic doesn't entirely fit here it may very well tie into my future projects. I have some tracks in mind already and some data to work with but I am open to any information, since I like to produce the most accurate tracks I can my choices of future tracks may depend somewhat on how much information I have. Only exception to all this right now is street circuits, even though I have built many in the past I am not fond of building them and the work load is way too high for one person so for the time being those aren't on my list.

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Try to contact Mario Morias. He had started Road Atlanta track with Lidar data and never finished it!
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7389-Braselton-(Road-Atlanta)-LIDAR?highlight=
    You would make a lot of many if you manage to do this great track.

3. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Yep and what a waste if, like all his projects that I am aware of, he never finishes this one either. One can only hope other modders aren't avoiding these tracks thinking that Mario is honoring his claim on them.

4. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

As im aware, lienz, Essington, etc are released tracks. Also, Mario released a bunch of things to make every modder work easier. http://www.mj-multimedia.net/
    Mario is far from a convert-in-2-days-modder so projects are expected to last in time.....as almost every project posted in this fórum that are not s%$&-conversions or crap........

5. SpeedLab

SpeedLab Registered

+1 Mario's work is top notch and free. Not to metion as said above, he has done many things to help other modders convert work to rF2!:)

6. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Sorry I don't have any CAD or Lidar data to provide. I'm a season pass holder for Road America, but there are a few projects going on for that one (One for sure in AC, another rF2 one that hasn't had progress in a while). There is a conversion of the track, but a scratch made, your standards track is needed :) . If you were going to create that I can get you info about the TSOs and other information from memory or for sure when the season starts back up in May where I can get specific pics.

If Road America isn't on your list, I would love to see Thunderhill. Fits the "club" track feel of your Gingerman. The 25 hour race was last weekend but a lot of rF2 content would feel at home on that track.

7. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

8. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Essington is not one of his tracks, Lienz is unfinished and no idea what "etc." is unless you mean Mountain Forest which won't even load. No idea what commercial tools have to do with what I said, other than to make it less understandable why he doesn't finish anything. I would stay away from such tools.

Also it's comical that people think anything will ever materialize from Mario for free which is another thing he allows people to believe without correcting them when they clearly believe something like Laguna (another WIP LOL) will be free when he has already said he will be charging for it but let's them believe it will be free and thank him and hail him as a hero lololol.

Anyway back on topic please. I only responded because responses to my post were inaccurate.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  9. Emery

Emery Registered

10. Emery

Emery Registered

And now, back to the thread's topic...

Free LIDAR data can be downloaded from NOAA's site: http://www.coast.noaa.gov/dataviewer/# Coverage is mainly coastal/riverplains.

USGS Earth Explorer has free DEM data covering the nation and some LIDAR, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  11. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

I'm not sure why anyone would give you the resources to make more payware tracks. It's your business, do your own legwork.

12. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

People have tracks they want to see, some people come across resources all the time but don't have the knowledge how to use them. You have no idea how many times in the last 10 years I've had to scrape the internet for weeks or months for any little information I could find to help producing a track even when working for companies. This may appear like a call out for help because I'm lazy, but the very idea of being called lazy after what I have done over the years is baffling to me, you know nothing about me. I am just offering people a chance to help in which many like to on their own accord anyway, last I checked asking for help from your fellow man wasn't frowned upon. Also who is to say I wouldn't return someones help with a reward of some kind, I'm not going to state any specific as then people would be expectant of it whether they really helped or not. End of the day people have asked for high quality tracks, to do so you information is needed lots of it, if someone has the time and is willing to help it is only going to benefit the community as a whole in the long run. I'm not here expecting anything, I can and will still make tracks even if my plea died on deaf ears, but you know being the southerner that I am; I sure would appreciate the help.

13. Emery

Emery Registered

Do you feel the same way about Tim asking for information about stock car rules in the sticky thread? After all, rF2 is payware, shouldn't ISI do their own legwork, too?

14. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

@cyrus:

I have access to pCARS forum so depending on the track I can have a look there and see where people have found resources to help on development (therefore not taking anything that could not be found online). I contributed myself to Monza, Monaco, and Spa, having been to those three. But unfortunately most info is usually limited to pictures, videos, and some other more obscure to find relevant information.

15. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Much appreciated, the first link I wasn't getting any hits for data on tracks I've been looking at but I did get some with the second link. I've never had the chance to use DEM data before so I will have to learn a bit on making the best use of it and its shortcomings.

16. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

I actually have access to that forum too but I haven't looked there for information yet. I feel a bit weird about that one, people are posting information there for pCARS so using it as a resource for what would be a competitive project seems wrong. I'm kind of divided on the subject on one side there is likely links to websites which in no way pertain to Pcars specifically that people are sharing. On the other hand since those links are being collected there to help pCARS not to help others then it starts crossing the line a bit.

17. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

I would disagree with the statement that payware content benefits the entire community.

18. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

And I would most definitely disagree with your disagreement. If we are to have top quality third party content, payware is the way forward. The complexity and work effort needed to make top quality content these days is enormous. It makes so much sense that modders start charging for their work. And we should support it fully. Stop living in the past.

19. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I would crawl around on my hands and knees with tracing paper and charcoal if it meant getting the right data to get a decent Oulton Park (my local circuit when I was home)
    I am sure the next track from JM will be right up there and worth every penny, if his first track is anything to go by. By that I mean 1st track in rf2.

20. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I love those three words... Rouen, Oulton and Park.