Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Again I'm no expert so wouldn't know just threw that idea out there, if indeed an advanced wizard isn't needed then that's great :)

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Car-specific preferences can only be determined while driving. And they are just preferences.
    The idea of wizard is to help users get correct configuration of the most fundamental FFB functionality for their steering wheels.

Ok, but I think the idea doesn't require much more discussion at this point. And not in this thread :)
    It has already been noted by ISI staff - that's enough for now. It's not like they're going to abandon what they're currently doing, but at least the thought will stick around.

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Wheel/hardware-specific settings are about 100 x more important than car-specific. I spent/spend a lot of time tweaking and fiddling with the basic settings for my CSW and have never once had to adjust car-specific FFB. They are all left at 1.0/defaults, as expected, since they are carefully calibrated by ISI or the modder. You should only have to tweak per car if you have some strange hardware deficiency that can't replicate the qualities of a certain vehicle class, or, you just have a personal preference for softer or harder FFB (than is optimally realistic) for certain vehicles but not others. I can't imagine myself why anyone would want that, but to each his own. ISI allows this to be adjusted per car, so good for them (and you). For me it's like using mixers for listening to music. The creator of the music mixed it the way they thought was optimal; why would I want my own much less sophisticated audio equipment to re-mix it in a different way that isn't what was intended? Only if I absolutely had to have extra bass or extra mid-range or whatever compared to what it's supposed to sound like would that make any sense.

If you don't like the FFB of a particular mod or ISI car, it may just be too bad that it has power steering or is FWD or has some other quality that makes it not as nice as another vehicle. Trying to work around that with individual adjustments will be a hopeless cause because there will just never be other than very basic strength sliders and so on per vehicle. Talk about a nightmare of settings--can you imagine of we could do all the controller.ini tweaks per car?? It may be the FFB is bad on a particular car, but I don't know any other way than to get the author to fix it that makes any sense. At the end, if it still isn't to your liking, then don't use that car. If you start fiddling too much, odds are you'll screw-up the FFB on some other vehicles that you might have liked if things were left alone.

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

+1

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I guess you haven't read this?

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...s-in-rFactor-2-The-key-to-being-in-the-Zone-D

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

That's the thing, with default values all-around, they shouldn't. We try to test with pretty much the same feedback and try to get feedback from drivers and the sim itself based on them. The requirement of different values appears to be 100% down to the personal taste of the user.

7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Unfortunately at default some cars offer FFB clipping.

8. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Reduce clipping and people start to complain, FFB is very weak and they want stronger... can't satisfy everyone :)

9. Jamie Shorting

Changing the ffb multiplier is different than going into the .plr file though* and I think that's what Marc was referring to.

*Edit: Changing too much in the .plr file.

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The default being correct is most important, people can crank up their FFB multiplier as they wish ;).

11. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Yes, and they can also lower it, increasing dynamics by that. So it gives the same effect as setting higher max FFB torque in HDV.

12. Johan Östman

Johan Östman Registered

Jeremy Miller ‏@jeremymmiller · 1 tim
    Build 660 looked really good hopefully a new update very soon

Nice......!!

13. Jamie Shorting

14. melg

melg Registered

Leave it till after easter. Any problems, such as the greyed out join button in build 394, may stop us using the sim over the extended bank holiday weekend.

15. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Stick with the old build then, I'll enjoy the new one.

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

No thank you. I'll let the programmers decide if it's ready for pre-Easter release or not. I think they're well aware of the problem with 394 and won't be interested in repeating that.

17. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

If we wait few days, on the Easter day it could be build 666 :p

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

HAHAHA! A blasphemic build? HAHAHAHA!

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

hmmm I was just about to embark on an Epic 5hour Enduro with the AI (split over several days), might await the next Build now though!

20. Jamie Shorting

Can you tell me how to do that? I'm dense and need it to be step by step.