Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Domi

Domi Registered

If I remember correctly, Poznan has mip lod bias set to 0 in most materials, at least the road.

2. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Short summary simplified for end users: ALT M, or whatever key the M is mapped on your keyboard (for me as a French "azerty" keyboard it's ALT ?) smooth a lot white lines on the tracks.

For me (each configuration are different off course) It allowed me to simplify a lot my antialias settings, going from AAx2 and Supersampling gridx2 set in nvidia inspector, to AAx4 and no Supersampling at all.

=> my fps raised from 100 to 140fps in my test area and I have a far better image quality.

So ALT M mean Magic ;) Try it. If the key combination work you have a message which appear saying LOD BIAS DISABLED or something like that. It's a toggle, so hitting it several times and you should see the difference.

For gory details:

This:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/18712-IS-NVIDIA-Image-Quality-A-Joke-Or-Is-It-Just-Me

and this:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/18761-ALT-M-in-game-and-or-working-plr-entry

3. Domi

Domi Registered

It's not about white lines, it simply disables negative lod bias of all materials.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

People like copying each other.

I once found a couple of 'interesting' values in an F1 mod, found the same values in another F1 mod, and another, and another. Eventually checked the ISI BMW and there they were. Ultimately they probably made little difference, but anyone sitting there and coming up with values from scratch certainly wouldn't have picked those, yet here were many many people copying a base, modifying what they wanted to, and ignoring the rest.

Someone sees someone else using negative bias, and let's not forget at some point it may have been a better solution than the alternative, and pretty soon they're all doing it. And until someone comes along and says hey, it actually works better without that (as has obviously happened just recently), no one gives it a second thought.

5. Radar

Radar Registered

I remember seeing ISI comment on fixing Silverstone to have 0 bias (as some were negative) so as I said earlier, modders will need to make changes as will ISI with their content to eliminate this small issue. The Alt-M I'm afraid is the short term fix you need until tracks have been updated accordingly.

As Lazza said above, the original values were copied form various mods probably originating from ISI's mods in rF1 and people have kept using these negatives without a second thought. So instead of bringing in old values that created the problem to start with, modders need to change the values to 0 to fix the problem, it's that simple.

Suck it up and use the Alt-M for the time being instead of requesting old values remain for a new game by allowing a short term fix in .plr file because hey, pressing Alt-M is so hard to do.

6. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

It's about white lines mainly and this is what most users will see and why I simplified my explanations for "end users" ;)

I agree with you as I know what's that does in reality ;)

7. stonec

stonec Registered

As I said, anyone who knows anything about coding knows implementing this alt+M setting is a couple of minutes of work at most plus a few extra to fit into the UI. But such a change affecting all tracks must of course be carefully considered. I bet the users here did not test what effects it has on every modded track, but ISI will get all the complaints if it turns out some tracks have issues with this new setting. For example at COTA (right, a converted track) some grandstand elements seemed to completely disappear in the distance with alt+M, making the overall graphic experience worse for me.

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Maybe the title of this thread should be "idle chat".

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Its a slow-chat thread based on tweets, whatyagonnado

10. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Yay, I just auto updated to build 590 in the launcher :cool:

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

So to solve a very rare issue that definitely is caused by a modder not paying attention (or a quick conversion), the rest of us should suffer? It's simple--once all modders and ISI have learned how to do tracks properly and implemented the correct graphics, we can simply revert back to the current default setting...in 2019 when that happens.

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

When I first discovered negative bias for lod was when realizing that the shown quality for lots of textures was a lot worse than when the textures was open with photoshop or other image sofware. A good example was braking distance signs. I could hardly read them from the distance unless using negative bias. IMO it is not fair to ignore that the antialiasing of the game is poor making blurry textures when using 0 bias. There might be another way to add contrast or further sharpen the image ( as you want to call) but I don't know it. If you press pause with lod at 0 it is like when someone that suffers myopia takes off his lenses.

Of course, I have myopia :)
    enviado mediante tapatalk

13. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Jeremy Miller
    New demo content in the production pipe. Launcher to Qt5 so we get the latest security into with WebKit. Next build is an release candidate.

14. TJones

TJones Registered

Riskily! Hope all goes well. :)

15. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

Cool! They're pumping out builds a lot more frequently these days it seems. Also cool that people will get to try out new content in the demo.

16. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Karts going into Demo version?

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not at this time. Perhaps with a better track in the future.

18. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

My guess will be Panoz, Civic, Karts. 3 newest content cars. Becasue of how big, huge, massive step forward it was with them. All of them are nice to look at (Civic especially because it is modeled most recently) and they represent the newest physics philosophies. ;)

However apart from automatic HDR and some other stuff there weren't many new features implemented like new weather system, aquaplaning etc. I'm really hoping to see sth groundbreaking. ^^

EDIT: Ok, Tim was seconds faster than me saying no karts in demo.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
  19. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

I think the Panoz might be in there, but there was some people disappointed with it. Especially the long gearing. The Civic is nice to look at too, but when it was first released it's FFB was a pretty big controversy, being FWD. So I don't think that will happen either, unless they keep the Corvette or another RWD car. I'm really not sure what they'll include. My best guess is:
    - Silverstone. The most recent, seemingly fully complete, track.
    - Corvette. The most recent, seemingly fully complete, car.
    - Skip Barber. A very popular "learning race" car that excellently displays their physics engine. Will also display some open wheel driving.

And possibly a wild card in a stock car and oval track release? A triple threat right there. Tin top, open wheel and oval racing. That demo would cover almost all of the sim racing bases.

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

panoz feels like an AC drift clone to me (but obviously much better than AC) ,

best keep the demo to something like the skip barber on lime rock,

shame the new minimalist UI mod can't be used & be the default