Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. lagg

lagg Registered

Noel, it's possible, you are right, or not.
    And it's possible that we try to help ISI to improve the program and they don't want our help. Or they are interested in other things instead of solving the bugs.
    I posted yesterday two posts at the same time. One in this thread, and another here, speaking about a bug and offering my help to quickly check the bug.
    I've receive two answers from ISI, in the post of this thread, but none in the post of the bug.
    Where are they interested in?
    I prefer to have a stable varsion of the current content, instead of have more unstable content.
    It's not good to make bigger an unstable release.

I think that SPASKIS was speaking about this, and i agree with him.
    And he has banned because of this (my opinion, but a good opinion because Tim doesn't share his), being one of the most active members in the forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
  2. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

This. 100%.

3. lagg

lagg Registered

Two times.
    Have you taken a look to the SPASKIS profile?
    It's anything but passive.

4. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Thanks Noel I agree with you 100 %. about the part above.
    I have had never a problem with Spaksis or his postings but of course they are sometimes very direct and straight. About the rest I can't say anything.
    In my opinion the community should be more constructive with the communication to ISI and vice versa. If things do not (quick enough) happen as expected to be offense against ISI is not a solution and made NOTHING better.
    At the moment the communication is sometimes difficult because of the many threads with often the same topic. What could we do (as community) to minimize this ?

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think it was explained a bit more and I think you have a greater understanding than when you posted this, but as someone who has taken a shot at the animated feet I can confirm that for me at least it's not at all about "they've done so little they have to spruik this" but that surely, somewhere, someone had to do some coding to get the feet animated (they aren't hands, they don't move with the wheel) so while there's undoubtedly a guy doing the 3d model and animation stuff, someone had to do some code to get it working.

Of course the code guy(s?) is always doing something, even if we can't see it, but that's why it can be frustrating to have some things sitting where they are when the racing side of things could be improved so much by just an expansion of what's already there - not even coding a new feature, just taking what's there and making it slightly more configurable, or putting it somewhere closer to reality. Really talking 10-30 mins to find the relevant bits and modify/copy existing code for each one.

Graphics are pretty good (no, not the same as another game.. but it's not another game) and sure the lack of shadows can look a bit dodgy at times... but I don't drive a shadow. (Forgive the racing pun there) But that's my opinion, shadows and graphics might be top of the list for someone else, so all good.

So for me at least it's just a "ok, that's cool, but what about this? and this? and this?" and they aren't big wish list items... they're things that are already 80% there, or completely there and need a tweak.

6. borimoli

borimoli Registered

I have to rewrite McNolo´s words (I agree):

Dear members of ISI:

Your attitude with Spaskis has been unfair and misplaced. I have not seen insults or lack of respect that would justify his expulsion. If you not like critical reviews, simply do not put attention to it, but the thing that you have made does not show good image of you.

In my opinion the development is always difficult, I know it and I understand it, but if someone believes otherwise it is free to think that, you don't need to expel people just disagree with him, is called freedom of expression.

This actions create a bad image of ISI, and that is not good for business.

Regards.

I think if Tim and Spaskis take a few beers together, discuss, but also great friends because you both would like the sim-racing.
    The only problem is that in writing the words understand too literally.
    Please UNBANNED Spaskis, he´s a good guy and allways helps

7. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I've given both positive and negative feedback and I have never been banned or warned. Trust me, it's really not some kind of censorship. Perhaps it's convenient to think that someone is getting banned because of criticism, but I don't think that was the case here.

You need to consider that no one on this forum can expect to get individual attention from ISI. There's just too many of us.
    Request attention, complain about not getting it, complain about development order, complain, complain.... and you may get banned - for the sake of some peace.

There are many factors that influence the order of things being developed. It's not like there's just one list of things and people get assigned to them. Sometimes feature needs to wait, before a person with necessary skills is available and in the meantime, following items can be worked on by people that are currently available.
    This way, the actual order of development may be different than priorities assigned to items on list.

Simply put - there are priorities, there are resources and there are dependencies. It's the combination of those that determines the actual order of development.

Now - do we, as customers, have the insight into list of things to do, dependencies and resources? No, we don't. This is why someone who is telling ISI what to do and when is pretty much stepping beyond his station.

I often say here and there, that real road not working at accelerated rate is much needed. As much as I miss this feature, I don't go beyond that and start telling ISI they're doing things wrong. I just don't have the insight of what they may have in store for us. Perhaps real road needs to wait for something I don't even realize is planned.
    I never got a warning from anyone from ISI, despite bringing the real road topic up repeatedly (which I'm doing yet again ;) ).

I don't want to offend anyone, but the best way I can say it is that sometimes it's about not being a pain in the... :)

BTW: Yeah, I also think SPAKSIS is one of the good guys here :) Perhaps he had a bad day.

8. McNolo

McNolo Registered

If there aren't insults or disrespect, freedom of expression must be respected, is a fundamental right. You can't ban someone just because you don't like what he writes.

9. Domi

Domi Registered

They can do whatever they want in their forum. From forum rules:

Banning is something we really want to avoid. In most cases it is not necessary. However, if someone is taking up a lot of our time by being 'annoying' in little ways, we may use a temporary ban to give ourselves some relief.

10. yifter

yifter Registered

One can express freely anything on his/her _OWN_FORUM_ and/or _OWN_WEBSITE_ and enjoy said fundamental right.

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yes, I believe this is exactly what happened.

No need to discuss it further. Hopefully it's a short ban in this case.

12. sifri

sifri Registered

anyone know when the next build is planned?

13. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

It's currently in testing period.. not sure... hours - days - weeks ...

14. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

There's Thread Nvidia SLI but none of ISI staff is present.

I find this from Jeremy Miller tweets.(Jan 12.01.2014)

Ricardo Ferreira ‏@ricferreira Jan 12
    @jeremymmiller Is SLI optimization planed in the near future?

Jeremy Miller ‏@jeremymmiller Jan 14
    @ricferreira Very unlikely for the next update.

My simple question is when :confused:

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No, you have not seen them. That would be a correct summation of the situation.

This is not what happened. People, like you within your post, are free to express their belief in a mature and intelligent way.

I realize that some people may not agree with the decision to ban someone. Unfortunately this will happen.

16. 88mphTim

It was factual. I had said in a previous post I am not going to discuss it (reasons for banning anyone). You are coaxing me into doing so, but I won't be doing so far past this post.

Thank you for your list of feedback. I do not understand what this has to do with this issue. I understand the frustrations and problems caused by being a user for this type of software and what it can mean for leagues, etc. That is not an excuse to act in ways that would result in a ban. You gave feedback in your list very nicely, if people all do that without it becoming personal or restrictive to the general forum user, or ISI, there wouldn't be a need to ban at all.

17. 88mphTim

It was a tweet. :)

18. 88mphTim

I have always found myself getting on perfectly in 1 on 1 interaction with people. I simply can't let the kind of FORUM interaction which was taking place continue. It's not constructive to the community, sim racing in general, gaming in general, or ISI. I understand people disagree, but the forum is not a right. If you want to give real feedback, there has to be a decent level of respect that you are talking to real people. If reading someone's post affects the reader in a personal way, generally the post being read was not a good one. Being baited into going back and forth with someone who is drilling for blood in a stone is tiresome.

19. 88mphTim

And perhaps me, too. It's the next day and I always take the time to read things back, email the people banned. Then usually depending on whether they talk to me like a human being or not in private, is what makes my decision on any changes to what I did.

20. 88mphTim

This is contradictory and open to interpretation. Your interpretation of the posts involved obviously differ to mine about what they contained, which is OK, because you are expressing yourself in an acceptable way.