Is there any modder who can do this?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Haris1977, Jan 3, 2021.

1. zxd1997

zxd1997 Registered

Corti have suggest that tool, but it's not quick and is annoying because you need to take pic one by one than generate it by tool, then add in the mod.. so I think it's not easy haha

Corti likes this.
  2. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

Thanks.

If i understand correctly, the author says that it only works in dev mode - which means that i:

1) Have to run the game in dev mode all the times (to have the car thumbnails)?
    2) In order to access the dev mode i have to use the old ui? (cause there is no dev mode in new ui)

If yes, then there are too much limitations i guess:(

3. zxd1997

zxd1997 Registered

No, you misunderstanding it, the thumb missing because new UI use another set of thumb so it needs to be redone. And in old UI (both dev mode because dev mode still in old UI) it still works with original thumb, that's it. And to make a new set of thumbs for new ui might be time costing... And without thumbs isn't the end of world lol.
    And you don't need to play it in dev mode, if you really need thumbs, switch back to old ui is ok but may lose the future update of the game.
    And to launch dev mode (maybe not your need but I just say it), you just need to click play on steam, and choose the list option to "launch dev mode"

4. philrob

philrob Registered

here is the location of the DevMode in the new UI.Make a shortcut to it and keep it on your desktop.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\rFactor2 Mod Mode.exe

Haris1977 and zxd1997 like this.
  5. philrob

philrob Registered

After posting the above i took another look at the settings.

In the properties box of your shortcut the TARGET commands need to read:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\rFactor2 Mod Mode.exe"

In the properties box of your shortcut the START IN commands need to read:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\"

these are my dir structures, yours may differ.

Haris1977 and zxd1997 like this.
  6. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

The author says ".....the screenshot file name has to have the exact same name like the according veh file.....If everything looks good, just press the Key 1 and make your Screenshots....".

So, I guess (?) the folder where my mod is, is this:

\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles\Corsa Cup 2010\1.25

This folder has 7 files (i cannot see any veh file):

Untitled.png
    Because i dont know exactly what to do (please correct me if i am wrong), here are the steps:

1) By following this https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/easy-icon-creator-showroom.67215/ i should extract the EasyIconCreatorShowroom_SMMG_v1.1_DevMode.zip file directly into the DevMode Showroom Folder (which lies in ..\rFactor 2\ModDev\Showroom)

2) Start the game in dev mode

3) Go into the garage menu of the corsa cup and take some pics (by pressing key 1, key 2 to unhide the Showroom Mesh)

4) Upload those pics in http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/rF2GGeninfo/uiiconcreator.php. This Site generates the icon png files of the Cars, for the new rfactor 2 UI. To generate the Icons properly, you have to ensure the following.
    The screenshot file name has to have the exact same name like the according veh file!

Are those steps correct?

7. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

Edit. Step 3 wont work (i do not get any car image, even if i copy pasted the Corsa Cup 2010 folder from

\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles

to

\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\ModDev\Vehicles

I am missing basic things about modding i guess..Do i need special structure of the mod inside the ModDev/Vehicles folder i guess?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  8. zxd1997

zxd1997 Registered

Can you see those cars in dev mode? Yep you probably need to know basic rf2 (yep, it's similar with rf1) file structure to get a better knowledge and operation about that. And you need to extract files from mas to get the veh file to so ( I don't tried to make thumbs for new ui with those tools so I don't know.)
    And yep, you move is right but don't include 1.25 folder in corsa cup (just mas files under the vehicle/corsa cup in mod dev folder)
    I don't know if you can understand this because I'm on way home with only phone to answer haha

Haris1977 likes this.
  9. lagg

lagg Registered

The .mas files are compressed files (like .zip or .rar)
    Tou have to extract the .mas files with ..\rFactor 2\Support\Tools\MAS2.exe
    Estract everyone in a different folder
    In one of them will be the .VEH files
    To install the vehicle in ModDev is more complicated, because you have to find out the structure created by the modder.
    If there is a showroom that can be usefull to do the screenshots in the normal game, that would be perfect for you.

10. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

Actually there is. I will try to take captures from there but they wont be 100 % similar i guess. On the other hand i do get the veh files if i extract the CORSA_TEAMS.MAS file. My 7 veh files are:

CORSA_01.VEH
    CORSA_02.VEH
    CORSA_03.VEH
    CORSA_04.VEH
    CORSA_05.VEH
    CORSA_06.VEH
    CORSA_70.VEH

There are 7 files because i do have 7 different liveries (i suppose). Does this mean that i also need 7 png files named accordingly?

CORSA_01.PNG
    CORSA_02.PNG
    CORSA_03.PNG
    CORSA_04.PNG
    CORSA_05.PNG
    CORSA_06.PNG
    CORSA_70.PNG

11. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes.
    Take a look here
    http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/
    The "create Icons for the new UIs vehicle slection menu" button

12. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

Yes i know. I am trying to follow this one here http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/rF2GGeninfo/uiiconcreator.php

So my question: Let's say i manage to create my 7 png files (which is time consuming and wont be perfect unless i find a way for identical pictures - i am working on it ;)).

The previous page, after i upload the png's, generates a zip file with some files inside. Where do i put these (final) files :cool:?

13. lagg

lagg Registered

You have to put the 7 png with the VEH and pack with the rest of the files of the original .mas file in a new .mas.
    And then create an update of the car with the MAS2.exe including the new .mas file
    I'm not in the computer and can't check it now, but it's possible that you have to include too corsa.mas and corsa_main.mas
    Good luck

14. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

I am confused. I do have 7 car liveries in this CORSA mod. But for every png file (eg CORSA_01.png) i do get 6 new ones when i upload them to the online site

Untitled111.png

That makes totally 7 x 6 = 42 new icons.

You are talking bout 7 files. Where do the rest go?

PS @zxd1997 can you help repacking the vehicle if i provide you with the 42 new generated icons? I guess you know how to do it - if you get the files needed (you just follow step 6 from here https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/new-icon-creator-tutorial.65139/ i guess)

15. lagg

lagg Registered

Sorry, not the 7. All the pngs(42)

16. Corti

Corti Registered

You add them all to the Teams folder
    Sin título.png

lagg likes this.
  17. zxd1997

zxd1997 Registered

Sorry just gone to bed now. First you need to pack all pngs into mas files, just the one you find veh files (simply drag all files into opened mas file then save.) Repacking as rfcmp just use the same tool, click create a single cmp package in like last two button on that tools and choose the mas input the name and version and so on, you might find it somewhere here. Or wait until tomorrow night (gmt+8), and if you can't package that plz upload all 7 car's thumbs it generated to wherever can be downloaded.

Corti likes this.
  18. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

@zxd1997 I will try to generate all files (both 42 *.pngs) with correct filenames and upload them in a zip file here. Take your time

zxd1997 and Corti like this.
  19. redapg

redapg Registered

OK. let's see....
    Do you know a Method where you don't have to do Screenshots one by one, to get a Start to create the new UI Icons?
    The Tool is doing the Work, you only have to upload the Files.
    Without that, you don't get any Icon showing up.
    Everybody would be thankful for an easier and quicker Method, i guess.
    So if you know one, please enlighten us. ;)

zxd1997 likes this.
  20. Corti

Corti Registered

mod dev folder, i send pm Harris

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    zxd1997 likes this.