Is the Clubsport Wheel Base & BMW rim worth €700?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fastfezzer, Mar 13, 2013.

1. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

Please don't move this into hardware technical again as it's a general opinion thread and not a technical problem. That area is dead and no-one looks there.

Is the CS worth the price tag?

Can anything else compete with it?

Does it offer superior force strength to the likes of the G25?

Basically, is it worth me upgrading?

I've used other Fanatec wheels and still preferred the G25 in terms of FFB. Just wondered if the CS was a big step up?

Thankyou.

2. thuGG

thuGG Registered

I changed from G27 to CSW. Logitech feels like a toy compared to Fanatec. The strength and quality of FF is way way above G27. Also it's more functional with all the buttons.
    But it also broke once, so you have to consider reliability. I'll tell you though that it was a pain to go back to G27 (my spare wheel) from CSW. The whole repair procedure took about 4 weeks.

Is it worth it? I don't know, I got mine for half the price, so it was definitely worth it. Initially I wanted to buy it for full price and I think I still would buy it.

3. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

4. Ducatiguy

Ducatiguy Registered

For me, yes without a doubt it was worth it. I had the logitech Gt wheel, then went to a fanatec porche wheel, and now have the CSW. I originally purchased the CSW with he BMW rim, and later purchased the F1 wheel. I absolutely love the CSW and both rims, they each go a long way to instilling immersion of realism depending on car type being driven.

I think in the CSW price/quality/feature bracket, there is not much competition. You have the thrustmaster or the fanatec CSE, while I have not used either, I suspect you cant really go wrong with any of the three. Speaking for only myself, I have zero regrets choosing the CSW...I love it.

5. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

If you're looking to upgrade parts I think CST pedals offer more bang for the buck then a CSW.

6. thuGG

thuGG Registered

I don't think that even the best CST pedals can replace a steering wheel :p

7. lbird

lbird Registered

You are right. But if we are talking about value for money, i would think about the following setup:

- Shifter: Thrustmaster TR8s
    - Pedals: CSR Elite or CS Clubsport (im gravitating to the Elite pedals, because the difference is not that big)
    - Wheel: CSW, T500 or stick with a G27 or G25?

I use a G25 wheel and pedals plus the TR8s right now and i am happy (except for the pedals), but what would i do when upgrading? Don't know yet.....

8. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

You're using the T500's 7/8 speed gated shifter with a G25...?

9. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

AFAIK the TH8RS shifter has standalone USB connection, so it can be used with whatever wheel.

10. lbird

lbird Registered

Yes, that is no problem at all. You can combine any wheel/pedals/Shifter combo as long as they have their own usb connector...
    And the TH8RS is a fantastic shifter, no comparison to the plastic G25 thing. Since i drive mostly historic manual cars, i love it.

11. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That's a bit of a difficult statement to prove or disprove to be honest. If you're comparing the fanatec to a servo wheel, the fanatec will probably feel like a toy too. It's just how much do you value your money and what do you want to get out of it, value for money wise.

12. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Ok, so TH8RS plugs into the PC via USB, but it must also plug into the G27 wheel as well?

13. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Yep, the G25/7 shifters are the weak link in the package.

14. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

DFGT-G27 and DFGT feels like a toy, but G27's "feel" is pretty good, though CSW paddle shifters would probably be chunkier.

15. thuGG

thuGG Registered

What's to prove or disprove? G27 feels like a toy, low quality, plastic product compared to CSW. That's the truth. Money is the other factor, which I talked about later in my post.

16. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That it just depends where you are coming from and in my opinion it has more to do with what he does expect for the money he is spending and if that is worth it :) (Prove and disprove probably weren't the best choice of words)

17. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Listen, the price doesn't change the product itself. You can't say that G27 is less toyish because it's cheap. It is what it is and the price doesn't change it or it's quality.

What you discuss is "value for money" and G27 is probably better in terms of "value for money" than CSW, but it does't change the fact that it feels like a toy compared to CSW.

18. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Agreed :)

If I were Fastfezzer, it would be nice to be able to test the CSW in order to make up your mind if it's worth it or not. If you have the money though, can't see a reason why not to improve hardware when you have the chance.

19. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Too bad that Fanatec ships only to the "first world"!:mad:

20. KernigWRC

KernigWRC Registered