IS NVIDIA Image Quality A Joke, Or Is It Just Me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Not for everything. Of course Supersampling does have better visual quality than Multisampling simply because it will smooth everything. Some Multisampling Methods which use Alpha to covergae come pretty close to that, but that's another story.

What I mean is the very, very, very heavy aliasing you will still get on all those fine textures with transparency even WITH Supersampling, on every rF2 track I've seen so far. I'm talking about the fences, power lines, the white track markings on the road... Yes, they all are oversharpened because the creators used LOD bias' of like -3 and so on. Even ISI did that on their latest tracks. I think TechAde found out that Silverstone even uses those ultra sharp filterings on the markings on the track, fences etc. If those LODs would be changed to something more reasonable, yes, you will improve the visual quality on those a lot more than simply using Supersampling, while losing no performance at all.

Just take Sebring for example. When driving on the back straight, take a look to the left. Using Multisampling, the high power lines are interrupted, flickering. You will see huge gaps in the lines. Using Supersampling, the gaps become smaller, the flickering less noticeable (because we're basically rendering at a higher resolution, the margin of error when sampling (should this pixel be black? is the power line in here?) becomes smaller, yet it is still there. In the far distance, the power line is still interrupted, the breaks are just shorter in terms of pixels on screen. Then use Multisampling and Alt+M. Voilà, no more interrupted power lines. It will be smooth and you won't see any flickering. It will look heaps better than Supersampling without Alt+M. But if you want to have the best quality, you can of course use Supersampling + Alt+M. Or even better, Nvidia's 32xS AA mode + Alt+M.

But Supersampling alone can't fix those wrong LODs, correct. More reasonable LODs would greatly improve visual quality without losing performance. It would be free quality you can use whether you are used to using Multisampling only or even Supersampling.

2. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Something worth bearing in mind is that when you use zero bias then you do need to offset that with higher levels of anisotropic filtering or the distance blur can be really bad.

If you're already running 16xAF then Alt-M is 'free', possibly even a performance boost as it allows the GPU to make use of the lower resolution mip maps.

However, if you're currently running lower levels of AF then Alt-M can't really be considered free as you have to factor in the hit from turning up AF.

3. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

That's true of course. I do believe that all those people who are currently using Supersampling as a brute force method to smoothen the white lines for example should have a powerful enough GPU to run 16xAF without any problems. :)

I think I've never fired up a game without using 16xAF since that kind of texture filtering was introduced. That was probably pre-millennial. :)

4. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Agreed, I'm just being my usual pernickety self. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

5. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

You should get a matrox triplehead2go...

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Lots of us have been using some variation these settings. The heat haze bubble/bug often occurs when you mix sampling types. For my current settings, it only occurs in the mirrors. I have been patiently waiting for yet another build to fix this problem.

Now, ISI (in other threads) conforms that they do not consider the heat haze bubble a bug of theirs and have no intention of fixing it because you can get rid of just by using normal (not mixed) settings. I find this absurd, but no more so than many other ISI stubbornness examples.

Can any of the graphics gurus here confirm which settings produce the heat haze bubble (from exhaust heat) and which do not?

7. jimortality

jimortality Registered

Hi, just read through and I'm struggling with one mod, the ASR F1 1992. I've tried every setting under the sun but I'm still getting bad edge quality around the tyres yet all the other mods are fantastic. I have a Nvidia GTX 770 and I've messed with AA, Anistropic, and even the new DSR setting but I can't seem to get rid of this issue. Any ideas please?

8. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

you can't use graphic settings to get rid of low poly squarish tires in a mod, you'll run in circles for ever. It's the same thing with the heat bubble thing appearing here and there, turn the heat haze off. You will lose practically nothing and get rid of a big PITA in the process.

9. jimortality

jimortality Registered

HI Jim, is there anyway of getting rid of low poly squarish tires or is it something that only the modders can do cheers