IS NVIDIA Image Quality A Joke, Or Is It Just Me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Mar 8, 2014.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah there is that but changing that value does nothing, also this one in the PLR:
    Mipmap LOD Bias="0.00000"

It ranges from 0 to 5 but I cant see any difference in game (when pressing ALT+M) between 0 to 5 so not sure what it's for. Would be handy if this worked properly so as to avoid pressing ALT+M every time you go out on track.

2. TechAde

TechAde Registered

As I see it the real solution is for track modellers not to use negative lod bias on their materials, then there would be no need to use Alt-M. People who think there's too much blur could always add a little bit of negative lod bias via nVidia Inspector or an equivalent AMD tool.

3. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

But it's also present in ISI's original tracks. Additionally, rFactor 2 doesn't accept an altered LOD bias in the inspector, I don't know why, but I'm not the only one to have that problem.

And here's a little comparison with 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA. It's a small area close to the horizon. The track is ISI's Silverstone.
    Everyone who still says SGSSAA is the solution to all problems, here you go. It can't fix a wrong texture filtering which happens BEFORE rasterization and Anti-Aliasing methods.
    Watch the white lines on the asphalt closely, especially the third line from the bottom right which appears to be made from 3 short lines (which are shifting left and right too) without Alt+M. Details are missing because the filtering was too sharp, and the "jumping" segments are which cause the heavy flickering in motion.

[​IMG]
    (It's an animated PNG, not all browsers will be able to show it)

First frame of the animation:

4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA:
    [​IMG]

4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA + Alt+M:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
  4. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Notice I said track modellers, not modders... that includes ISI. :)

5. Robert Gödicke

Sorry, my bad. :)

6. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Hmm, you're right, I thought it did but it doesn't work for me either now (build 494). I must have only tested an earlier iteration of the graphics engine (possibly not even rF2). Sorry 'bout that!

That does make things a little trickier.

For reference, here are the material counts at various bias settings in ISI's Silverstone:

0.0 = 217 materials
    -0.5 = 119 materials
    -1.0 = 111 materials
    -1.5 = 12 materials
    -2.0 = 24 materials
    -3.0 = 1 material
    -5.0 = 1 material

That 1 material at -3.0 is the painted lines.

7. Robert Gödicke

It doesn't work for me in rF1 either, which is bad, because rF1 doesn't have the option to override the track creator's custom LOD bias settings. :(
    It looks horrible on my GTX770 while it looked perfect on my GTX285.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I guess RFactor 2 works quite a bit different than rFactor 1 because in RF1 my lines do not look like the horrible lines in the top picture, the SGSSAA+MSAA works absolutely to perfection for me, not even close to your picture. RF1 must be quite a bit different with regards to aliasing, lod filtering, etc.
    For absolute max IQ why 32xS? That is supersampling @ 2x2 + 8x multisampling. For max IQ wouldn't just SSAA on it's own @ 4x4 or even @ 3x3 have higher IQ than SSAA @ 2x2 + 8XMSAA?

9. Robert Gödicke

Because of the different Mip bias of 32xS which seems to work apparently (Setting the Mip LOD bias manually in the inspector doesn't work in rF2 apparently, so using SGSSAA and a positive LOD bias doesn't work). Setting SGSSAA or regular Supersampling will produce the Aliasing like in my animation. It's much better with 32xS, but 32xS also benefits from Alt+M.

Did you try that with your 780ti? Could you post a screenshot please? No matter what I try, the LODs are completely wrong for me in rF1 and I can't change them through the inspector with my GTX770, sadly.

10. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Something to be aware of is that a lot of rF1 tracks have the line textures on the the main track surface texture, rather than sitting on their own geometry like rF2. This allows mipmaps to work better, even with a negative bias.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

All I can say is Alt-M better make it in to the UI (e.g., a check box) or at least the .PLR file in the next build. How can there be a solution to this decade-long problem of excessive jaggies with ISI graphics, but then we have to manually activate it every time we start a track?!?!?! I'll even forego my other pet peeve of having controller profiles attached to cars so they only have to be loaded once, not over and over again, to get this into the sim permanently.

Thanks to those who have found and explained it.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Or... what?

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

If we use 32xS with Alt-M, what to select for AA - Gamma Correction?
    AA - Line Gamma?
    AA - Transparency Multisampling?
    AA - Transparency Supersampling?
    Texture Filtering - LOD Bias (DX)?
    Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias?

14. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I agree, this ALT-M deserve a good place in ingame setting in menus and/or Launcher, around FXAA and AA settings. At least in an INI of plr file for now temporary.

Or I will hold my breath until ISI do it! ;)

View attachment 11955

15. TechAde

TechAde Registered

The solution has been there all along, track creators simply have to leave their materials at a bias of 0.0 rather than the setting them to -3.0 as most seem to do, especially for painted lines.

Even -1.0 would be better than -3.0.

Yes, 0.0 causes textures to blur in the distance but that is by design and can be minimised with high levels of anisotropic filtering.

Negative mip map lod bias is the enemy here, Alt-M is just a band aid. The real solution lies with the track modellers (who probably all hate me now as I've potentially caused them a lot of work!).

Maybe a PLR toggle really is the simplest solution. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

16. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

17. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Wow, great thing this Alt+M! Now I only have to set AA to level 4 and Sync to None/Off from rF2 settings and set only these three settings from nVidia Inspector (rFactor2 profile): Maximum pre-rendered frames: 1, Vertical Sync Tear Control: Adaptive, Vertical Sync: Force on. Very little performance drop without sacrificing looks!

18. TechAde

TechAde Registered

19. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Exactly my new settings, and you don't have to use Inspector anymore, all that is on the standard NVidia control panel AFAIK (but tear adaptive, in any case seems set by default) :)

Edit: nope, small difference: my VSync is also set as Adaptive, in case fps drop under 60 it's far better.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

But I'm assuming for the most part it doesn't drop below 60, so then why would you want VSync on the majority of the times? The input lag is pretty bad, maybe it can be minimised to not be too bad when just normally driving, but when real precise, quick & quickly timed inputs are required I find the VSync induced input lag awful.