Is it worth to upgrade from windows 7 to 8? Please post your experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SPASKIS, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Tiago Lourenço

Tiago Lourenço Registered

Don't need to. You're just one of those people that it isn't worth replying to. That said, last reply to you unless you say anything constructive.

You just ready my mind mate. Nice one. ;)

Also, interesting to see that you can actually use RDP to spectate a race or something else like that.

I didn't notice the Copy Path button, that's just, WOW. Thank you. :)

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

How did I forget this feature that Win8 brings, TOUCH SCREEN support. Just about all new laptops have touch screens today. Yesterday I found a laptop for $250 (USD) that had a touchscreen. Not only do the start screen and metro apps support touch but the whole OS. Scrolling in all windows. Outlook 2013 even has a touch mode that changes the layout a little which makes it more touch friendly. It is also multi touch aware so you can pinch zoom websites or even directory listings in explorer.

Win8 has basically made touch screens a standard feature on laptops. Hopefully it will drive desktop monitors to go touch too. I would love a touch monitor for rFactor. I have had countless keyboards with integrated touch pads and trackballs to combat the constant game of hide and seek with the mouse with my cockpit. But they all suck for typing or suck when your hands get wet.

Btw, if anyone can recommend a keyboard with built in trackball (optical) that isn't junk, that would be great. Preferably wireless with full size keyboard. These compact keyboards are a pain in rF.

3. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Well, to start off with SkeleTele, every computer needs an OS (operating system) to function. Without it it, all you would get would be black screens on your monitors with a little flashing cursor and no clue what to do. Second, Linux is an OS just like Windows is, but is open source and based on Unix, very light and very powerful compared to Windows. It does take a little bit of knowledge to get things going at times though, so it isn't for everyone yet. Part of the reason that Windows is so slow is because it does have a lot of bloat (extra stuff you might not need or want) and so takes time to do things on occasion. There are things that can be done in any of the OS's to make them faster, and the more you know about computers, the faster you can make them work to a point. Basically you stop the bloat from running so that the rest of the OS can run faster.

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I would love to agree with everything you said, and for laptops, it is great that they have touchscreens and full touch support in the OS, however, for desktop PC's, the normal is no touch screen so having that in the OS is a pain. I also have to disagree with you on the file transfer window being accurate. I have seen that window sit on 5 seconds remaining for a good 5 minutes in Windows 8 and 8.1, so no, they have not fixed that little issue. Also, Windows 7 file transfer window has the minimize option as well, so that too is not new. One other thing about the touch interface and PC's, and I have mentioned it above as well. If you don't have a touch screen, then using a touch pad becomes a nightmare at times on a laptop due to the OS thinking you are using gestures on the touch pad when you are really just trying to get the mouse to where you want it. This makes it cumbersome and a pain to use in my opinion. I also seriously dislike the idea of a touch screen monitor. The last thing I need is to spend a small portion of my day cleaning off all those stupid fingerprints that I would smear onto it every day touching the display. I can't even imagine what it is like for those that have children who play on the computer on occasion with messy sticky fingers.

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay so void all the improvements on the file copy dialog because sometimes the ETA is wrong but right WAY more often then it has been for the past versions of windows. Your right, win7 had the minimize button too. But the transfer rate info and stacking is nice. There are other nice things about it like the links to the source and destination folders.

About the touchpad. I already agreed with you on that point. But that can be disabled. It isn't driver dependent and isn't a reg hack. It is built right into the OS. Look for it and avoid pulling anymore hair out. :)

Adding touchpad support isn't a drawback for non-touchscreen users. The new start menu is perfectly fine with a mouse. The bottom line is it is "different" and people hate change.

6. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

There! Fixed it for you!

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Like I said in one of my other posts. OSs should never change because someone will always be unhappy or claim they are unnecessary. I remember talking to people over the phone back in the days of the classic vs new start menu days. First question was, which start menu are you using. I had to find ways to explain how to do things that were generic. Such as doing everything from the run box. Microsoft is probably trying to avoid the fragmentation of having the new start menu along with the old menu. I personally think the new start menu is better, even without a touch screen.

8. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I really don't see how that document is relevant to this discussion. If there is any particular part of the document you would like to discuss then lets go for it. But this guy starts off saying he doesn't see any real reason not to switch to Win8. That is his opinion. But it isn't fact. Fact is that Win8 has lots of improvements over previous OSs. In general performance of say rF1 and rF2 on XP is roughly the same as Win7 and Win8. Is that a good reason to stay with XP?

This thread will never end. Here are the facts:
    Win8 isn't going to give you a significant frame rate boost. It may help with consistency of the frame rate though.
    Win8 has lots of improvements under the hood and to the GUI. The list goes on and on.
    Win8 DOES NOT require a touch screen and it IS NOT more difficult to use without one.

So if you are the type that only upgrades to get a boost in framerate then pass. If you hate change, then pass.

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Oh yeah and the taskman in Win8 is lightyears ahead of Win7 and that isn't an exaggeration.

11. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Win 8 for me as same bad disaster as Win Vista was, Microsoft alwayse makes one good and one rubish system, XP - Vista ... 7 - 8

12. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

I'm speechless with the majority of posts.

The mistake isn't not like it, the mistake is hate it even without learn how to work on it and then yes compare.

[​IMG]

13. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

ye im tired of learning how to work it like every second year

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I would love to know some details on what is so bad about Win8.... and while you're at it... what was so bad about Vista? Or are you just repeating what other say?

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

People don't mind grouping icons on their desktop or using addons like Stardock's Fences but they refuse to do basically the same thing on the new start menu? It is just too confusing to hit the start button and see all their icons grouped in what ever way they want them. They don't mind moving their mouse and double clicking an icon on the desktop but for some reason they think it is too much work to move the mouse and single click on an icon on the start menu. For some reason they think you need a touch screen for that and the learning curve is too high.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013
  16. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Yeah, just read that again and tell me why I should give a toss. I think you're just joking around now. Afraid of change? You're a little magpie child after the newest little shiny useless thing. Keep on being spoonfed what you should think by corporations.

17. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Could it be that you know so little about computer stuff that you just have to trust them that they're improving things when they list features? Do "features" reassure you?

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Hahaha!!! It's called evolution. If you don't care about new features then that is your opinion. I have a long history in the industry. No need for silly comments like this.

I myself work in the IT industry and if I am going to sit at a computer all day everyday I am going to want all the useful features I can get.

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

With your mentality you should just stick with XP. Or are you still on XP? Not sure exactly what constitutes an OS as being worthy of an upgrade if features isn't one of them. I only listed a few things that came to mind. There are plenty of changes in the kernel too. For example it is tickless now (you know so much I am sure I don't have to explain what that means right?). Not a big deal for desktops but a big deal for laptops and tablets.

20. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I don't know what tickless is and I don't use a tablet nor a laptop. Tell me again why I should care. Do you buy a new house when you want a new sink?