Is it worth to upgrade from windows 7 to 8? Please post your experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SPASKIS, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

For me this conversation its over and know why?

"Do not argue with an idiot, he drags you down to his level and then win you on experience"

Its for no one specific but for everyone that starts to miss respect to the others.

Noel, forget... Its the best we can do. After all we already give our opinion to OP.

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Bad analogy. But I am willing to spend the very tinny fee for Win8 to get access to everything it offers.

3. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Are you saying that people who are afraid of change, like me, should pay a small fee to reinstall their programs in a new OS because you enjoy Windows 8? Are you a mental patient without his meds or a chronic narcissistic doofus?

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Nope... absolutely not what I said. What I have been implying is that there are advantages to Win8 but people don't like it mostly because they don't like change. Again... no need for the silly insults.

5. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

There's no need indeed, it's just a little bonus. ;P

Asking for people to accept change when you offer a lot of stuff they don't care about is sure to fail. I'm sure you've read articles and the responses. I was genuinely interested in it, especially when the upgrade fee was low, but they made a poor case of their improvements and tried to appeal to tablet users. Their mistake, their loss. Maybe if they make the silly touch interface invisible and focus more on presenting the actual improvements (which I believe in), they'll get some traction.

6. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Sorry! My fingers jumped ahead of my brain. It is really a question. Can something like what the link suggests for setting up a gaming rig (which makes win 7 very fast and stable) still be done in Win 8? My main concern is the security features?

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

An added bonus of a few days leave from the forum can be added if done too much. Please don't do it. :)

8. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

If you're going to ban me from the forum, do it, but don't threaten me. Just a friendly warning. :)

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Ah.... I see... So I am just listing some changes to the OS (Facts) and you are discounting them for everyone else (your opinion pushed on others). I see how it works.

You can't really blame MS for focusing the hype around the start menu. Blame the press and people that haven't really used it for that.

10. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I'm mostly a Windows key > type three letters kind of user, so I'm not even sure what people wanted exactly.

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

So am I which is why the new start screen has almost no impact on me. I hit <win> then type ex <enter> and I have Excel running. It is much faster than looking a sea of icons or a big long menu (going back to the classic start menu). I have been operating this way ever since Vista.

In Win8 there is also the Win+X menu which gives you access to anything an IT like person would want. So for example you can hit Win+X,A to run cmd as admin. Very easy to walk people through stuff now. To shut down you can hit Win+X,U,U. Not that anyone shuts down anymore.

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Fair enough. Done.

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

From what I have read w8 might be a better OS than w7. However it is really curious for me the kind of features that people find most valuable. The possibility to pause a copy or copying the path of an archive. It is all about time IMO. The time of the user should be the priority of any OS. Historically OS programmers have devalued users time priorizing internal processes over user actions. It is incredible that sometimes, especially on the start up but not necessarily, it can take a minute to deploy the contextual menu after right clicking an icon. It is like if the system said wait, stupid! I am doing much more important things than that. I guess that the system could be programmed to priorize user actions over any other process. An OS that saves time to the user will always be welcome. Another example of the silliness of some programmers is IBM Lotus Notes. Thousands of hours have been lost in companies because they did not include an icon to swap between upper and lower cases. Lots of users need to retype things after they realize they had caps lock activated. I myself have a small script to change from upper to lower case the content of the clipboard so that I can save time everytime I write an email with capital letters. I have a keyboard shortcut for it so it takes seconds. Sorry for the offtopic but I wanted to share it with everybody.

enviado mediante tapatalk

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Well considering the emphasis on tablets I am guessing that GUI responsiveness would be a top priority. The whole tablet emphasis has benefited everyone. Memory footprint has dropped, battery usage has dropped, it's tickless now, the ability to suspend apps, ect ect.

I haven't seen a context menu take a minute to come up in a VERY long time. The only time you should see that is on a system that is out of physical memory and is paging like crazy.

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

As you say tablets and phones have had a very good thing on IT people: It has forced them to make things work in much less powerful devices and has made them THINK instead of just wasting resources for things that can be done much better. The huge memory consume todays programs have cannot be justified. We all remember the ages where ram was 16kb or 64kb and no hard hard drive. We had games, word processors, excel, ... Not as nice looking and with so many unused icons as we have now, but they worked fine. If the philosophy of resource optimization had been applied, today our systems would be way more powerful than what they actually are. The same thing can be applied to the imagination of gaming software developers (not talking about sims but other games in general). The graphics, controllers and other stuff blinded them in such a way that it was hard to see an original an addictive game lately. The reduced graphical capabilities and control limitations of smartphones has reborn a new retro era which remonds me a lot to the games I used to play 30 years ago that were terribly addictive (and difficult).

enviado mediante tapatalk

16. RodBarker

RodBarker Registered

Whats " better " is relative to what the user needs for his actions sometimes we need things and dont know it and many people miss out because they are afraid to try something different or new , when it comes to programs you will always find arguments that every app is " better " than the next depending on who you talk to and what they use , mostly all arguments are based on the same thing , like my old 3D Max teacher used to say , comparing applications is all about program familiarity , the space shuttle is easy to fly when you know how , the first time I opened 3D Max or Photoshop was very frustrating , today its nothing .

I trust evolution because its trys hard to improve on the past , it dont always get it right initially but generally everything gets better as it evolves and for me personally I just wait for the right time to jump on board .

17. Gupster

Gupster Registered

I'm one of those "hold outs" XP forever was my motto. I installed win 7 a few days ago and I must say it is nice to use. Reminds me of OS 10 Mac. Might have to grab a copy of 8 just to see what all the convo is about but 7 runs great. Framerates are close on either XP or 7 but it looks "smoother" on the win 7 to my eyes so all you XP holdouts... Give a new OS a go!

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

There's still people on XP? :eek:

19. johnsclander

johnsclander Registered

I have XP on a secondary PC. I loved it like the first day :)

But Win7 is a goddamn great OS. I buyed Win8 update and i like it, but it have problems with many games, not exactly compatibility problems but sound problems and things like that.

Interest discussion here in any case, really like some points of view.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Sound problems eh? I hope Win 8.1 doesnt have issues with my Auzentech Forte, I would not be able to go back to no soundcard. No way.