Initial impressions and Q's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xracer, Sep 21, 2012.

1. xracer

xracer Registered

Hi,
    I bought RF2 a couple of days ago and i installed the the new F2 mod along with the Clio mod and i must say i'm really exited! This seems like a quite good alternative to iRacing for me when it comes to drivefeeling. I always liked the fantastic feel of NR2003, GPL etc. and also like Simbin's latest sims. Gotta feel something which reminds of a car you know :) Anyway i haven't started messing with too much settings in RF2 but there is NO stutters or any problems until now. I really hope that i can run 3 screens as soon as possible. Going back from 3 screens in iRacing, Race Injection etc. to one is not great i have to say. Anyway what has been unique in many of Kaemmers products i in MY VIEW the AI. If it's good or bad realisticly i haven't digged much into, but driving along with the AI's in GPL was great cause they ran smooth. That is for me important for gameplay. That is different in RF2 i think. I've just tried the default setup and i find that the AI's are fast as he** already on 75% in straitline. Almost to fast compared to when they enter the brakingzone before the corners. Raising the percentage makes them better in corners, but too fast in straitline. So i wanted to ask on the included track for F2 what laptimes are you guys running safely on? I do 1.10's but the AI get to 1.05's already at 75%. With the default setup i can't even think about getting into the 1.05's. Any views on how to adjust settings to make the AI's less choppy in corners and genreally more smooth around the track?

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

There are quite a number of guys that are running around the 1:04 or 1:05 mark for the Palm Beach. If the AI is choppy, perhaps there are settings in your graphics that need to be adjusted to smooth things out some?

Also, what issues are you having with running triple screens and what are your system specs?

3. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

This days I made some races offline(I don't drive open wheelers,so,this days I haven't raced online) and I must say that the AI is quite good!
    I set the IA on 120% and I can barely beat them with 0.5-1sec'(2hours ago I made 20 laps at Putnam Park with the GT4 and I made 1'05.4 and the AI made 1'06) but I have to do a perfect lap to make the poleposition!
    But when I make the pole position they don't give me any challange and after 3-4 laps I have already 5-6sec' of advantage!
    In some circuits they are too slow in some corners,for example at MOUNTAINFOREST where they brake too early in some corners!
    but overall the AI in rFactor 2 is 2 steps over the rFactor IA!

4. xracer

xracer Registered

Yeah, i've just lapped around Palm Beach just to check the general feeling of RF2 and i think this sim has really great potential. My laps of 1.10's i wasnt pushing too hard but front end grip with default setup was to slippery for me to push much harder through the corners. As the track has a couple of long straights i guess lowering the rearwing a little just as a quick change will help on the laptimes. But if i look at the AI's incar with let say 100% strength they brake extremely late almost unreal and have gluegrip. Anyway i guess ISI are trying to improve the AI all the time. When you look at an AI car through a corner it corrects the line very jaggy. That is different from let say Kaemmer's sims. Anyway when looking at the aggression part of the AI's it looks very promising. They seems to drive human at least with a setting of upto 30%. Also the sound is superb in my opinion. I think ai read somewhere that the AI's are programmed in such a way that the kind of "learn" the track better as they do laps. But i can't understand how they can do let say a 1.15.xx in qualifying and a 1.05.xx early in the race with same track conditions???

5. coops

coops Banned

you should reply about specs as a lot of ppl using 3 screens with no probs.

6. xracer

xracer Registered

No it's not the graphics at all which make the coppyness. Its silk smooth on my system (i920/ATI 5850) it the way they corrects to much all through the corners. When it comes to triple screens i thought the readme says that its not functional? It's disabled in the menues.

7. Digi Lauda

Digi Lauda Registered

Hi,

two things concerning the AI: It´s a beta (you surely know) and the AI uses simplified physics. There is still a lot of work to get it balanced. But i think the game is more aimed to online racing, and AI was always a weak part in any game i know.

And i saw you have only installed 2 mods. Like mentioned in the "Downloads thread" all mods and updates should be installed to avoid trouble. Some of the mods and updates interfere.

Have fun :)

8. xracer

xracer Registered

:) So does this mean that there is a recommended mix which should be installed only? I have installed F2 and Clio as the others i tried required som other tracks to be installed first seemed like. Got a message that a base component wasn't on my systems etc. But couldn't find the mod with the tracks i needed or these tracks as standalone. When it comes to what you claim about "AI was always a weak part of any game" i would say it differently. I would say that it's very few developers which manage to make the AI's good. I guess it's one of the most difficult parts of the game to develop, but Crammond (GP4) and Kaemmer (GPL/NR2003) did make the AI's easier to predict and so it was easier to drive a full race without major surprizes. But as you say they are still developing and as long as they work to improve RF2 am sure it's gonna be great. Actually am not fun of a sim which has only online capabilities, but i kind of realize that the buisness concept which iRacing have taken is the way to go to ensure continued development of a sim. Developers need food on the table too. As long as i get the most realistic sim possible i will gladly pay them. Another thing i see is that these days there are starting to be some competition in the hardcoresim marked. Hope that is going to be a positive thing. Just hope that i dont run into the problem of which one to choose when i sit down to drive :)

9. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Well tell my triple set up it's disabled LOL It is well and truly enabled. Simply click on configure sim in the launcher window, click on multiview, set up the correct resolution and away you go.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
  10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

One thing that probably needs to be addressed here is that in order to setup triple screens in the sim, you have to have your desktop setup correctly. In ATI CCC it is called eyefinity, not sure what it is called in nVidia software. You may already know this xracer and I am sorry if I am stating something that is way too simple, but just covering all the bases :)

Once you have your desktop configured, you just need to select the resolution that matches what your eyefinity desktop resolution is. It may also be a good idea to choose the Widescreen UI and MultiView options as well. You choose those options from the launcher when you click on configure sim button.

As for the mods that should be installed, the other poster was talking about the ISI mods, not the mods created by the community. All of the required mods can be found at the top of the downloads thread as well as the updates to them. You should install all of those mods as well as all of those updates in order to get the best performance out of the sim.

11. Knight of Redemption

Heh, he did say in his first post he uses triples in iRacing and Race Injection...But better safe than sorry :)

12. Digi Lauda

Digi Lauda Registered

13. xracer

xracer Registered

Yes thanks for the heads up! I just got hooked up about reading something about that Multiview etc. wasn't working. I have to say i had to go away to for 14 days just after reciveing RF2 so i better do more checks on it. I guess RF2 don't render each screen as a separate task as iRacing do, but if it works as good as in Race Injection it's great. Looking forward do this when i get home!

14. Knight of Redemption

It is much better than race injection and indeed does render each screen separately, some tinkering with fov will probably be necessary as a rough guide somewhere between 25 and 35 should hit the sweet spot. you need to be looking dead centre of your monitor and as close as you can get for easiest setup...anyway enjoy :)

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

There are a number of FOV calculators out there that take into consideration distance to monitor, size of monitor etc to give you a fairly accurate vFOV to set your sim up with. My setup requires about a 21 degree vFOV to look "right".

16. Duvel

Duvel Registered

definitely turn on multiview - that's the option to get separate rendering for each screen.