I Introduce to you: Iggy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Tim recently stated the following regarding the new U.I. tech:
    I'm therefore thinking ISI may not even end up implementing the new core-U.I. to RF2, and may just wait for a sort of clean slate with RF3.

A new core-U.I. is extremely time consuming and is susceptible to a ton of bugs. It really is a ton of work to create/implement a new core-U.I. from the ground-up into a current game. I therefore completely understand why this is such a large undertaking for not only ISI (small dev team), but any dev team at all. I have hope though. It would be great if we got something shown to use within the next 12 - 18 months (1 - 1.5 years).

Remember. The main reason for a new U.I. is not for pretty graphics and sliders, menus, and such (although you'll get that), but for the functionality of the game itself.

Please don't hold-off on this until RF3 :(

--> http://codesuppository.blogspot.ca/2011/06/my-new-project-duatiu-is-actually.html

source --> http://devmaster.net/devdb/libraries/iggy-game-ui

source --> http://www.develop-online.net/tools-and-tech/8-top-ui-tools/0200621

source --> http://www.radgametools.com/iggygames.htm

[​IMG]

Homepage and info --> http://www.radgametools.com/iggy.htm
    More info --> http://www.radgametools.com/iggyinfo.htm
    Development history / change log --> http://www.radgametools.com/iggyhist.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
  2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Nice to meet you Iggy.

3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Flash is considered a dying platform, if (and I doubt that) ISI are still working on changing UI tech, they should go with HTML5 for maximum moddability, fits game like rF2 ideally.

5. Domi

Domi Registered

If Flash is a dying platform I wonder what is rF2 UI, Jurassic Park? :)

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's a dying Web platform. That has little to do with this. Is CryEngine 'current tech' enough for you?

http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC4/User+Interface

However, this thread is largely pointless at this time, this has gone pretty far down the queue with lack of time needed to complete it. Time you guys would much rather be spent where it is, believe me. A thread now will be gone and forgotten, resurface a few times, and still make no difference to when or if.

7. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

off topic:

I don´t know if i misunderstand because people are being sarcastic (mostly Durge, but now Spinelli too) but when people start to talking about RF3 i feel like to slap then on back of the head and say: hey, what about finish what we already have and stabilized for at least 1 year or 2 before starting rumors about new software version?

To me (and i imagine to new comers) looks like rf2 is in a dead end and people are already giving up.

I really don´t understand this talk. Sorry in advance if it is just a figure speech.

edit: is this a sim or people want some kind of Codemasters business model?

8. coops

coops Banned

PPL trying to think there is an RF3 in the works already are dreamers have not even hit the potential of this new engine yet IMHO!!!

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I don't think RF3 is yet even in the works, and I know that RF2 has a ton of potential yet. And I'm not being sarcastic about RF3. I'm saying that because this is a big change that was originally planned - or at least was very seriously considered - well, instead of possibly holding off on such a large code re-write and task until years from now (what would most likely be RF3), to rather develop it for RF2 even if it takes 1.5+ years to implement.

The potential remaining in RF2 is the very reason why I would love to see this change. The possibilities with a new U.I. core are huge.

ISI should release a major update in 1.5-2.5 years with the full DX12 feature-set and a new core U.I. (and possibly more) and call it "RF2.5" or "RF2 Next", or "RF2.B" or whatever, and charge owners $10 to upgrade to it, and $99.99 for any new customers ($15 increase over current $84.99 price).

Ok, now I'm dreaming. Close this thread already :)

10. stonec

stonec Registered

To above posts : the point of Spinelli was not rF3, what he was trying to say was a wish to get new UI tech (iggy or whatever) project going before moving development towards something like rF3.

Flash as tech is probably perfectly fine for rF2 purpose, I was thinking more about moddability. I know some old games with HTML UI which have received tons of custom modded UI's, simply because it's quite easy to get started and more people are familiar with it.

11. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

I understood that his point on this thread is not about Rf3. As i said: off topic

What i disagree is putting Rf3 like something around the next corner. To me,1 to 2 years, considering what i think about the actual development of Rf2 is kind of absurd.

Will try to explain shortly because my english skill not good enough: real road, wet weather, tire behaviour (degradation, temps), physics, ffb are not independent one from another. ie: if we had weight transfer behavior when braking fully developed and real road or tires completely wrong simulated, no one will be able to drive any vehicle.
    In my opinion as non expert, Rf2 still in the middle path of being complete for what they promise. Taking number of rf1 users to what we have now in rf2 and projecting the same will happen if they release something like rf3 in 2 years, i think rf3 would have 10 users. So talking in Rf3 is completely nonsense to me.

Hope you understand what i´m trying to say and Spinneli and Durge don´t get me wrong because they are people i really like and helped me a lot (here on forum and when i was playing online). Cheers.

12. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Yes, please. I care mainly about the experience when driving, rather than everything before and after - which some one descriped as waiting :D

13. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

rFactor 3?

Bwahaha. Let them get close to finishing rFactor 2 first before mentioning such things.

14. yusupov

yusupov Registered

im going to be one of those 'im just an ignant farmboy' badge-wearers (we have them in america) & say UI just DOES NOT MATTER. beyond what theyve done (cosmetic stuff) this is so far down my list of wants. and i only wanted a cosmetic overhaul bc i thought it could be done very quickly & painlessly & will lead to more people buying the game (evidence being we already had a 3rd party UI that looked more than good enough to not be like a time capsule).

i guess its cool to read about this but how about contact patch, finally fixing the indy car within the next 2-3 months, & A GURNEY EAGLE/SHELBY COBRA ARE U YEAH. idk, thats what i get excited about, this is awfully techy stuff. but sincerely i do appreciate spinelli for digging deeper & keeping the community informed.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

screw the UI update procedure and RF3 trash talk, has nobody mentioned the fact that we're STILL waiting for the Mills Short Layout yet?!?

<yes this post is meant in jest don't get worked up!>

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

RF3 is much better then AC2

17. Miro

Miro Registered

18. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Why would ISI mind? The UI is changeable for a good reason and I'm sure there are more people who like a different backdrop. Maybe people would also like you to explain how they can get their own backdrop integrated in the new UI?

19. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Awesome! But i would love one with your avatar pic ahaha

Is there a tool on rf2 core to unpack rfcmp files, right? Or it comes with mod dev version?

edit: btw, is it possible to change the default drivers face to a pic of myself?

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You can't "extract" rfcmp files. You can install them and then go into the Installed folder to locate the MAS files and then extract those. Then replace the backdrop and then add it back to the mas and then build a new rfcmp. It's rather easy with a few of my tools:
    Use this to make extracting easier:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/18947-MAS-file-extractor-rfcmp-Installer

And this tool to repack the component.... simply double click on the MFT file, give the component a new name and then click package:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19023-Component-Builder

Here is a demo showing how to do the whole process (still uploading).

Everything I do in this video is done using the two tools linked above.... with the exception of MS Paint. :)