how many updates until the following features introduced

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jajp999, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

@jtbo: At times when I am coming close to the end of a spin while in cockpit view, and I mean the car is only moving like 5 or 10 kph max, I would think that the spin would center around either axle and not the center of the car, as one axle is bound to have more grip than the other at that sort of speed. What I experience just looks unnatural to me is all. I even see it when the car is almost standing still.

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Could it be that rear or front end just has less slide? With open wheelers rear tires are often bigger so they might grab better so that front comes around bit longer?

One can always look data with motec plugin and see if slide % (which is actually how much is not sliding) of tires differ in such situation.

3. blakboks

blakboks Registered

The true test of this is to view it from a static exterior camera (i.e. not one that's linked to the car in any way). Because you're not experiencing the forces on the car yourself, all you have to go on is what you see and hear. Obviously, sound won't tell you anything one way or another in this case, which just leaves sight. In which case, yaw will almost always be more apparent than lateral movement--and a lot of times it is difficult to tell the difference between the two when you can't feel the forces--particularly if you have a low FOV. So, while it may appear to be rotating about the center, you could, in actuality, be pivoting more toward the front or rear.

So, double-check from an external camera to see if you still feel this way. I remember one testing session when I was swinging the car back and forth wildly (using the keyboard), when I viewed it using the Swingman (with its point of interest locked between the rear wheels) it looked like the car was pivoting about the rear axle, which looked totally fake. I then switched cameras to one of the track-side cameras and found that it was, in fact rotating properly.

Another easy way to test this is to do some donuts in the FISI :) You'll see...it will most certainly pivot properly--mostly about the front wheels.

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I will do some testing and logging of data tomorrow and see if I can pinpoint in motec what I am talking about. If the car is doing what it should, then it is just a visual thing and something is not telling my car where the spin center or grip center is at.