how many updates until the following features introduced

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jajp999, Aug 12, 2012.

1. jajp999

jajp999 Registered

Hoping Tim can give an indication - not a promise or fact - just an indication

- Rain effects on the camera (visor)
    - Rain spray from the other cars (will it be true 3D?)
    - Vibration in the FFB from a flat spot
    - true tyre management for a weekend

Cheers

2. Jos

Jos Registered

the Formula ISI already has vibration when flatspotting, which makes the car undrivable with g27. just ugly oscilation...

3. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Grip the wheel like you intend to break it ;) Just kidding Jos, will have to have a go in the FISI cars to see what you are talking about. I thought that Tim said it was already in, but the feedback from it was not as strong as other feedback. I might be misquoting him though, so don't hold me to that :)

OK, did a bit of testing and I am not sure why you are saying it is undriveable. Do you have major issues with the curbs still?

I ran the FISI car with default setup to top speed in 6th gear and locked the tires to get a good flat spot on them. I did this after 3 laps to ensure they were heated, as I was thinking that might have an effect on how flat the tires got. My thinking is the hotter the tire, the more rubber is removed.
    I did a couple of laps after the flat spot, not pushing to an extreme but pushing a bit, and I felt the vibration in the tires most when cornering. I hardly felt it at all down the straights. In the corners where I did feel it, the car was still drivable though.

EDIT" see sig for my system config and race hardware.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
  4. Jos

Jos Registered

Ok the car is still drivable, but i couldnt stand the vibration when cornering, there is a solution though, turning on ABS :)

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

That should definitely prevent most of the flat spotting :)

6. Jos

Jos Registered

But what will happen when all cars get flatspotting, will all cars be a rattly mess? :(

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

If they put flat spotting on all tires, the cars without ABS will have the vibration as you won't be able to prevent the flat spots that way. You will have to be more careful with your tires :) If we want real, this would be real, and usually required a pit stop to change tires, at least in NASCAR that is the case.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Can't give you an answer to any of those. There are some issues with 101 that they want to address soon, but after that it's really likely to continue as it was, and they need the technology in-place (it is, but more 'final') for those effects, before they build those effects. Even something like spray is way more complex than people think. Tires can fling water forwards at slower speeds, etc.

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Not to mention in open wheelers your front tires throw water in your face at lower speeds when turning. :)

10. jajp999

jajp999 Registered

Thanks Tim for taking the time to reply

I'm sure we will all greatly appreciate any new info when you have it available

Also you are right.... I think we do all greatly oversimplify the complexity of implementing features along with the impact it has with other aspects of the sim and the development cycle. However I'm sure you knw that 99.9% of people hear are all here to consume news and to push the product to the best it can be - like the dev team itsself :)

11. Alesi

Alesi Registered

not only water, for me there gravel, grass and other also goes throw the car body just inside

12. LOL server

LOL server Registered

Hey guys,

Haven't been here for several months....I did pay for my full license & still no game finally released??? :(

I was a great fan & hosted several servers for the original Rfactor. This Rfactor 2 has taken years...and still unreleased??, man feel like cheated.

When is it finally going be released?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
  13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

One car windshield washer set, some clever code to figure out from outsim when speed is appropriate for relay to switch washer pump on, remember to aim nozzles to your face.

Dirt and grass is bit challening, but with desktop fan and some clever code you could get small box tipped over and fan blows that to your face, of course you need fan to experience the wind.

Good points to this solution is that you would also experience smell of grass and dirt, all in 3D, or is that 5D as there is feel on face and smell with it too?

I should get it patented and sell for all sim racers, with that I would get millions, or then perhaps not, it might be bit hard to sell for ladies, guys are having difficulties with wheel alone.

Anyway that extra realistic wet seat and driving suit certainly would make additional realism for 2 hour endurance race, also those vintage racing goggles might become handy too.

Probably nobody is willing to go that far.

14. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Don't forget the piped in exhaust fumes!!

15. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Oh yes and oil splashes when racing historics, I did read somewhere that reason scruff became popular was because of hot engine oil flew around, but that was before historic formulas in rF2, it was at the time when they took engine from airplane and but it on not much more than horse wagon, thousands of newtons torque put to ground by wooden wheels and tires that were not much wider than wrist.

Using automotive wheel bearing grease for gears of pc wheel will provide nice smell similar to how cars smell from outside when they are cold.

Soaking rag in petrol and letting it dry for few hours, then putting it at front of fan should make something that resembles bit smell of exhaust, often it is unburnt petrol that can be smelled clearly from exhaust fumes.

Also heating some heavy unpainted metal should bring bit of addition to scent creating illusion of being there.

16. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

When ready. I believe they are still aiming at within this year, but no-one (including themselves, or so they say) knows for sure
    Why do you feel like cheated :confused: Not only didn't they break a promise to you, but also you can get all your money back the minute you want it. So if you don't agree with it taking so long, then do so. I think you rather want to wait untill the game is good enough, then them releasing something unfinished tomorrow. (at least I do!!!)

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Well, your correct jtbo, in the 60's they didn't have full face helmets, so you would definitely get a bit wet on the face, though I was thinking more of modern F1 and other open wheelers where getting your face shield covered in water was a real problem. I imagine they had wax coating or something on the tearoffs?

18. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's been mentioned to do a 'goggles' view similar to the visor view currently in the software.

19. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Now that would be a nice addition to add to the impression of being in a vintage race car, rather than in a modern race of vintage cars. :)

Hopefully there will also be updates which allow for perception of spin center to be based on physics later on as well. I don't really care to watch my car pivot around the camera when in a very slow spin. hehe.

20. jtbo

jtbo Registered

What do you mean by this, incar camera?

How I understand this is that your eyepoint is defined in car's files and that is hopefully where real driver's head is in car, then you can adjust seat from that location.

That defined position moves where car moves and as car moves by physics so does the camera.

Center of gravity is usually very near that location, so maybe it is just impression that camera would not be moving with the car with correct location?

For Swingman camera, for some reason it's rotating point is put for rear part of car some reason I don't fully understand, I have set this to be around center of car for my car.

It is adjusted by editing 3rd value from this line in cockpit.ini:
    CameraTarget=(X, X, X) // Base target for all other views (swingman, TV cockpit, tracksides, etc.)

Of course it is now possible only by bringing car to mod dev mode first, then edit that and create new mod to install it back to single player which is not online compatible with previous one and perhaps requires folder structure, naming etc to be changed. With rF1 you could easily make 2nd file and copy over one to use online (original file) or to use offline (modified file).

Disk space usage also increases dramatically as in rF1 4kb was sufficient, now whole mod need to be reinstalled, hundreds of megabytes for that single change.

Maybe that sees some improvement in future.