Hosting only with paid content, Please, no!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aslak, Dec 9, 2023.

1. Aslak

Aslak Registered

Hello everyone,
    I bought credits to create my own server to host Formula 1 races from the 1980s and 1990s. I bought 24 hours of hosting, being sure that I would be able to race with friends and invite others players.
    BUT, I noticed that you can only host PAID content. It really sucks. If I had known this before, I wouldn't have bought anything.
    We absolutely must be able to create servers with Steam content that is not paid for. Otherwise, I wouldn't host anything and go back to the leagues I'm registered for. In the meantime, I will request a refund for my purchase. I hope that Studio397 will react on this point which for me is essential. Good day to all !

PedroJ likes this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The simple solution, I would think, would be to NOT use the rental servers, but set up your own. From what I have read over the years, hosting your own server is not the easiest process. But many people do. Try, perhaps, to contact one of the many server hosts and ask them to setup a session you and your friends would enjoy. I am guessing copyright rules prevent S397 from providing equipment(rental servers) However, those impediments should not exist with privately run servers.

trichens likes this.
  3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

The original hosting option hasn't disappeared. You can still host a server with whatever you want. You just need to use SteamCMD.

trichens likes this.
  4. trichens

trichens Registered

I would think that there would be serveral problem with using mods on the S397 servers.

Firstly, you are paying S397 for the use of the server but wanting to use free content provided by a modder.
    The modder won't be happy that S397 are making money off their work.

Secondly, if there is a problem and the server crashes or hangs whose responsible for this?
    The modder or S397?
    If I'm supplying the server then the users would expect me to be able to ensure it all works OK.
    I wouldn't want to take responsibilty for some unknown content.

Thirdly, why would S397 want content they haven't created on their servers?
    I've not tried it but I'm guessing that iRacing don't have people uploading tracks and cars to their servers that aren't part of the iRacing content...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The rF2 dedicated server is actually not that difficult to get running.
    You have to be methodical and have some patience, and be able to set up the port forwarding on your router.
    I'd suggest that you should use a separate PC to run the server on.
    That allows you to try things without busting your "normal" PC.
    It should be possible to get it working on an AWS server or a Linux box too.

PedroJ and atomed like this.
  5. Aslak

Aslak Registered

Thank you for your answers !

Indeed I understand well what trichens means, and that Studio-397 should not make money with mods that they did not develop it would not be fair.

@Woodee - I tried to create a server on my PC by following the guides and especially the one on YT from
    Nxt LvL SimRacing, but it doesn't work. The server is configured correctly, but it does not appear in the list of community servers. But above all I cannot launch Rfactor and the server at the same time. In short, I despair...

Good day to all !

6. trichens

trichens Registered

Umm... I've not tried using both client and server on the same device.
    Is firewall set OK?
    I have the following set open.
    54297 UDP + TCP
    64297 TCP
    64298 UDP
    64299 UDP

My router has a "Loopback" option that needs to be enabled for this to work OK.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Aslak at least until recently, and possibly still, the normal procedure is to exit steam, then run the server. That shouldn't make steam start.

With it running, then you can run the game. This has the added benefit that you can exit your game and go back in, without interrupting others on the server.

(there will also be some settings to change between the two, I believe; Web UI port I think is one of them, to avoid conflicts. You want to leave your game setting for that one the way it is, or the game won't work properly)

It's not easy the first time, but plenty of people can help you with setting up a server, like Woodee.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
  8. Aslak

Aslak Registered

Thank you @Lazza, i will try it tomorrow (i hope) and come back with the result of my test. I've also found this tread "Server and Client on the same Machine" and will test.
    @trichens, thank you for your post, my ISP router seems to be correctly configured.

I'll get back to you soon guys, i really appreciate your help, i feel less lonely now ;-)

davehenrie likes this.
  9. Allwin20200

Allwin20200 Registered

Yes please @Aslak, I was curious months ago on how to set up a server but get lost with so much information, most of them I think is outdated and I abandoned the idea. So if you can make it work and came back with some links or some info you found I will appreciate it :)

Good luck!

Aslak likes this.
  10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Did this one come up in your search? https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/setting-up-a-dedicated-server

Aslak likes this.
  11. 8Ball

8Ball Registered

Still amazed why more don't use this feature for offline.
    Host and join private room from one tower.
    Hosted and raced online for years on same tower.

This has 2 distinct advantages offline.

1. You can test anything in a window and multi task without having it pausing.
    2. You can swap cars and skins without leaving the session.

Want to test all Lemans cars make a rfmod
    You can bounce from car to car and you get to retain all lap times

You can add 25 differerent models to rfmod.
    Offline that could mean 25 + reloads = how many minutes.
    Not to mention you lose the laptimes every reload.

Using same PC you get no lag latency issues either.

Aslak likes this.
  12. Aslak

Aslak Registered

Hi all,

@Allwin20200 @Woodee @8Ball Thank you guys !

@Woodee Yes, I read this guide (https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/setting-up-a-dedicated-server), but I'm not sure I didn't make a mistake.

First of all, I confirm that I've opened the ports on my router :
    https://ibb.co/rszNckb
    [​IMG]
    On the other hand, I don't know how to check if they are really open.

In my player.json, the "WebUI port":5397 is OK.

My server seems to run correctly :
    https://ibb.co/8cpw3BM
    [​IMG]

I've tried to launch my server without having steam opened, and then launch RF2, and it freezes.
    https://ibb.co/8mnh1gT
    [​IMG]

I really don't know what's going wrong :(

@8Ball, i'd love having a working configuration as you have..

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Which player.json? Your game, or the server?

They need to use different ports. Your game should remain on 5397. Make the server 5398 or something.

Aslak likes this.
  14. Aslak

Aslak Registered

I've just modified player.json of my server, and set WebUI port to 5398. Now RF2 is launching correctly, thank you.
    But i still can't see my server (Tatuus_Bugatti) :
    https://ibb.co/Qj6sHbL

An idea?

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Server visibility problems can be due to many things, I'll wait for others to chime in with ideas. I would say though, seeing your own server can often be problematic - selecting LAN can work better, but when I did this sort of thing years ago I relied on connecting directly to the server (by IP) with a game shortcut. So that's a backup option if you can't get there yourself, but obviously that's only useful if others can get on there normally.

@Aslak a good check when trying to run a server is redapg's server list, as you can see if it's working without needing to be able to see it yourself in your game.

(and now that I test that page, I can see your server on there lol)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
    Aslak likes this.
  16. Aslak

Aslak Registered

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I edited my post just when you posted, so just to make sure: I can see your server on redapg's server list tool. So it's definitely listing to some extent, and is probably able to be joined (by others). Get some friends (or random people) to test, and use the direct connection for yourself if that's the only option you can get working.

Aslak likes this.
  18. Aslak

Aslak Registered

Yes, nice ! Thank you for having check and for the link!
    I'll ask to my son to test in a few hours. Maybe a really stupid question but :
    How can i use the direct connection for myself ?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  19. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Can't see the server ingame, not showing in Steam's server listing, joining via direct ip address returns a invalid server details error.

Attached Files:

20. redapg

redapg Registered

Did you try to join with the Link/Button on my Server List (Steam Client has to be running)?
    If it's Password protected, you'll need to have the Password.