Honestly question, honestly answer pleased !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by speed1, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speed1

speed1 Banned

Very simple and short question, and the result will help me sorting my prioritys new because i'm thinking about leaving the simracing after ages of gaming experiences, since the commodore c64.

Are my presence annoying people ? I can understand it. I meet many people in the past in my life trying to explaining me what's wrong with there car, while the language barrier of some in germany makes it impossible to understand and i end up to check the car for every possible little issue for myself and often lost many time because the one wasn't able to communicate clear. I could have saved all the time if i had understand everyone right and could recommend something without to loose time. The other fact is because of my professionality i sure have a different POV and reason why and how i'm acting in relation to car simulation but i won't harm anybody and the opinion of people intrest me to know is why i'm asking. Thx in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013
  2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

If people's opinions and/or how they perceive you and yours make you want to stop enjoying your hobby, maybe you are taking stuff too personal or you are just continuing your hobby because it became a habit and not out of enjoyment?

Direct answer, no, and I don't think you have to explain yourself :)

3. chappielike2009

chappielike2009 Registered

I think a language barrier is possible but apart from a few selected super-humans i doubt you are annoying anyone :)

4. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

No problem for me! Keep racing!

5. speed1

speed1 Banned

Thx, but without a community no hobby, at least with todays simracing. The days of playing on consoles with mates are history. I'm sure i will drive here and there but more what already is happening as a casual driver or self amysing one and that bores me on the long run what already is happening. The other fact are this never ending story of half finished software not the opinion of people will stop me and i'm more thinkng about leaving the public, like this forum what i already did with some while i don't know forums before all this next gen stuff has started. I have had some bad experiences, and it looks like it repeats here as well.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

You don't annoy me at all Speed. But then again, I don't get annoyed easily :)

Not sure what this is about but I can relate to the language issue, if English is not your native language things can go wrong easily. I often simply misinterpret what someone is saying or get a question wrong. for me its because I read too quick and don't let my brain fully translate.
    Same with posting, if i'm not careful I type/post too quick and it can easily be taken the wrong way or not as intended.

Gotten myself into discussions/confusion just by doing that, and over the years I have learned to not post directly but hit preview, re-read and check if what want to say is actually the thing I wrote.
    Same with reading, I often re-read sentences or posts, just to be sure the translation was correct in my brain :)

And besides the language barrier there is also a cultural barrier, different countries just do things differently. For me as a Dutch guy I am often too direct and perceived as aggressive and arrogant. I've learned to tone it down when talking to the British/French/Belgians and Germans as their culture is more erm....less harsh and direct.
    I can go all out with the Americans hehe, they are equally direct :)

So if you are worried how you are perceived, maybe start with checking on that. Is what you write going to be perceived exactly as you intended? try and turn it around and think how others would see it. take more time to read and react.

But then again, why do you care so much? Is this really going to decide your future in simracing?
    Because if so, then you need to get out of here and not come back, an open forum community and its paraphernalia should not be the reason you want to stop simracing. Because why are you here? to be liked? to spread opinions? or to enjoy rf2?

Maybe stop coming here so often, don't get involved as much, focus on info rather then discussions. relax, chill, regroup and enjoy the sim. don't make te ISI forums your home where you expect some sort of emotional gratification, you wont get it.

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yeah, you should defo join a league man. even as a casual driver a league environment is much better, more personal, easier to deal with and less focussed on constant problems and negativity. Let the admins roam the ISI forums for fixes and solutions, sit back and enjoy the ride.
    It will increase simracing fun as well, nothing beats organised races and championships. increases your skills, tightens the relationships. what more do you want :)

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

Thx for your words, sounds logical to me and i should take it by hart. No it's not everybody should like me more if everybody understands me and my doing. There are many signs showing people don't do, or at least seems like that.

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

If everyone would understand everyone the world would be a better place by default :)

Do you use a translator to communicate? German to English?

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

That's right in sense but without comunnication a no go :)
    Sometimes yes but not in general. I won't get used to it, they do not work right. The meaning is often totally off.

11. tjc

tjc Registered

I`ve never come across any problems at all with you speed so chill and race on. :)

(The language barrier can be a difficulty sometimes for all of us, but you and many others who`s first language is not English amaze me sometimes with how well you speak/type it... I know native English speakers that don`t speak as good English as some of you guys. :D)

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

Thx and i know what you mean in sense man, it happens all day long here as well, people can't use there own native language right, not to mention how they write it. :)

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Bing auto correction tool helps allot though :)

But yeah using a translator will often only confuse things more. Its never quite how you want it to be and often just makes things worse.

14. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes and i was very good at english but ages ago and i never need it to use and forget the most of it after my last lesson ~ 25 years ago. Now im counting 40 and thing's becoming harder to relearn or learn from scratch. :)

Maybe another intresting fact is me is a full blod tuerkish guy living and went to germany with a age of ~ 6 month and convert just by nationality to a german. I'm multiculturel, marryied a nice german wife with i have a nice doughter. Me is of the generation of integration and piece but i know well the differences of cultures. As you can see me knows at least 3 languages and the most important i have forget because of no use. :)

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

And the ongoing confusion between British English and American English, does my head in sometimes!

Tire/Tyre
    bonnet/hood
    Colour/Color
    pavement/sidewalk

etc etc. the list is endless and we (eurotrash) never know which is which. very annoying :)

So, this is now an English-language-bashing thread. go!

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

Haha yes anybody need to be the faulty one and i like the toughts it's the language not me. :)

Me often visit holland and my experience is you guys are also know 3 languages, native, german and english. It's nice because i never get lost there and if the natives can't help me, i sure will find any tuerkish guy there, at least in Amsterdam :)

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Speed, you drive me crazy!!!! Hahaha.. Just kidding.

I think the real issue with this community is it is very international so we have lots of people in here where English is a second language. I am extremely impressed with how good most of the english is here. In fact, I feel the English of those who write it as a second language do a better job than many of the Americans in this forum... Including me. Hahaha

Speed, sometimes these forums get redundant and aggravating. I normally retreat to my league's forum for a while but I never leave the hobby completely. I don't think I could possibly abandon simracing entirely.

18. sg333

sg333 Registered

You cant just leave sim racing. It's like the mafia; once you're in, you're in.

Unless you want a pair of cement shoes :p

19. speed1

speed1 Banned

Thats the issue with me i'm a car junky anyway. Don't know started with toy cars as a child, screwed on everything i found, even bikes. The odd is i would like to study informatics but don't get a place for, so i end up with real cars up to a batchelor and master of vehicle technicians sharing my love with you guys :)

@Noel
    Understand, may i should give it a break for some time.

20. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Don't go, Speed1. Just ignore the retards and assholes and you'll be fine. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.