"HDR" Screens at RaceDepartment

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 25, 2011.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

That'll be why waiting on the post fx (or even them being finished, which they are still WIP) before passing total judgement is probably so valid. The base art in rF2 is WAY better, the basic engine is WAY better, so the post FX can do quite a bit, as evident in rF1. :)

2. 88mphTim

I've known a dev to add polygons before so they can meet their 'production standard' quota of polygons that they can use for marketing. Adding useless polys doesn't benefit anybody except the marketing department being able to impress people who are impressed by poly counts. I think there is some misunderstanding here: Skillful modelling is about building the model with the LEAST polys and getting the same look, not the most.

3. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

Sure you are right but it always depends on what the designer mean mean with "useless" and "doesn't benefit anybody". I own GT5 and I can say Poliphony Digital premium models are very detailed in the final product ( high poly, great interiors, great textures, superb lighting and post processing) just a shame they are stricted to low-spec ps3s so they reduced dynamic shadows (quite a lot) and anti aliasing to keep the game on 60 fps. They used modern PC's for marketing videos, running the game at higher resolutions, with anti aliasing, aniosotripic filters all to max settings and much more memory for shadows. If someone is able to create the SAME quality with the same smoothness, reflections, interiors, post processing, ecc ecc.. using less resources then he is a VERY Skillful designer. If someone achieve a good result but not AAA+ level, it's a good respectable work but in the end a compromise toward performances. Which may be good for gameplay but still a compromise, so not the "same". I mean, without disrispecting anyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2011
  4. 88mphTim

You're missing my context. :)

5. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

I'm not missing anything. Let's make a simple example from 1 to 10 let's say PD models (textures, shaders, everything concerned) are 10. If you use less resources than them and your cars really looks the same (10/10) than congratulations. But if your cars looks 8/10 or 9/10 is still a good result, I will like it, but imho wont be fair claiming the achievement of the "same" result. Or, let's say, companies nowdays are claiming whatever they want but in the end is the user who will rate their work. :eek:

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think you're missing this:

Same look... not almost as good.

This here:

Is the only thing you said within the same context. Everything else was talking about things that don't look as good, which is a different issue...

7. 88mphTim

Tada. Also worth noting my point about building UP to a polycount when you don't need to, because people are impressed by polycounts, even if you didn't need the polycount to build the model. And yes, that HAS been done with a non-PC racing game...

8. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

Ok thanks for clarification. But please name them, it's too easy say somebody has done this and that, and don't reveal the name. I'm sure PD didn't use a ps3 for their videos, but I'm not sure about about the fake 3d models. And even if the did, the quaility of their premium cars is still very high, I'm not only talking about poly count, I'm talking about dynamic reflections, something never seen in modern rF1 honestly, if you'll match those stuff in rF2 that would be an outstanding job. Time for videos, hint hint :)
    About Turn10, I know they weren't using full details in Fm3 because of low spec consoles but the 3D models on the disc were good, good enough to make modders mad about convertions ^^

EDIT: this is what I mean about dynamic reflections on the car.
    Gmotor 2.0 engine can do this:

PD dynamic reflections:

another video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf0TfOCrdxw As you see their reflections aren't horizontal, they come frome the enviroment in a dynamic way. If rF2 have a similar feature will be GREAT. After those promising screenshots I got some hopes.

PS awesome sounds by StockCar developers.

EDIT2:This is Shift2 by SMS, their source code come from Gmotor so technically dynamic reflections are possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2011
  9. Uff

Uff Registered

No: their graphic engine has nothing to share with gMotor 2.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Forgive me, I might be interpreting this wrong, but we've already seen live reflections in 2 rF2 videos (tyre deformation, flatspot). Albeit the reflection on the sidepod in the first vid is a bit weird (distant trees are visible, when the car body itself should have been in the way).

On a totally unrelated topic: I hate hate haaaaaaate the Shift2 blurry cockpit thing at speed. Let me look where I want, don't blur things because I probably wouldn't be looking at them in real life ;)

11. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

You are right there are some, when I saw the video I didn't noticed that, I was just lookin at the tyres lol. That's a good step in the right direction

PS @ people new to rF2: the video was still without post processing and high frame rate, so lot of room for improvements. Tyre wear model has ben increased by 100x in this WIP video.

Yeah it doesn't look great, there should be mods to remove it in a "lack of grip" forum.

12. 88mphTim

Huh? Realtime reflections have been told about in text, shown in WIP screenshots and shown in action in videos of rFactor 2. Am I missing something, or did you miss something? I can understand you missing one of those but we've mentioned it more than once and shown it more than once, so why am I being shown videos? Color me confused...

edit - I see someone else mentioned this.

13. shum94

shum94 Registered

Make a new video is the only thing i think it could get him to see how well rF2 is doing it lol

14. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Just check screens from C.A.R.S
    No comments.

15. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

A static screenshot won't give a good rapresentation of it because it's static. And words, words are ok but facts are better. Before your post I saw that video of the WIP tyre wear system mentioned above so I noticed the existence of this feature and I don't need more "proofs" about it. But, when the development team is ready you can make 2 or 3 HD videos, you know for marketing. To make other people know about the new graphics, and features. The forum is good, but lot of potential buyers are not in this forum. When the stuff is ready go at inside simracing and make some noise, talk about your stuff like Turn10 and Fanatech. Promote, release videos, interviews, sure you know better than me what to do. I come from GT5 and every GT / FM user is a potential rFactor 2 user too, because when people get tired from console GAMES with good but simplified physics they'll look for some more, so with rFactor2 don't let the iRacing PR bla bla bla brainwash them too much.

16. shum94

shum94 Registered

Details on full
    1080p
    Full Filters

Now show me rFactor 2 in the same conditions Tim please.

17. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

It's DX11 so you need an HIGH end pc to move that stuff at decent frames, and to be honest that video even considered the youtube loss, looks so 30/ 25fps-ish, and I hate such low frame rates. ISI opted for DX9, which is not a resource hog and is still capable of good performances. I think when you reach or exceed the actual consoles racing games details (FM4, GT5, F2011), you have a rock solid frame rate, than it's all about gameplay features. I like SMS team but what's the point of DX11 when you don't have at least 60 fps?

18. shum94

shum94 Registered

Same conditions, i mean i wanna see rF 2 moving in 1080p full details & shadows with the filters on full.
    As for Dx 11 it's another debate. We wont have it, no need to discuss it.

But i'm not affraid to try to get something like c.a.r.s running on my pc. rFactor 2 should be here a long time.
    I dont see why it couldnt shake a good pc from nowadays. And be ok with next year graphic cards.

PS : if you can run Crysis on full, there's no need to be affraid of rFactor 2.

Update : I run C.A.R.S at 50 FPS in 1920x1080 everything maxed out.
    Intel E8400 3.0Ghz @ 3.78 Ghz, ATI 5870, 8 Gb Ram.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2011
  19. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Dear developers rF2. Wake up, stirring quickly, CARS , KartSIM already submitted their capabilities in the video, you only have a WIP pictures and videos ... When you are going to produce your product.
    We did not clear whether the dirt, pollution of asphalt? Dirty car side-load tire ...
    2 weeks ago showed screenshots of HDR ... and silent again ...
    We very much look forward to your detailed news.

20. tyrrel

tyrrel Registered

How do you assess CARS?