"HDR" Screens at RaceDepartment

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 25, 2011.

1. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Poly count isn't everything. I've seen some really kick ass models that were less than 15K triangles. The real artwork is in the texture and material usage. There's no need to add extra polygons when it has no beneficial visual affect. Adding extra polygons where they aren't needed is a waste of power.

The iRacing screens look great, but who's to say that someone with excellent texture skills won't come in and make them look like child's play?

It's really too early to tell what the final result will be. Especially when you see the letters W.I.P. slapped all over the images.

2. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

To be honest I'm more than happy with the WIP graphic of rF2, let's not forget this game will be modded to death, on iracing you have to pay even the air you breath... so at the same level of graphic and phisics I much prefer rF2 over irental... no doubts really.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm amazed how people are apparently able to 'see' poly counts in scenes composed of textured objects.

And I have to wonder why using few polys to make flat or straight objects is a bad thing - surely you don't want a high poly count to make a section of fence, or a simple grandstand, ... ? If you can capture an object and make it look realistic with a low poly count, why add more polys for the sake of it? You can't compare a sparsely-detailed section of a track to one with objects everywhere... of course they'll have different 'levels of detail' - they're different things!

But... I'm probably just a lost cause.

4. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

Can you upload a couple of screenshots please? I would like to see how cool is the stuff you mentioned. To me cool is something like Slightly Mad Studio's 3d models or Enduracers. That's a good level of details, booth for interiors and chassis.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The first thing which would happen if rF2 was released before ISI consider it ready, would be modders asking for things we intend to do anyway - because they need it doing to be able to do what you want them to.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

FYI folks, the RD shots are now posted on our own site.

7. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

I don't need to upload anything at all. Just look at any car done by VirtuaLM, or any other mod team for that matter. How about NAGT? Some of those were 10K triangles. I think WSGT2 has spoiled some of you. WSGT2 is not the end all be all of mods. Do the cars look great? Yeah, of course they do. Do they have to be high poly to look good? Hell no. They absolutely do not. I also happen to know that a lot of models in these racing games such as NFS or Forza have less triangles than a lot of you might think. More isn't always better.

8. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

about 120k polys for the best lod for forza, it's 6 or 7 "normal" cars in rf at this moment.

9. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

If you say so =)

Oh and by the way, 120K? is that all?

10. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Just as a reference..

This is what 120K polygons looks like. If the Forza cars look like this on the track, they sure have a powerful game engine. Looks better than GT5 to me to be honest. Credit goes to Arnold Wong who created this beast.

11. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

gtfreak I judge the results not the poly counts. In the end I don't care how many poligons they used. I just care if the car looks good to me or not. As I said Slightly Mad Studios, Enduracers or Turn10's models could be a good compromise, but let's not go so far back with 3d modelling. Imo there are stuff it shouldn't be converted to the new platform as is. For example, these are a couple of renders from Virtua LM cars
    http://www.virtua-lm.com/renderings/groupc/evo2_1600_1.html
    http://www.virtua-lm.com/renderings/groupc/evo2_1600_4.html
    http://www.virtua-lm.com/renderings/gtx5/935-77_Vegla01_1240.jpg
    http://www.virtua-lm.com/renderings/gtx5/935-77_Martini01_1240.jpg
    with all the due respect nice but... old, it is and looks old sorry. Not something I would like to use in rF2 (graphically speaking).

Now just take a look at WSGT2
    http://www.smcars.net/forums/attach...7071-arnold-wongs-projects-wsgt2rmt_wire2.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UylpaFojO...MBiseTWw/s1600/mp4-12c_aw_studio_1920bolt.jpg
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UylpaFojO...g/ApmuB0GoVUE/s1600/mp4-12c_hdri_2_aw5w6a.jpg
    http://www.virtualr.net/wp-content/gallery/1155/wip2_f1gtrlt_aw7hde.jpg
    another world, there's no much more to say honestly.

What looks good (or acceptable) to you may NOT looks the same to others. You may accept low quality models letting you use more cars and gain fps but the EXPENSE of quality.

12. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Holy cow! That's looks VERY nice!

Those renders from WSGT2 also look great. I wonder if they keep polycount and put them for loda like we see them now :)

13. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

@LesiU

Yes, I believe they use those models for LODa. The car that is 120K triangles I'm not completely sure what he planned on doing with that. It was just something he showed at the beginning of a thread over at SMCars.net.

@THUNDERbreaks

Yes, I would agree the VLM cars you posted are older cars. Those cars were made for F1 2002 and F1 challenge I believe. So we're talking about several years ago when triangle counts actually mattered =). With rFactor2 you're going to see some pretty impressive stuff from VLM. They've been quiet lately, but I can assure you that more doesn't always equal better. if you don't judge what looks good according to polygons... fair enough. Just seems to me that you pick cars that look good that have higher triangle counts than normal and label them as "good". But that's definitely your prerogative.

Also, you don't have to sacrifice quality for triangle counts. You can have high triangle counts and still have high FPS. There are other factors involved, as I'm sure you are probably aware. Good to see those old cars again. haven't had a chance to take a look at them in quite awhile.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Doesn't the rFactor graphics engine have the ability to smooth polygons whose angle differences fall within a specific threshold? So once you use enough to produce that smoothing, any more are redundant... ?

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

automatically? no
    But you may use normal vectors to simulate it out of rfactor, then use such objects in the rf.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2011
  16. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

When modeling a car, using redundant polygons that are on the same plane is a waste. The trick is to use enough polygons for the curves in order for them to look smooth, but to make sure it's just enough to get the curve correct. When you assign smoothing groups in the 3D program it will attempt to smooth (but not add) polygons across different planes when they are attached to each other. I don't believe rFactor has the ability to do this. It's usually done in the 3D program.

17. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

If I'm right Arnold Wong created booth the Lotus and the McLaren's you see in the previous photos, so if the Lotus is 120k polys probably the Mclaren are similar. Now we just need to see how this stuff work in rF2. Videos are welcome, hint hint :)

18. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Actually it's not similar. The models for WSGT2 are around 30-50K triangles give or take. Slightly more for full 360 degree cockpit. You can read the thread over at SMCars.net. I won't bother continuing this conversation in this thread. We've taken it off topic long enough, in my opinion. It's probably a good idea to continue it in this thread...

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/381-rf2-able-to-process-more-polys-or-just-a-rummer

19. racechicken

racechicken Registered

New here and hi to all.
    I`m reading here sometimes the discussions about hdr, bloom...and wondering rfactor2 isn`t released yet but rf1 can be looking so great with the right shaders and plugins. maybe a hin to the staff of isi. ;)

[​IMG]

20. racechicken

racechicken Registered

That is maybe enough for rf2 as well

New here and hi to all.
    I`m reading here sometimes the discussions about hdr, bloom...and wondering rfactor2 isn`t released yet but rf1 can be looking so great with the right shaders and plugins. maybe a hin to the staff of isi. ;)

[​IMG]