Has RF2 reached a level of sophisitcation above 99 % of it's users?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lgel, Jul 8, 2015.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Actually Jim Clark didnt even setup, he just jumped in and did fastest laps than anyone.

2. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  3. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

The title of this thread has reached a level of sophistication above mine.

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

You were always a level above all rest, dont restrain, give it all you got.

5. Eddy

Eddy Registered

This is so true.

6. Kvas

Kvas Registered

This is amazing, thanks. I am taking all in like a sponge :D you see I never raced on a PC, I had consoles for most of my life but when they've released ps4 and my 3 months old steering wheel was obsolete I sold it and build a budget PC, that's why I am lost like this. I researched the topic and most known titles, Project CARS and Asseto Corsa on steam had some bad reviews s so... here I am.

I would like to thank you for all advice you gave me. Sticky with all good advice! make it happen! Collectively you got all the knowledge to teach anyone how to race...

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

90%+ of what you will ever need is in that video. The other is in fiddling with settings and set-ups, but most things you can leave at default until you get consistent enough (able to do 5 laps in a row at +/- 1 second lap time) to be able to really notice the changes.

8. bwana

bwana Registered

Really good to see someone come in here with honest questions and get useful responses by this great community. Will be very interested to see how you progress in RF2 ,post as you go as Im sure there are many who are seeking the same answers and are somewhat shy to post in what is a forum full of experienced sim racers not console jockeys.

Enjoy the ride!! btw the skippys are fantastic to train in as well

9. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

+1

10. matf1

matf1 Registered

Anyone with minimal computer experience(my mum) can deal with rF2 as long as they don't over think things.
    If it's not in a menu, it's in a text document.
    When you unzip/unpack/extract something to change a parameter, you'll have to zip/pack/compress it back up.

It's just the text documents are .json .hdv .scn etc. etc.
    The zip files are rfcmp and MAS
    The rest is just reading, applying some commonsense.

Do I understand this option?
    No, leave it alone then.
    Have you backed up that file before dicking around with it?

Coming from consoles, yeah that would be a challenge but if you create and print out a word document, then you've done something more complicated than adjusting/modding rF2.

*As for the seriousness thing.
    I take it very seriously, not to the point where I'd have to admit a problem, but maybe not so far away.
    When I didn't, I didn't much enjoy the genre.

11. rhamm

rhamm Registered

12. Kvas

Kvas Registered

I am not computer illiterate, just don't know PC gaming, nothing google can't fix with a bit of time searching, which I don't have.

At the moment it's just like in Dirt 3 on my ps3 :)

I've tried Clio and it's got strange clicking noise while slipping, traction controll? dunno, its annoying.
    68 F1 though is a lot of fun, it's impossible to keep it steady, this should be in the demo, the feel of it is spot on, like being strapped to a rocket.
    Karts are great too.

13. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yup, that's the TC, like a spark cut system. Same sound for the pit limiter

Yes, those 60's F1 cars are what got me into rF2 in the first place. Coming from Simbin sims though.
    It does feel impossible, but something about it feels right, in that once you have done a handful of laps, it feels quite steady and easy to control. You get more confident in what the car can do, and how you can drive it and use the throttle to influence it. That's what always got me confused, when people said the Brabham felt like ice to drive. Any car over it's limits is going to seem like it's on ice, it's sliding around and no longer in control. But use the throttle to load it up right, control those mini slides, it feels so lovely.

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1 that is what made GPL demo so great, you can just chuck donuts and get wrapped in "inertia immersion" even in a F3.

Then you find you can use the thottle and a bit of trail braking to steer it around and get it to do what you intend better then any sim out there.

Not just that it feels good doing ( I am not saying ultra realistic ) ...but not just endless circles either , you can discern myriads of grip levels and under/over steer and chassis ....etc.

If you can't donut a F3 on Monza straight and keep it going without running into a wall keep practicing .............. hehehe

It translates to what Minbull said, if you do donuts and are out of control like on ice you are over driving it. ;)

15. msportdan

msportdan Banned

rf2 still feels like a tech demo for me, with the 4 cpm cars and a handfull of tracks worth playing. I use it as a driving tool to master these few cars a few tracks. FFb feels odd to me sometimes, and feels disjointed from the car sometimes, but thats probably me. I do think i over justify rf2....a lot of you actually do.... for whatever reason i dont know.

there you go guys.... suppose the bashing will come next..

tbh i dont really care...

16. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I think what there is 99% of, is confused people who mistake sophistication and arduous.

Physics, weather, engines etc... Sophisticated.

Accessability, UI, setting up, etc... Arduous.

There is a whole lot about rF2 that is made unnecessarily difficult, particularly the entry. Foyer of rF2 is missing some signs and a doorman, hence the "hard to approach" speech every now and then.
    Driving the cars isn't one of the tedious parts, thats the part that actually makes sense (the important part yes, but..). If only the rest of the package would shine with this kind of "sophistication".

I know, I know
    I'm in no rush here ladies and gents. I approached, ate the worm, and got hooked.

17. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

If you know the bashing it will come next and you also do not care about, you should have a rest from posting the same things all the time. Win win.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm not sure I understand the meaning of the thread. Sophistication I would take to mean its capabilities, what it's able to do, so on one hand I say no because it still lacks some basic features someone looking for a simulation would expect, but then (and really along the same lines) I say no again because how can a sim, attempting to simulate real life, be 'above' its users? Users are very quick to judge whether a game/sim is realistic, without understanding at all what happens in real life. The more complex the simulation the closer to reality it should be, and real is what people (mostly) want, so it can't really go wrong.

But if we're talking about difficulty of getting it set up or installing mods, it's not really a matter of 'reached' because it could get easier in future. It's not like it has to keep getting harder. Even where it is now it's not really much more difficult than rF1 was, it's just different.

As for modding, a completely realistic car simulator that modelled everything would require everything to be set correctly in order to work properly. You couldn't just change a few figures on the engine torque curve, you'd be redesigning the shape and composition of individual components and running tests on them to judge the results and also run some reliability tests to try and ensure the performance still fit into the guidelines you'd decided on. For sure the tyre model is a step in this direction and depending on the application it's less suitable for some people than rF1 was in a results-driven sense, but then rF1 could have been more data driven already.

What I don't actually see is how the original question has anything to do with the content available or its quality. Maybe that's just me.

19. Minibull

Minibull Member

I was wondering when his next 180 degree turn would come...XD

20. msportdan

msportdan Banned

i didnt mean that as bad as it came out, but its always been in my feelings about rf2. I never said it was crap, its not..
    i respect the work you put into it, just think it could be "more".