Has RF2 reached a level of sophisitcation above 99 % of it's users?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lgel, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

+4

2. Kvas

Kvas Registered

I think you are a little bit too serious with this, it's just a game after all not real life, and as you mentioned not expensive to try out, although £60 is still pretty steep for a game. Everyone was a noob once even old hats, everyone has to learn, it's just... For some reason, hart to find information here quickly.
    I would at least expect some kind of tutorial for newcomers where to start, what servers join, IRC channel etc.

3. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

I bet you only have the components installed. The mod usually is created by the server admin. Just try to join a race, rF2 will download and install the mod automatically. If there are any missing components you will get a list of them with the ability to download them. This only works if the components have a valid download URL, if not you have to download the components manually.

4. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Think what you want but that doesn't change what it is. I always chuckle when people call a sim a game and then proceed to explain what it should be because it is a game but isn't LOL

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Best places to recommend are DD's F3Rookies and BB's F3Fanatics.

60's F3 and F2 are the best cars for newcomers, DD and BB usually run on their servers ISI standard (almost) stuff so you should be able to join easily.
    Both Durge Driven and Bryan Birtwell are fantastic guys always eager to help, Birtwell is also on TeamSpeak all the time so he will help you verbally as well.
    Dont be intimidated if you dont see people around, just do a couple of laps and many chances people will join if they see activity.

Btw being a newcomer never stopped me joining anywhere, be experienced guys or noobs.
    If a server is not locked, that means passers by are welcome.
    Just say "hi" when you enter, most of the times you will be treated with a nice set then ;)

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

7. stonec

stonec Registered

It's a sim, not a game. Much of the code used by rF2 is in use in rF Pro (the simulator that 90% of F1 teams are running, which costs like 1 billion).

8. David Wright

David Wright Registered

Strange that ISI seem to think its a game. As has been discussed ad nauseum, there is no contradiction between the term game and simulation.

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Calling rf2 a game is very unwise, people are way to serious with all this and you are hurting their feelings man.

But for the rest you're right, there could be a bit more for newcomers, some have been saying this for quite a while but it's unlikely to change from ISI's side.
    But that's because of their philosophy of creating an open source platform. we are expected to build from there, so if you want more info on things, or have something else, you gotta create it yourself or help others creating something. Or hope someone does it for you.
    Or - as I would suggest- ask away, plenty of helpful peeps here.

The crossover can be a daunting task indeed, no matter your desires in this, it is and probably always will be a platform by motorgeeks for motorgeeks. it was like this with rf1, it will be like this with rf3 most likely so gotta accept what is and decide whether you want to go back and forth between absolute joy (on track) and quite some hurdles to figure things out (of track)

But do yourself a favour, don't call it a game, even if you think it is, or you think you are entitled to your own opinion, you simply will get allot of (misplaced) disrespect and that's counter-productive in your situation :)

10. rer8

rer8 Registered

Excellent post, and I would like to add that there are a few online pickup games that are frequently available, and have generally patient drivers (teachers) that can make the transition from "totally lost" to "beginning to love the simulator" occur in a reasonable time frame. I might suggest "F3 Rookies" as a good place to start. Most days I have a server up with various cars and tracks with a few guys who, like me, are addicted to the sim. My game name is generally ! ! KSR. Another is CACRACE * or Cactus Racing *. Be patient and you too may become an avid fan. Good Luck.

One final note, many of the hosted games have TeamSpeak 3 servers up and that is yet another great way to get over the hump of game management, setups, and developing successful driving skills. :)

11. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Wrong. ISI said it's not the same as driving IRL.

12. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

lol! :D

13. Kvas

Kvas Registered

I don't want any changes, I actually got most answers I had, hopefully. I know it's gonna take time to learn everything but I will enjoy the ride. Only think I would wish it to be is that it was more popular.

Thanks everyone for helping casuall out ;)

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not sure you understood what you replied to.

15. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I got lost at 7 minutes

lool p

Sorry I am with Lgel.

A sim it is never going to give me the honest
    realistic experience you get from a real car.

What then is the point of relating everything from real race cars like it matters that much.

What are you going to win a championship trophy, get a new contract lmao

I learned to drive when I was 5 from 1000's of miles in paddock bashers

None of that video will help you woop me in a F3 Eve anyways. :p

I think most of you take it all too seriarse

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

+1, and an extra "+1" for the highlighted part.

18. David Wright

David Wright Registered

As Tim said, I don't think you understood my post.

I meant ISI refer to rF2 as both a game and as a sim. The terms are not contradictory.

For example

From Build 906 changelog

MULTIPLAYER:
    Broke up installing of downloaded components on multiplayer join so that the options have a chance to update and get a little bit of ui feedback to the user about what the game is doing.

Build 930

FEATURES:
    – Added text values gizmos for wins, starts, average finish, and accumulated points for RFM. Added ability to customize font colors for multiplayer game list.

BUG FIXES / OPTIMIZATIONS:
    – Fixed possible crash that happens upon downloading and then installing components to join a multiplayer game.

MODDING / PUBLIC DEV:
    – Updating SDK with latest content and same UI as the main game.

Build 982

FEATURES:
    - This build represents the first major step in migrating our game rules out of the base game and into plugins.
    - Adjustment parameters for multiview are now available in config.ini. You must manually edit the values in this file until the in-game tool is available.

19. stonec

stonec Registered

rF2 is as much of a game to me as those good old flight simulators (before time they got extinct). In other words, 99% sim features and 1% game features.

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

See my answer above, I was not trying to be a troll. Honest lol

I understand data and its usefulness.

But my main aversion to all this is personal.

My cars are Historics 1960s.

Jim Clark, how much data did he have ?

Answer is barely none, he drove as all drivers did of the time , " by the seat of their pants " .

Well may sound strange but that is what I like to do for authenticity.

Jim never had lap sector or tyre temps or motec delta anything.

Why should I do it any different. ? ;)